How'd it go today?

Re: baby squirrels. We just put them under a bush or some shady spot out of the way while we finish working. The mom ALWAYS comes to retrieve them.

If you're gonna keep them, separate them so they will imprint on you. If not, no need for separation.

I think I recall you saying that they don't realize they are squirrelly squirrels until seeing another squirrel. Do I recall correctly?

Good info guys.
As far as momma coming back for them, they were pretty out in the open in 100 plus. I doubt they would have survived long out in the open in dirt. Too many preditors about.

I'll still never believe the mommas come get them... maybe one in a million. Where do they take them? The nest is destroyed - they don't haul ass and build a new one while the babies wait patiently on the ground or on a limb. They disappear cuz predators got them... they are best euthanized.

I've witnessed the mommas come to get their babies many many times. Squirrels typically have multiple nests so there is no need to quickly build a new one.

If we don't see the mother right away, we'll sometimes poke the babies to get them to squeal. She usually shows up immediately after that.

I'm going to teach myself to ice climb this winter. The area I'm in is famous for it, and I've always wanted to give it a shot. Figure I can top rope myself out of just about anything while learning, so why not. 8)

67117144_353382432258879_5394166224387047424_n.jpg

Uno, dos, tres, Done!

Nice pics. Looks just like ME or CT

Nice. You do any rock or gym climbing?

I've never done any gym climbing. Little bit of rock, but never any ice. Seems like some of the skills will transfer, but I'm really looking forward to learning a new way to climb on a different kind of spikes. :)

A second wave of heat strikes this week. That's unusual. The temperature dropped a good bit the last 2 weeks, even coldish as it was down to 11 - 12°C in some morning ! But this week, BAM ! Today, it was 32°C at 9:30 am. Now I have 42,6 °C in the shadow behind my house. Historical record at Paris. Luckily, my big job ended tuesday, so it's a lazy day and I'm just hot instead of cooked.

Back