How'd it go today?

Long day - underpriced job & I was brought in to perform a miracles & bring it in on time. Well my miracle performance was piss poor & I not only didn't finish the job but bust loads of fencing trying. Perhaps they will learn to price multiple hazard trees sensibly - perhaps they won't.
Anyway it makes the wine taste better especially when I have tomorrow off!!

Sounds like you aren't too worried about it. That's a good attitude to have. No point in getting excited over stuff that means zero in the end. The sun's still gonna come up tomorrow, regardless of what happens to those trees or fences.

My feet are sore. Back on the stream restoration, and tripping up and down steep greebriar/vine covered slopes. Clearing brush with my 2511 so I can get wood in the ground.

Nah, we don't have them up here. The only venomous snakes we have are copperheads(never seen one), and timber rattlers in the mountains. I saw one of those once travelling, but they aren't in my immediate area. Copperheads are in some of the more rugged parts of the county, but AFAIK, aren't in the lowlands.

Long day - underpriced job & I was brought in to perform a miracles & bring it in on time. Well my miracle performance was piss poor & I not only didn't finish the job but bust loads of fencing trying. Perhaps they will learn to price multiple hazard trees sensibly - perhaps they won't.
!

This post. I pretty much love it! It happens to the best of us smh!

Got paid on a 4 day job polishing turds. At least they look better for the work after some hack on spurs buggered them, and I got paid. Day off to pick up new refrigerator I bought last night. Old one sounds angry and is dying.

Killed a dying fir. Strip and chip, chunk and plunk.

Went to a second job for an hour, on the way to town, dumped two trees...dead trees cut up quick compared to green, cut off the far side a bit, and scared a building. I was up on a berm, on a steep slope, and was going by feel a biiit too much. Oops. All's well that fells well. The new homeowners bought a root-disease infected patch of fir with a house and shop on it.

Got the new guy to put a dead fir dead on the button from 60'...well, it was my second shirt, so he could see it through the brush. My shirt is bigger than a button, as you can guess. I told him to take a picture and tell his kids they should be proud of they dad. He's been felling trees for about 2 weeks. That one being maybe #5.

Picked up the kid, watched the last half of the last Harry Potter, and just got her to sleep.

Excited to see the new forum in the morning.

Awesome...just in time for some killer pictures I saw of using ropes to keep snow off trees.... Huh???? Check the Random Pictures thread in a few minutes.

Loves the new look. Where is my favorite "go to last unread post" in a thread?

All the trees were roped & winched over Butch. A lot of them were dead with heavy side and back lean. Lowers your chances of success when you are being rushed.
Forum looks awesome by the way 😎

Got the greenlight on my hand ripped boards. I have to drive my mother to the car dealer tomorrow, and I might stop at work first and get the rest of my planks ripped to size.

Also checked on my target oak today, and while I haven't thoroughly studied it, I think that's the one I'm taking. Almost no lean, so sending it up hill shouldn't be a problem. Plan right now is to climb it, remove some sketchy dead stuff that's over the backcut(should also put more weight uphill), set a rope just in case to pull with the skid loader, then cut and wedge it over.

Heck, as long as you're up there just strip all that stuff off. That's how I'd do it when I could... no need for a pull line! Farther back.JPG Topper.JPG

Great pics Butch!

Stripping it is an option I'll consider, but I'm thinking the weight will help me get it over. I want the dead stuff off the backcut so nothing drops on me from pounding wedges(also a good chance to climb a fairly large diameter tree, which I haven't done yet), and that'll put more weight in the fall direction. I prefer doing it 100% on my own, but the skid loader is a decent fallback. I won't have to worry about getting the tree 3/4 cut, and have just hanging there, and not getting it wedged over. There's nothing near the fall I can tie off to to use my puller.

I wasn't saying to strip it - just take out more limbs on that side to put more weight on the falling side - like I did in those pics.

Back