How'd it go today?

That sucks Mellow. I despise thieves. I had some gear stolen from work earlier this year. Lost a ms362, and a srm410 brushcutter. I had some intel on a suspect, but I couldn't prove anything. Probably just as well. He'd have been dead or in the hospital, and I'd be in jail.

florida is wild, hence the acronym WTF... what the florida

Hey at least you have a shop to rob!

Nice Jim!

Crap deal, Mellow, hope insurance comes through.

During my drive yesterday morning from the GF's place in Waterford I heard WOWO on the AM radio!

Back from some time off any kind of work. Locked myself out of the house because the house keys are missing from the new to me car key chain. All I wanted was to fire up the car and get a sandwich for lunch. I had to go to my wife's workplace to get the garage door opener.

Bought new boots today. A minor miracle considering my huge paddle feet. Danners, never had any of their shoes before. Jayne Atkinson popped in the store to drop off some shoes. Didn't realize who it was until she was walking out the door. Never know who you'll see around here.

I have a enough combat boots and BDU/ACUs to outfit a platoon :^D

They aren't absolutely hard to find, but they can be tricky to find used and cheap, so I grab them when I can, and squirrel them away. Been thinking I may have enough to last the rest of my life now. I still get boots when I see them, but started only getting camo patterns I especially like. There was a big dump when the army switched from universal camo, so lots of acus showed up in the thrift stores, and that's what I have the most of.

Kid's no longer sick, so that was a great thing to wake up to. Read a lot of Harry Potter, cozied up in the bed together this morning. Some sidewalk chalk. A bit of surfing. A bit of grocery shopping. She ran off to play with friends some more, down the street. This has turned into a good street with numerous kids her age and a bit older.

Bought new boots today. A minor miracle considering my huge paddle feet. Danners, never had any of their shoes before. Jayne Atkinson popped in the store to drop off some shoes. Didn't realize who it was until she was walking out the door. Never know who you'll see around here.

Who is Jayne?

I've been wearing redwing 608's for awhile now, the uppers are excellent and the sole is chit so I have them resoled after putting wear on the OE sole. Its' kinda dumb, I can't believe I wear boots with chitty traction when new. So now I found the resoler who my retailer had sent them to and so I bought a new pair from them at 20% off and had them put on the fine vibram sole right from the get go, should receive the boots next week

Real sloppy job for the team today. Worked for a friend of mine, and all the trees were in neighbor's properties. Took out 6 small to mid-size maples/walnuts pressing against his fence on one side, which should have been a snap except for the 5,000 miles of vines growing through them. Then spent an hour and a half cutting back a weeping willow over his shed and dog houses on the other side, which I couldn't climb because he and that neighbor don't see eye to eye. Was up on the Werner ladder with the 16' pole/pruner taking out about 150 pieces from that. When it was all said and done, 5 hours and almost half filled the chip truck. Our friendship may be a tad strained after I give him the bill for this one.... :wickedfart:

Last edited:
Jayne played Erin Strauss on Criminal Minds.

20 years ago I had Red Wing put Vibram soles on two pairs of boots. The soles started to come loose, so the store sent them back and Red Wing refused to fix them, and wouldn't send them back either. Got royally screwed.

5,000 miles of vines growing through them.

I hate vines. As I drive down the road, I see all the trees choked by vines, and wish I could get out there and cut them. I've considered trying to sell a cleanup service. Clear the vines and trash from people's properties for a fee.

There's more vines then there used to be. I've read that poison ivy has increased because it enjoys the increased co2 in the atmosphere, and I suspect other vines are similar.

Red Wing refused to fix them, and wouldn't send them back either.

In what world is that not theft?

I bought a new pair of karakorum la sportiva... and it's like a male version of uggs with vibram.

About 2 years a pair...

Those look like awesome boots, I was thinking of buying a pair but was concerned they might be too dang stiff for walking etc, and they don't look high enough to keep out the sawdust, I hates me some sawdust in da boots. What say you, Bo?

Yeah you hear a lot of bad about redwings. I haven't found anything better yet for my own use though Im always looking. I'm not going to wear a logger heel boot ( though back in the day I loved em), and there are loads of hiking boots that might work real nicely except for the too-short, sawdust in the boots factor

My 3rd pair in a row. I've never had sawdust in my boot... I found a pair online for 260.

Might be your pants inseam more than the boot.
High waters?

My very first boots in fire camp were Irish Setters Redwing... I was a bagger... they were actually a decent all around boot...

Those black logger redwings looked horrid...
I went straight to wesco.... whites and drews were for high enders and sawyers... I was just hot shovel by the time I knew anything about boots... Anyhoo. Back then.

Now... The La Sportiva Karakorum are awesome with Spurs also... they got the Shank.

The stiffness wears off pretty quick.... by the end they are dough sliding in bald to home base....on fire...

Last edited:
Danner makes very good boots, as long as they fit right I think you’ll be happy after they’re broken in... probably... they’re Chinese now too?
Takes some patience with all leather boots, I got some newer loggers that are killing me, Lehigh, they’re nice but the leather seems very very thick and taking some serious time to really break in, so I keep wearing my old Whites and Georgia.

Whenever I got new boots, I'd wear them on easy jobs when I'd be close to the truck til they were broken in. That way I could swap out with my old boots if things got too bad. Better than being in the backcountry with a blister starting.

Thanks for the info, Bo.

Nah my pants are long but ya know when you are flushing a stump or some other weird position, they can ride up a little.

You get 2 years outta them, I'm curious what goes on em after 2 years? Thanks

Damn I love wood heat.

I have a little half acre of woods that is of course chock full of fallen trees and limbs. Lately I've been walking my dog on leash down there cuz he's got a bad ACL. So I drag up one large limb with me and then saw it up and stuff it in stove. More free heat!!

Oh btw, I have one of those stove top fans that runs off the stove heat. Ive had it for years and the performance was always very mixed- sometimes it spun like it was going to helicopter away and other times it was totally weak and slow, regardless of the stove temp. Recently it officially chit the bed so I bought a new motor for it, $20. It now runs full time like a mofo. I think the original motor must have been defective.

I wish I had a woodlot at my house. I wish I had 100ac, and the house right in the middle of it as far as that goes. No neighbors! Been burning cherry so far this year. I got it from work clearing out a fenceline. I had cut it down, and got to thinking about it. Not wanting to see it wasted, I slowly split, and brought a cord of it home. I didn't need it cause I have a few cord of oak still from my big tree that came down, but cherry smells nice, and I couldn't see it simply rotting in a pile. I really like the way it burns. A little quick, but it coals up nice, and doesn't leave a lot of ash. Still have 2/3 a cord left, then back to the oak. Central heat hasn't come on yet this year :^)

Back