How'd it go today?

Preparing the machinery for an overnight two day job on the coast.

This morning watching Wales v South Africa at rugby, later this afternoon Liverpool V Spurs at football, so the armchair is taking a pounding.

Yesterday we went to my cousins in Chicago for trick or treat, had a good time watching the kid cousins play endlessly.
Friday the chipper was feeling iron deficient and ate a t-post hidden in a pile of brush. Not real bad damage but the knives and shear bar are trashed. Off to get parts monday morning.

Try a liquid vitamin next time!

I'm hanging with both of D's cats, introduced last night under the door. Little cucumber kitty is Dahlia's town cat, and Opelle (Opal) is a last year's Christmas cat, out here in the country. Dahlia's home with me a bunch while her mom is out of town for the weekend, and a bunch of work-travel, so it's a new adventure. They are used to smelling each other on D, so they seem to be like, "Don't I know you from somewhere?" and "Have we met?". They've been together for an hour or so, and are doing great.

I didn't think it through, and auto-piloted to build a fire in the wood-stove, first thing this morning, before coffee and cognition kicked in. Opelle learned last year not to jump on the wood stove!

Today I cut down 5 maples killed by the maple's soot. Nasty fungus with soot-like spores which can wreck the lungs. So I was all day long with the respirator mask on my nose. It isn't fun to work with that as it take some effort to either breath in or breath out. On the positive side, I made a big nice fire to burn all this crap wood and limbs on the place. It's a rare opportunity to make a fire nowadays. One more tomorrow.

Hey Gary - you can drag your avatar to a better position if you want. Just go into edit avatar!

Today I cut down 5 maples killed by the maple's soot. Nasty fungus with soot-like spores which can wreck the lungs. So I was all day long with the respirator mask on my nose. It isn't fun to work with that as it take some effort to either breath in or breath out. On the positive side, I made a big nice fire to burn all this crap wood and limbs on the place. It's a rare opportunity to make a fire nowadays. One more tomorrow.
You mean sooty bark disease on Sycamore (acer pseudoplatanus)?

Are respirators a common thing in tree work? I was milling some ash Saturday, and my lungs hurt a little that night. Didn't connect the two til I read Marc's post earlier. That ash is pretty dusty. Doubt I would wear one cause I don't like things on my face like that, but I might be able to swing a bandanna on my face to catch some of it.

About needed a respirator myself today. When we were clearing the dead trees off that creek a while back, we staged two burn piles seemingly on the neighbors property. I guess the fences are not the property line. Gawd what a dusty mess of fine powdery soil and grass seed. :P
Still have to pay me to do it. Back the trailer up to the fence and load and unload. Wash, rinse, repeat. Could have just burned in place in less than two months. Oh well, expensive lesson for the property owner. She should have made it more clear and the neighbor should have been more agreeable. HA!

So we go get parts get back and start wrenching, all was good, go to the landfill dump the fence and posts we tore out on Friday ( noon 45). Get to the job site and get the chip truck and chipper stuck almost immediately (good help is hard to find) (2:35 unstuck and cutting) Mother effin job is cursed!

It's kinda spooky checking in and seeing I'm the only one here...

It was never like that back in the good old days!

I'm in & out between little practice sessions. 3 of us here right now...

Had a nice buck whitetail run across the back field today.

Last edited:
Back