How'd it go today?

Yup, wayyyyyyyyyy better than I'll ever be. I would also run screaming like a toddler when all the wasps were swarming :lol:

Not much.
Hung some xmas light at a buddies dads house who just pasted away, a old school tree guy who would always decorate this spruce in front of his yard. My friend wanted to surprise his mom how is out of town with a lit tree so I helped.

Did some good work for a neighbor of an existing client. Got two good high TIPs in two good sized maples. Swung around, pruned them here, swung over there, did some there, swung into two adjacent trees. Some ground pruning. Hourly. started with the two maples. He's cleaning it up. Looks really good. EZPZ.
More on Thursday.

Yesterday, someone was LifeFlight'ed from Olympia to Seattle Harborview Hospital with the serious trauma unit. A removal gone wrong. Somehow the climber was well up the tree, and get knocked out, broken helmet, saw dangling still running. Local Fire/ Rescue got him down. Nearby they had a helicopter land at the Evergreen State College campus. Evidently, locally they have tree rescue trained Rescue Team. Stands to reason.

This seems to be on topic...

How do you greet someone who is dying? Everyone who knows me here or IRL ALWAYS greets me with a "How ya doing?" which is OK, then ALWAYS say "How ya feeling?" That's the one I friggin hate. They definitely don't wanna hear the truth on that! And I hear it 3 ten times a day and it depresses to no end!
I understand its a hard question to answer... Anyone have any thoughts?
If someone asked me how I was feeling, I'd say "I feel like shit, but whatever...". "As good as can be expected..." would be a runner up.

If I asked, and you replied the above, I'd likely say "Sucks dude. Anything I can do for you?". Kind of a shitty situation all around. It's just uncomfortable and awkward. Just gotta muddle through it.

If someone asked me how I was feeling, I'd say "I feel like shit, but whatever...". "As good as can be expected..." would be a runner up.

If I asked, and you replied the above, I'd likely say "Sucks dude. Anything I can do for you?". Kind of a shitty situation all around. It's just uncomfortable and awkward. Just gotta muddle through it.

The reason I ask someone how he/she is doing if because I care and I want to hear the good and the bad. Often, I find that it is better to shut the f up than make someone struggle through small talk.

I got stuck into a decent size horse Chesnut removal today- too much rigging against the wind to be much fun. Off to see the consultant about my baby hernia- hopefully get it sorted ASAP.
If I ask how someone is, I also am ready for the truth - no point asking otherwise

Not a lot of details.

Its satisfying when you spend money on something and can see a difference. Oil changes aren't noticeable. Got the tires rotated and balance, and it rides much nicer at highway speeds on my new-to-me van, ready for a Christmas time road trip.

Haven't really needed my loader much...its almost back together. Got the injectors tested, trying to see if the vibration is due to a bad injector. No problem with the injectors. Might just be the engine, and that it's hard-mounted. No AV. Only at certain ranges. Weird. I hear some Kubota 3 cylinders vibrate a lot.
No sign of any obstruction in the hydraulic tank that would cause any problem of the collapsing supply hose. We are going to try to put an elbow in place of a bend. Weird.
Fresh fluids all around are going to be good.

Taking the kid for an eye exam and glasses at lunchtime.

Drinking some coffee and going to do some customer correspondence.

So, i tried to swipe a card yesterday and could just not get it to take on the app. . Signal, card... who knows. So HO only has a certain on line pay app I do not. But I agree to do the transaction.....
Two days later, many phone calls after a trip to the bank to get it sorted.... finally got paid.
Bank teller typo...........................
Me after finally getting the transaction verification code to take.......

Attachments

• d20ffd08-3f86-4531-9e30-cc8d1ab8fffb.mp4
    420.4 KB
Well I learned how to change a leaf spring on my trailer. Realized one was broken on the way down to the family farm on Monday. I tied the broken piece up and drove on down and got to scrounge around down here and my cousin had a leftover spring from a trailer he dismantled. It's special order to get the proper spring down here so I'll have to get it when I'm back home later. I put my cousins spring on tonight and so far it seems to be okay. Course in the midst of doing all that I discovered I got a screw in a tire so I get to go get a patch tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20191204_163330.jpg
    20191204_163330.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20191204_184404.jpg
    20191204_184404.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20191204_212157.jpg
    20191204_212157.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20191204_232801.jpg
    20191204_232801.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Yup, i make wedges for getting gaps right in welding out of them, called either a wedge or spacing tool depending on who you are working with.

Bad news. Heal up, George.

Set up a highline for the first time. HTP between two trees with two base-ties. Clove hitched a biner for my rope-end, and clove-hitched a pulley-biner for a 3:1. Worked out easy enough. Hung off DrenaLine. Stretchy(n)

Love HTP.

On stream restoration job #2 today. The part I started on was a muddy mess. They almost got the excavator stuck before I got there today, and I got pretty well stuck in the mud too. Lots of clay, so the leg you're standing on buries while you try to get the other foot unstuck. A couple times I had to layout my stake bag to distribute pressure, and use it as a platform to get myself out. Tedious...

Plus side is got my shipment of snus and salty licorice candy, and my shipment of pretzels came in. Some of the pretzels are for me, and some are jul gifts.

Did a big walnut limb over a house. It had been cabled before but had failed. Fairly easy with the GRCS.

I'm happy for you that you didn't need to unstick an excavator.

I was talking to the foreman today, and he mentioned a job he saw on the way to another job. The company was working in a swamp, and had mats laid out for the excavator to sit on. Looked fine when he passed it in the morning. On the way back home in the afternoon, he saw the excavator buried with only the boom above ground. The rest of the machine was gone. He figured they just left it there, and filed an insurance claim. That's a bad day!

Either the mats outright sank, or they capsized. Sounded like the only thing visible was the boom.

Not a good week. Monday morning... Our shop got robbed over the holiday weekend. Nothing major taken but frustrating just the same; a fiberglass 8' step ladder, a spare tire and wheel for one of the trailers, two sets of premium jumper cables, and a 50' air hose on a wind-up reel.
Then this morning I got rear-ended on the way to the job. A Ford Explorer ran into the trailer carrying my Nifty Lift. Surprisingly little damage to the lift basket but a lot of damage to the Explorer.
12-5-19 Ford Explorer damage.jpg
12-5-19 Nifty basket damage.jpg
We sat on the side of the road for nearly 3 hours waiting for Florida Highway Patrol to show up. They never came so we exchanged info and went to work.

Back