How'd it go today?

Heading up to Spring City, PA this morning to pick up a State Spindle Sander for the wood shop.
Older machine, with a 20" x 24" table, nine spindles and eight throat plates.

Then a bloody meeting with some church members where I manage their IT needs... I need to quit that gig. Mostly frustrating as 99% of their issues are due to PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard).

My length of Hawkeye came, so maybe after that I can have some fun getting to know the Morgan Block's capabilities.

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 6.45.30 AM.png

Hawkeye.jpg

Then a bloody meeting with some church members where I manage their IT needs... I need to quit that gig. Mostly frustrating as 99% of their issues are due to PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard).

Haha,

My dad is 74 and suffers from an extreme version of PEBCAK. He somehow manages to delete things instead of closing them. Usually pretty important stuff and then gets pissed off at me when I try and help him over FaceTime.

The conversation usually has the line below included in it. Often more than once.

"I am not the one who pressed delete, so wind your neck in, I am trying to help you"

Last edited:
My mother's getting senile. I tried to idiotproof the computer as much as I could, but she's beaten me. She doesn't really use it anymore, and I'm not gonna waste my time trying to tell her something she used to kinda sorta know.

Lazy day. I meant to be busier, but I was up too late last night, and didn't have an abundance of energy. I did get to use my 362 a little today. I had a log I wanted to trim the end of, and since I had it out, I cut down an annoying shrub thing the birds planted. I have them around the property, and this particular one was always in the way mowing the grass. I left everything scattered on the hill. I want to use a smaller saw to break it all down. The 362's way overkill for that. I'll get it tomorrow.

I'm always pleased when I get to use the 362. I like that saw a lot, but haven't had a lot of use for it this last year. I did have one small problem. When stumping the shrub, the chain grabbed a loose stub and impaled it on the dogs stopping everything. Took a bit to get everything unstuck.

Cut some Bass tracks for an online collaboration the afternoon.

As my computers get older it gets harder & harder to share files with people. The file sharing took longer than cutting the tracks:X

My Jeep saga continues. After getting the wheel off, I stripped the head off of a caliper bolt. After attempting options A through D, I cut the head off with an angle grinder. $100 bucks for a bokt and caliper later, I was back on the road. I had to do a little off roading to get to some nice pines I need to cut tomorrow, and on the way home the Jeep started to shake violently over 45 mph, and then started to make a knocking noise directly proportional to speed. I stopped a couple of times, but could find nothing wrong. Once I got home I could jack it up for closer inspection. Not only did I find the clunking, which was the front differential, I discovered that the right rear wheel bearing is gone, too. Now, normally, having just collected $100 from a friend for gas money, you would expect the Jeep to demand about half of whatever is in your pocket. This is why you never conduct business in front of or in sight of your Jeep. However, I feel that this level of breakdown is inversely proportional to the amount of money in my pocket. Perhaps the Jeep feels entitled to some sort of stimulus reward due to hearing about all these Covid relief checks. I certainly received no Covid relief, but if I had, I certainly would have treated the Jeep to an oil change and topped off the washer fluid. Maybe I'll show it a picture of what happened to its predecessor yesterday. It wasn't pretty.

My 97 Cherokee was my most problem free vehicle ever. It needs some work at 220k to make it fully road worthy, but ya gotta expect that at those miles. AFAIK, it still has the original clutch. I bought it at 60k, and I never replaced it.

Sounds more like a network issue than a hardware issue.

don't know :dontknow:

I've been previously kicked off GDrive and dropbox completely due to "out of date"...can't upgrade anymore...
For a while they wouldn't let me operate there at all...today I seem to have gotten through on GDrive, though had some troubles with sharing accessibility.

At least I eventually got it figured out and the person I did it for was happy:)

Ah, you must be on XP. Checkout Mega for sharing large files. They have a generous free tier, and afaik it still works on XP. We have a couple XP machines at work, and I setup a mega account for the engineer to use, I haven't heard any complaints.

The PC has XP, yes. the macbook doesn't.

They have mentioned my browsers being outdated/no longer supported too

Here's a nice awful hinge for you guys...

IMG_20210307_120124.jpg

Lost this one sideways. I knew it was gonna be an issue, but nothing to hurt no matter what happened, so I figured I'd play. It had a heavy lean at 9 O'clock, and a slight lean to 6 O'clock. I made the face, bored the hinge and stuck a wedge in. My plan was to virtually cut through the hinge at 9, and leave it thick at 3. As you can see, I really missed the 3 side. I was cutting a little blind since the other side of the codom was there. Not much of an excuse though. I was just rushing and not really paying attention.

That tree had zero holding ability. I'm not sure it would have worked if I had cut it perfectly. The other half really should come out too, but I'm gonna leave it for the time being. Even though it's in a terrible place, I kind of like it, but it'll definitely have to come down at some point.

Otherwise, it was a pretty decent day. Got most of the mess I made yesterday cleaned up, and cleaned up some other trashy stuff in the yard. Supposed to get warm this week. Hoping it isn't here to stay. Seems like winter was hardly here, and I'm not ready for summer yet(ever).

Next time, try boring behind the hinge dont gut the face/hinge/letter box. Then, once you can fit wedges behind the hinge, set them good, but careful not to lift and break the hinge. Now you can work the back strap and work your wedges from the side to ooff set the lean a bit. If you need another wedge on one side, bore a tad further back below where the wedge is behind the hinge.
Like Sean stacks wedges in bore cuts, using the wood between to lift against the stacked wedges.
Clear as mud eh? :lol:

I think I got it, but I'm not sure it would have worked on this. This thing was little; maybe 8" at the cut, so not much room to get it to move. Also, very brittle. It practically jumped off the stump. Those little rounds you see split were done one handed, and not particularly energetically. I'm gonna keep that in mind though. Work through it in my head a bit more.

The other stem is a little bigger and much more plumb, though it still has a slight lean to 6, but it also has more chance of doing some damage if I dick it up. I'll put a line in that one when it comes down. I especially don't trust myself with the brittle wood. Good strong fibers can cover a lot of sins. I don't think it would take much to lift the whole thing off the stump snapping the hingewood. It's some kind of cherry the birds planted. It's growing next to the basement entrance, and is starting to crack the masonry. It shades my kitchen window though, and gets nice flowers so I like it. I figured I'd start with the leaner since it can torque around more in the wind, and it was also shading my blueberries. I'm thinking it might have been the cause of my poor harvest the last couple years :shrugs:

Here's a nice awful hinge for you guys...

View attachment 108810

Lost this one sideways. I knew it was gonna be an issue, but nothing to hurt no matter what happened, so I figured I'd play. It had a heavy lean at 9 O'clock, and a slight lean to 6 O'clock. I made the face, bored the hinge and stuck a wedge in. My plan was to virtually cut through the hinge at 9, and leave it thick at 3. As you can see, I really missed the 3 side. I was cutting a little blind since the other side of the codom was there. Not much of an excuse though. I was just rushing and not really paying attention.

That tree had zero holding ability. I'm not sure it would have worked if I had cut it perfectly. The other half really should come out too, but I'm gonna leave it for the time being. Even though it's in a terrible place, I kind of like it, but it'll definitely have to come down at some point.

Otherwise, it was a pretty decent day. Got most of the mess I made yesterday cleaned up, and cleaned up some other trashy stuff in the yard. Supposed to get warm this week. Hoping it isn't here to stay. Seems like winter was hardly here, and I'm not ready for summer yet(ever).
My eyes! !

I think I got it, but I'm not sure it would have worked on this. This thing was little; maybe 8" at the cut, so not much room to get it to move. Also, very brittle. It practically jumped off the stump. Those little rounds you see split were done one handed, and not particularly energetically. I'm gonna keep that in mind though. Work through it in my head a bit more.

The other stem is a little bigger and much more plumb, though it still has a slight lean to 6, but it also has more chance of doing some damage if I dick it up. I'll put a line in that one when it comes down. I especially don't trust myself with the brittle wood. Good strong fibers can cover a lot of sins. I don't think it would take much to lift the whole thing off the stump snapping the hingewood. It's some kind of cherry the birds planted. It's growing next to the basement entrance, and is starting to crack the masonry. It shades my kitchen window though, and gets nice flowers so I like it. I figured I'd start with the leaner since it can torque around more in the wind, and it was also shading my blueberries. I'm thinking it might have been the cause of my poor harvest the last couple years :shrugs:
These are pretty good sized wedges, but smaller with a fast taper works fine.
Not my best stump doing it, but here ya go. Bored a little close on one side. Needed it to the right anyway.
You can also practice at cutting the back cut first, then set a wedge and face cut it. Takes some practice though and feels just wrong as you learn.
And just plain pulling it with rope is not a sin. IMG_20150917_090301116_HDR.jpg IMG_20150917_090252010_HDR.jpg

Changed the oil in the Subaru today. For the life of me I can't figure out how to record that in the on board computer thingy. Just started a notebook instead which has worked just fine forever. Simpler is better right?

Back