How'd it go today?

Same here Ixskllr, but then, we disconnected our central heat. Weird coincidence, in that I'm burning (we don't really have too much of it native here) Cherry right now too. I'm burning it green. DANG green Cherry burns forever and a day...

3Bl0Fiy.jpg

BYXiRLn.jpg

7Il2SvK.jpg

Got a patter for a Leatherman Wave case off the internet.

Turned out pretty well I think. Bled a lot. Two needle saddle stitch.

Third was a wallet I made a couple days ago.

Pretty work, Jim. I need a new belt scabbard for my old SOG utility tool. I might look online for a pattern...never thought of that.

I used a throw line to shake an RC airplane out of a hackberry. Those hackberries are like velcro, but I got this one out. The last time I got one out I had to shake it so hard it fell apart. A tornado wouldn't have got that plane out. I might post a video if I can find the footage.

Jim, nice case. Did you use an awl or needles like you mentioned. I'm asking cuz I thought an awl was mandatory for something like that

Yesterday was a finish to an absolute nightmare job. Doing work for "family of an employee": take down of a 40 ft. Tree of Hell impeding the neighbor's house, and then removal of a 50+ foot lead off the parent Tree of Hell (tree is at least 90' tall) with structural issues threatening the owner's deck/house in a tight back yard.. Gave him a "family & friend's price" for a 8-10 hour job in September, but weather/scheduling made it impossible to get to until just last week. Bonus, he's ~60 miles away, so long ass drive in the trucks. Renegotiated to cover short trip one day for the small tree and rigging setup for the lead, then a medium size day the next to do the lead, chip, stack wood and clean up. So here's the timeline of the fun that occurred:

Day One, 11/29: Relative brush monkey and I headed up in pickup, took down small tree, then spent 2+ hours setting the retrievable rings and climb rope throw lines for the lead removal the next day. The tree was surrounded by smaller, limb filled trees from all yards around, and numerous limbs in every possible angle on itself, so my line throwing options were limited. Multiple Big-Shot attempts, had to retrieve a wayward, snagged line/weight, and do multiple re-positions to get the throw line for my climb line straight. Left throw lines in place to run ropes next morning. This was the best day (6 hrs. total, only 1 hr. longer than expected).

Day 2, 11/30: Headed up early, took almost 90 mins to get there due to speed limit of chip truck, unloaded and prepped area to go to work. Donned my gear and then looked around and had to exclaim "Guys, where's the climbing rope bag?!?!?" One of them had left it next to the pickup in my driveway, so it was now a 2+ hour round trip to go back and get it! (AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!) Put a heavy foot on the ride back in the pickup while they stayed behind and helped the relative with some small add-ons, and wonderful day, the transmission in the pickup crapped out. Limped home (thankfully didn't need a tow), but ended up burning an extra hour swapping into the SUV and grabbing extra gear for the return trip. By the time I got back, only had enough time to de-limb the lead b4 daylight ran out, and I had a family affair I had to attend to, so had to leave it incomplete and plan a return trip the following weekend for the 45' of stem wood that needed to be rigged out due to tight quarters (I'm still nursing the corporate gig until year end, so weekends only). BONUS: Weather forecasted 12-18 inches of wet, heavy snow the next day, so we had to pull all the gear/lines and do it again next weekend. 11.5 hrs total, and not finished (I can feel the splintered telephone pole now entering my sphincter :cry:).

Day 3, 12/8: Knew I should only need 1-1.5 hrs to get the lead rigged/down and cut up, but had to deal with the nightmare of resetting the lines again. BONUS 2: The snow hadn't fully melted, so the lead was covered with 3" of snow and ice, making it all the more fun to shimmy and climb. (Amusing aside, as I didn't need the chip truck, the crew and I pulled a "Dan the Tree Man" and went up in the family mini-van. Bonus to those who get that reference ;) ). Managed to screw 2 throwlines this time, and that added 2 hours of extra fun getting them out. Plus, the homeowner started to haggle on the renegotiated price, even though I had explained it fully up front, and I was not charging for the extra trips/time back up. What should have been a four hour day turned into 8 hours, and by the time I got back, missed out on some daylight estimates and the firehouse Santa ride I was supposed to be on. I made almost no money on the job, and to boot, anything left is going towards the rebuilt trans on the pickup.

A hell of a learning experience, and thankfully, I still had the Taliskers Distillers left to somewhat soothe me and keep me from being a total nightmare to deal with back home.

Hope y'all enjoyed this "Tale from the Crypt"....

Last edited:
Cory, I dont have a stitching awl.....yet. Just a scratch awl....although I plan on getting one.

I used what is called stitching chisels or "pricking irons".

You first lay out a groove with an adjustable groover, then you go along the groove with the chisels. They are used to cut the stitching holes. They come in different sizes and spacings.

Also they will cut from one hole to 6 or more at a time.

The traditional way is to saddle stitch with an awl....and I will get one someday. Where I dont have a stitching pony yet......the pricking irons method works best for me right now.

A stitching pony is a clamp that holds the work for you.

Yesterday was a finish to an absolute nightmare job. Doing work for "family of an employee": take down of a 40 ft. Tree of Hell impeding the neighbor's house, and then removal of a 50+ foot lead off the parent Tree of Hell (tree is at least 90' tall) with structural issues threatening the owner's deck/house in a tight back yard.. Gave him a "family & friend's price" for a 8-10 hour job in September, but weather/scheduling made it impossible to get to until just last week. Bonus, he's ~60 miles away, so long ass drive in the trucks. Renegotiated to cover short trip one day for the small tree and rigging setup for the lead, then a medium size day the next to do the lead, chip, stack wood and clean up. So here's the timeline of the fun that occurred:

Day One, 11/29: Relative brush monkey and I headed up in pickup, took down small tree, then spent 2+ hours setting the retrievable rings and climb rope throw lines for the lead removal the next day. The tree was surrounded by smaller, limb filled trees from all yards around, and numerous limbs in every possible angle on itself, so my line throwing options were limited. Multiple Big-Shot attempts, had to retrieve a wayward, snagged line/weight, and do multiple re-positions to get the throw line for my climb line straight. Left throw lines in place to run ropes next morning. This was the best day (6 hrs. total, only 1 hr. longer than expected).

Day 2, 11/30: Headed up early, took almost 90 mins to get there due to speed limit of chip truck, unloaded and prepped area to go to work. Donned my gear and then looked around and had to exclaim "Guys, where's the climbing rope bag?!?!?" One of them had left it next to the pickup in my driveway, so it was now a 2+ hour round trip to go back and get it! (AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!) Put a heavy foot on the ride back in the pickup while they stayed behind and helped the relative with some small add-ons, and wonderful day, the transmission in the pickup crapped out. Limped home (thankfully didn't need a tow), but ended up burning an extra hour swapping into the SUV and grabbing extra gear for the return trip. By the time I got back, only had enough time to de-limb the lead b4 daylight ran out, and I had a family affair I had to attend to, so had to leave it incomplete and plan a return trip the following weekend for the 45" of stem wood that needed to be rigged out due to tight quarters (I'm still nursing the corporate gig until year end, so weekends only). BONUS: Weather forecasted 12-18 inches of wet, heavy snow the next day, so we had to pull all the gear/lines and do it again next weekend. 11.5 hrs total, and not finished (I can feel the splintered telephone pole now entering my sphincter :cry:).

Day 3, 12/8: Knew I should only need 1-1.5 hrs to get the lead rigged/down and cut up, but had to deal with the nightmare of resetting the lines again. BONUS 2: The snow hadn't fully melted, so the lead was covered with 3" of snow and ice, making it all the more fun to shimmy and climb. (Amusing aside, as I didn't need the chip truck, the crew and I pulled a "Dan the Tree Man" and went up in the family mini-van. Bonus to those who get that reference ;) ). Managed to screw 2 throwlines this time, and that added 2 hours of extra fun getting them out. Plus, the homeowner started to haggle on the renegotiated price, even though I had explained it fully up front, and I was not charging for the extra trips/time back up. What should have been a four hour day turned into 8 hours, and by the time I got back, missed out on some daylight estimates and the firehouse Santa ride I was supposed to be on. I made almost no money on the job, and to boot, anything left is going towards the rebuilt trans on the pickup.

A hell of a learning experience, and thankfully, I still had the Taliskers Distillers left to somewhat soothe me and keep me from being a total nightmare to deal with back home.

Hope y'all enjoyed this "Tale from the Crypt"....
No good deed goes unpunished... Always work that way I think. At least you got some money, maybe broke even and nobody got hurt maybe no equipment broken.... except for your transmission... Sorry about that one. Call it education and move on. Friends can be expensive to work for.

Cool, Jim.

I'm an awl guy, haven't tried the stuff you mentioned. Awl works pretty well

I use a Myers sewing awl for leather. I got something similar from horrible freight, but I broke all the chinesium needles. I need to dig up my real ones.

Didn't do a thing today. Took off cause of rain, went out to do some jul shopping, but I wasn't feeling it. Didn't get a single gift. A couple weeks ago I noticed there was a Popeyes in town now. I wanted to get that for lunch, but they aren't open yet. Settled for taco bell. Kind of a lame day all around.

Friends and Family, outside of your parents or someone who raised you, needs to be on your schedule.

Any more, I'm trying not to take new people outside my very local area. I forgot my polesaw powerhead on the bench, after a broken bolt extraction the other day, 20 minutes round trip, with a stop inside the house. No more cross-towns with a chip truck if I can help it. Being able to limp a vehicle home can be a huge save. I had my chip truck towed when the clutch went out, almost on fire twice as a result. Two tow bills. The tow truck driver wanted to talk to me about a tree at his house. I had to walk away so he'd focus on the tow at hand. Didn't disconnect the parking brake all the way, didn't test it. Brakes were smoking something serious by the time he got to the destination.

Finished up some view work for a new customer down the road from me. He's doing all the clean-up! He added a few things, which was fine by me, especially with no clean-up. I have lots of motivation to make messes for customers. More than I have for raking.

Had a couple more bids come in, and request for an estimate for an HOA I've done work for over the years, steadily. Some are greenbelt hazard trees that get to stay in place!

Loader is getting close to reassembled.

Just got some pics from my old groundman, now carpentering, setting trusses on a building.

@August Hunicke , be very very very careful what extra side work you do with that crane. Tree work is exempt from ncco certifications, not much else is. The fines could literally bankrupt you if you are caught. I would also advise deleting the post, and not making a video of it

Lol, i agree to a point, but that needs to be taken down now. Even accessing the top of the tank like that is a huge no no in construction, I'm talking 6 figure fines, no friggin' joke. That would be considered construction, falling under cco requirements, including operator, rigger, and signalman, which i would bet my house no one there has. Not discussing the politics of it, but that needs to go bye bye immediately.

Back