How'd it go today?

They are pretty good at deep snow, too.

There are a few different ways to go about mounting them. I bet Justin has his favorites, I do too...might be the same, might not. It can depend on the conditions under which you are doing the mounting. But there are a few tricks to learn, if you decide to get them.

If you want, we can offer some tips, I bet. A good one is to put them on before you really get stuck...it's a lot harder to do then :).

It's been a bit now. I have and always used the full chain with the camlock style. V-chains or v-bar I think they're called? Just drape them over tuck the end in roll over it and doing up the one side and the. The cam side. I do know and it's best to do ahead of time is , practice atleast once, size them up properly and trim off the excess attachment chain so you don't customize your fenders/wheel wells. That's about all I've got off the top of my head?

All good advice, especially the practice and size beforehand. But don't cut them too tight...you'll almost always need some extra length to hook up. I cut the inside to hook on the last link, then have 3 or 4 extra links on the outside. I use the rubber rings with hooks as tensioners, and catch the last link with a hook to keep it from flailing.

Cam style are OK, I've used them, but I don't have issue with some of the other styles of latches either. Yep, drape them over, with the hook ends at about 5 o'clock and all the extra length bunched up at 7 o'clock (if you are going to pull ahead...do it opposite if you need to back into them). Move the truck until the bunched extra is on the opposite side of the tire from where you started, and free. Hook the inside, pull as much excess as you can out, hook the tightest link you can on the outside and close the latch. After a bit of rolling down the road, I usually check and can often tighten another link or two. They get centered up with the traveling.

:thumbup:

True enough. Don't trim them short. And that's right I recall from your description you always end up with a couple extra links after they've 'settled'.

One downside to chains is they ride really rough unless there is a good bed of snow/ice to run on. Travel is slow. Be willing to take them off and put them back on as conditions dictate...that'll be where the "practice helps" part comes in :). I can throw a set of chains on in under 5 minutes a corner. Take them off in less than half that. You can too, with some experience.

Carry a small tarp to throw down to kneel or lie on. The inside hooks are the hardest part to deal with, usually.

Yah it's so fun I haven't done it in years! Lol. Probably what convinced me to run studded. They're a lot easier to put on and off ......once a year.

True...I like studded tires too. But when the going gets tough, chains will beat studded every time.

They work a treat in muddy native surface or offroad conditions, too. Not many people think to use them that way, but they do.

For sure chains are the pinnacle of traction. Like you say in all conditions. I just don't venture into the woods much in the winter anymore so 4x4 and studs suffice. I must admit I haven't even been carrying mine. They just hang on a hook outside my shop. I should really throw them in the dry box.

Thank you for the solid advise! The sets I was looking at have four cam locks. Is it common for the wrench to come with the sets or is that a separate item, it didn't say in the product description and they have not replied to an email as of yet.

Used to love having the ability to use chains or studs when needed back when they were legal here...totally outlawed now.

Wooohooo! Hodgson Mills has buckwheat Pancake mix again...just ordered a case :boogie:
I've been out for two months & it's not been available...

Yes, this is an actual exciting thing in my life...:sleepy2:

In mud, would you say chains beat aggressive mud tires? I've been playing with the idea of getting them for the welding rig rather than new tires for several reasons, such as not hearing them for hours on end when on the road and eating them up. I know chains are awesome, and i use some old truck ones on my backhoe (2 wheel drive), but I've never had mud tires so i don't know.

I understand Dave and know the pain when something is gone. I get the same way with my creole butter injection for deep frying birds. Or when the gas station is out of my beer.

Not a great day but not a bad one either. I’m going to the dump site early with the loader because I realized on my way home that I have not seen my diesel can in a few days. It’s a good one so it’s unlikely that it broke and spilled out but I really don’t want anyone else to find it in there either. Could be bad if that happens.

A few years ago I bought a set of chains for our van when we were planning a Christmas trip up north. Turns out we didn't need them but it was fun to see the curious looks from my neighbor as I practiced putting them on and off in my driveway while it was 80 degrees here in Florida.

rode 20 miles today...enjoying this 74 degree day! lost 12 pounds so far.....goodbye chewed bubblegum hello blue view rock hard

3H6imWN.gif

Man I got some serious first world problems going on here.

Ha, I love the attitude! ;)

Also, yeah great job on the truck repair. The freezing the parts trick is mad skillful and effective. Couple weeks ago my mechanic and I removed and replaced the leaking lower hydraulic motor on the chipper lower feed wheel. I knew from previous experience it was going to be brutal. Removing it was indeed nasty, and when it was time to install the new one with it's tapered pin and bearings, it went decently but still required brutality to finish. He said we shoulda put the pin in the freezer over night to make it fit easier, said that trick makes a huge difference.

I agree Cory. The wife got pissed when I put my neighbor’s bobcat axles in the freezer, but along with boiling the bearing in hydraulic oil they fell into place.

Sometimes it's the only way. Heat and cold, forces of nature.

My first world problems persisted today. Got a blown fuse on my hottub control panel. Some kind of low amp 250v glass fuse. Looks like a old school automotive fuse but its soldered to the board? I jumped the connection with alligator clip wires and my controls were weird the pump would just run constantly on high and it's supposed to have a low and a off position too. I'm going to try soldering another fuse right onto the existing one to 'piggyback' it I think rather than risk f-cking up the board trying to get it off and a new one in its place. And hope that it'll function normally? I'm getting out of my depth when it comes to circuitry and sh-t. Oh well, house is warm.

Rajan I can't recall what comes with what in regards to chains. Sorry. I'd definitely square away with your vendor that you're getting what you need.

He said we shoulda put the pin in the freezer over night to make it fit easier, said that trick makes a huge difference.
I've done that with a few hard drives that were going click-click-click. Managed to salvage some data off of them (one a complete recovery). It taught the owners of the aforementioned hard drives the value of regular data backups!

Thank you for the solid advise! The sets I was looking at have four cam locks. Is it common for the wrench to come with the sets or is that a separate item, it didn't say in the product description and they have not replied to an email as of yet.

The cam adjust chains absolutely will/should come with the tightener tool. It's nothing more than a T handle with a wide flat on the end that fits a slot on the cam. I tied a goodly length of fluorescent pink flagging on mine, so if (ha...WHEN :)) I put it down in the snow I'd stand a tinker's chance of finding it again.

In mud, would you say chains beat aggressive mud tires? I've been playing with the idea of getting them for the welding rig rather than new tires for several reasons, such as not hearing them for hours on end when on the road and eating them up. I know chains are awesome, and i use some old truck ones on my backhoe (2 wheel drive), but I've never had mud tires so i don't know.

Absolutely, they beat any tire ever made. But that has to balance out on the pain they are to put on and off. And you are right, aggressive tires are also fraught with issues. But if your daily gig is to ride a ways on decent roads to a point where you leave good surface to then hit a miserable muddy mess...I'd go with the chains. Put them on and take them off on the good gravel or pavement. Run a quarter mile down the hard road before taking them off...sling off most of the mud...that be mo' betta' :).

Mild warning after all my singing the praises of tire chains for soft, muddy conditions...they are just about the most UNFRIENDLY to turf traction system ever made :D.

Last edited:
Back