How'd it go today?

I've got European hornets in the house. They're living in my eave out back, and this is the second day this year I've had them inside. Those things scare me. They're huge, and sound like P51s flying around the room. Had two flying around my head this morning, and I was whimpering like a little girl :^D

I won that battle, but I've gotta do something about those things. They could probably kill my cat if she took an interest in trying to grab one, and I don't need that kind of excitement first thing in the morning(They're attracted to light at night). I don't like using chemicals, or dicking up critter's gigs, but I think I might have to get some bee spray, and try to get to the nest I can't really see somewhere in my eave. Behind the flashing somewhere...

I've got European hornets in the house. They're living in my eave out back, and this is the second day this year I've had them inside. Those things scare me. They're huge, and sound like P51s flying around the room. Had two flying around my head this morning, and I was whimpering like a little girl :^D

I won that battle, but I've gotta do something about those things. They could probably kill my cat if she took an interest in trying to grab one, and I don't need that kind of excitement first thing in the morning(They're attracted to light at night). I don't like using chemicals, or dicking up critter's gigs, but I think I might have to get some bee spray, and try to get to the nest I can't really see somewhere in my eave. Behind the flashing somewhere...

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1994-09-20-1994263053-story.html

We had one in Alex's house two nights ago...big boogers they are. Caught it in a water glass and put it outside. Just read about them on wiki:

"European hornets also tend to girdle branches, which results in dead branches.[26]"

Interesting they chew trees.

They can't however be as bad ass as those Asian Giant Hornets Jay told us about. They are huge and have a personality and predilection for causing pain.

They can't however be as bad ass as those Asian Giant Hornets Jay told us about. They are huge and have a personality and predilection for causing pain.

9ae.jpg

You may find a local venom biz to do it for you. Its free here, as they sell what they catch.

A shop-vac, an augmented gatorade bottle to fit the hose with screen at the bottom of jug, and screw-cap lid, and a bee hood/ suit!

I got stung in the face the other day, at my house, and had serious swelling. If they leave me be, I leave the wasps.

Once the season is over in the fall, the collector might come work for me. He's an aspiring tree worker/ climber, as it happens.

Free, and poison-free, is better.

I was at a customer's house. Wasps in their garden shed. They paid an exterminator to spray the exposed nests with poison, even though they aren't aggressive, mostly.

I told them about the free service, that is used to create allergy cures, somehow. Win-win-win.

We used to kill wasps, but not any more.

Nice, but why not. Pollinators?

Free, and poison-free, is better.

I was at a customer's house. Wasps in their garden shed. They paid an exterminator to spray the exposed nests with poison, even though they aren't aggressive, mostly.

I told them about the free service, that is used to create allergy cures, somehow. Win-win-win.

Very nice, Sean

I don't see any ice axes in that pic.

67217558_2930421710333742_7504746688746094592_n.jpg

I agree on doubling up on the toprope Sean. I've been thinking a lot about the best way to do that without having to tend either system by hand. Shunt? I've got one of the Petzl chest ascenders that I'd like to try with a weighted line, but not sure about a secondary. I guess I could tend the shunt just like the Akimbo and have kit for a simble RADS setup to unweight it. . . So many options! haha. Still just playing with ideas, winter is a long way off yet. ;)

Bees get all the credit.

Wasps do a huge amount of the heavy lifting.

Yes Cory, they are huge pollinators. Predators too.

Not to mention recycle-ers.

Well fug yeah!

Where'd you learn all that, on your own, or from Gabe or his ilk?

View attachment 94892

I agree on doubling up on the toprope Sean. I've been thinking a lot about the best way to do that without having to tend either system by hand. Shunt? I've got one of the Petzl chest ascenders that I'd like to try with a weighted line, but not sure about a secondary. I guess I could tend the shunt just like the Akimbo and have kit for a simble RADS setup to unweight it. . . So many options! haha. Still just playing with ideas, winter is a long way off yet. ;)

A weight on the rope, off the ground a bit, will help advance things through a positioner/ prussic. A prussic and Prussic-minding pulley would work, from my armchair.

I try to leave bees, wasps, and hornets alone. I check every few days to make sure they aren’t building nest in areas of high use at my place though. The kids’ play set is checked the most often. When I find them in other areas I strike up a deal. I leave them alone and they do the same. If I get stung by one asshole I kill the entire colony. This has worked for many years. I also make sure to let the rest of my family know to stay away from the nests. The contract also has them included. It’s amazing what mass genecide can do do keep the rest in line. I really don’t like doing it either but the rules are well stated. It’s just so tiring. Most exhausting activity there is. Well next to soccer.

Back