How'd it go today?

:lol: more like a welder in the backyard... time + welding rods+ hairbrained ideas = random stuff that sometimes works hahahahahaha

Oh, you will see more, whether it works or not!! Rain coming tomorrow but i hope to make some more progress on it, if not finish it. By the end of the week for sure. Maybe even a video :/:

That sounds awesome! I could definitely enjoy that. Putting might be a bitch lol.
Started playing disc golf with the chick and the kids, very fun and relaxing. Some people are crazy with the cash they spend on gear for it, and walking around the park with duffel bags full of frisbees, we just use straight mid weight discs.
No putting. I always wanted to rent out a course on Arbor Day and just have tree guys/gals play 18 with a BS(golf balls for driving and chipping) and a throw ball for the short game.
View attachment 96297

The start of a dual rope grcs thing. This will allow me to run 2 ropes with one winch, mainly for horizontal use for redneck craning and yarding, probably not lowering use but we'll see (i would probably add springs to hold the ratchet if so). These strap winches will hold the load, the things on top will be jam cleats to quickly tie off. The winch will be behind them. Still need to build a bunch on it, including an attempted self tailer idea I've have for awhile that I've never seen done, so it probably won't work :lol: i will probably add a bar so the drill can be held in place with a foot switch, which might work better in the first place.

Must have more pics of progress!!! :D

Found a cast iron lamp pole base in the woods today. It would look good somewhere on the boss' farm, but I need to figure out how I'm gonna get it out. I can't budge it without risking my back. Probably 500#+. Leaning towards using my maasdam to pull it out. It's a ~250' meandering course to get it up to the truck, and then we'll have to pull it up in the bed of his pickup. I'm gonna take my rigging bag to work tomorrow in case we go back to that job.

20191021_182947.jpg

And the fairleads, which i put too close so I'll have to cut them off or do the old heat and beat so i might bend them out of the way. wayyyyyyyyyy overkill anyway, so maybe just cut the top bar off and then give it a go. The jam cleats work great tho, so that's a plus. Will finish it tomorrow, went and got parts for the self tailer, and pins for the boom I'll build tomorrow as well.

Found a cast iron lamp pole base in the woods today. It would look good somewhere on the boss' farm, but I need to figure out how I'm gonna get it out. I can't budge it without risking my back. Probably 500#+. Leaning towards using my maasdam to pull it out. It's a ~250' meandering course to get it up to the truck, and then we'll have to pull it up in the bed of his pickup. I'm gonna take my rigging bag to work tomorrow in case we go back to that job.

Put some redirect pulleys, and use the pedal on the right.

That option is on the table, but it ends at a subdivision, and driving up a cul-de-sac with a couple hundred feet of rope trailing me is... weird if nothing else. I also can't monitor the load if I end up doing it by myself, but it would certainly be quicker.

Have you heard of this wet stuff that falls from the sky?

A good day for stump grinding. No dust! Not a bit!

I'd like a radio-controlled grinder for days like today, especially.

Dang! Where IS everybody today? Ya'll pumped about the upcoming new forum?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 36
No - Vbulletin is an old, outdated forum that is vulnerable to malware. This is Xenfora - a totally different software for forums. Things will be different, but in a couple of weeks you won't even remember this forum. You can view it either green or blue. The avatars will be smaller but that's no big deal. The best thing - no more sideways pictures!!!

Damn... barely a dozen posts all day. :(

Finished work, and cut down three small trees on the farm. They had been girdled by a string trimmer, and died. They were small, but I saved the bigger wood for the boss' girlfriend's fire pit. The little stuff I tossed in the pond.

Gave freehand ripping an ash board a try. Wasn't super pleased with the result. It's /ok/, but my guide board didn't work as well as I'd have liked. It helped a little, but it was too short. Ended up being just something to run my finger against to help stay on track. I used my worst board, so it isn't a huge loss either way. Left it in the tractor barn for the boss to inspect, and see what he thinks. A circular saw would be better, but I'd prefer getting a system down using a chainsaw. More portable, and I already have those.

Weather was good, and my attempt at tuning my misbehaving PoulanPro worked. I'm pleased with how it's running now. Pretty good day all around.

Was in a dead ash once i got the trailer brakes figured out. Got it about half done with the brush. Might end up doing something different with the winch thing, without tapered pins riding turns are a problem, and free spooling is too... don't know until you try :lol:.

Started a week long project for the waste water treatment plant and no it does not smell bad. Lots of buckthorn, honeysuckle, many not so nice trees. Good times!

Ya, looking forward to the new forum look.

Busy day. Dropped kid at school in town. Put two dead trees on the ground, and left my employee to finish up. Back to pick-up from half-day of school, visited a two different friends, with dinner with kid and ex- in the middle.

Back