How'd it go today?

Yes... It's the DF award. I think it stands for distinguished faller... Or is it definitely fancy... Oh wait... It stands for dumb fack award... :P
And don't worry... I have received it several several times here. Always generously offered and embarrassingly received. But well intentioned usually.

Left the house this morning, and there was a possum sitting next to the garage looking at me. While I was talking to him, I noticed another one right around the corner. This place is turning into possum central. Their winter coats were marginally better looking than summer. Still ugly animals, but they have cute ears.

Laid out a couple buildings in the city today. Too warm outside. Makes me feel sick til I get used to it. I hate when the weather changes for the warmer. 70° today. Hard to see, but there's a circular structure by the guy with the shovel. It was gone about 10 minutes after I took the pic. Old cesspit? Kinda interesting...

20210309_123507.jpg

Those are shoring piles. They get driven(augured in this case), and oak timbers get placed between them to support excavation. They'll dig down, add footers, then build up from there. My boss is running this show, so I'm not intimately familiar with how the building's laid out. It'll be 3 story when finished, and probably a basement. You can see some marking paint on that back wall. We laid out column lines around the whole thing so they can get the columns in correctly. It got nails driven in the street on two sides, and I put Xcuts in the walls on the other two sides. I use a piece of hacksaw blade clamped in vicegrips with a strapping metal straightedge to make the Xcuts. Makes a nice fine line, and is easy to do aside from gnarly concrete.

A bunch of years ago I had to pin a footer on a hotel(You put a nail or some kind of mark on every corner the block sits), and the concrete was way too rough for an Xcut. Whatever mix they used was also hard as shit, and I couldn't drive a masonry nail with hammer(the traditional way). Had to run out to homedepot and get a powder actuated nailer to do the job. If I hadn't done that, I'd probably still be out there trying to get nails in the footer :^D

A bunch of years ago I had to pin a footer on a hotel(You put a nail or some kind of mark on every corner the block sits), and the concrete was way too rough for an Xcut. Whatever mix they used was also hard as shit, and I couldn't drive a masonry nail with hammer(the traditional way). Had to run out to homedepot and get a powder actuated nailer to do the job. If I hadn't done that, I'd probably still be out there trying to get nails in the footer :^D

That sounds like a job for a battery operated SDS-plus with a small diameter bit.

I think that was under consideration. It's been a long time, but I seem to remember going to homedepot without a firm plan. I just had to do something different than what I was doing. I ended up in the nailer section, and got a Ramset single shot nailer. I still have it, but it needs to be rebuilt. I seem to remember that building had 88 nails that had to be set. I was lovin' that nailer about 5 nails in when I got used to the routine. So much better than trying to get them in with a hammer :^)

Back