How'd it go today?

There is a huge gas fire on Geary and Parker st...
It's been burning for over an hour.
Construction crew knicked a pipe and Boom.

PGE can't turn the gas off.

Hopefully no one gets hurt! Shutting gas off is actually a big to do, and since its burning it's actually safer because it's not drifting somewhere and building an explosive atmosphere. They actually train us not to put a fire out as long as guys aren't trapped. By the pictures i saw it looks like it was a small distribution line, so low pressure and flow. Still dangerous, just not as bad :/:

I've been spending time with the granddaughter. Chinese New Year with friends, playing Mahjongg, exploring She Kou, long bike rides and walks, cooking and painting.
Another week here, then head to hang with the TreeCareLA crew.

Girls fever broke yesterday. Keeping them home one more day. Plus I am not so sure I can even get my gear up the hill leaving the yard.

Another day of shitty weather.
The place we logged today used to be a village, that went back to nature after the "Black death" aka Bubonic plaque around year 1350.
There are still some stone fences left from back then, and they are, of course, protected.
So today was an exercise in felling trees along those without hitting them.
I impressed the apprentice by deliberately hanging one up, then hitting it with another one, making it go 90 degrees away from the original direction of felling and into the only lay possible.

Impressing apprentices is always good.
Makes them listen way better when you explain stuff.

Man I got some serious first world problems going on here. Trying to figure out how to test out my hottub in freezing cold temps. Been sitting a few years so worried if something doesn't fire off like it's supposed to I'll end up with a giant ice cube. And keeping my three fires going 24/7 is starting to grow old. But the alternative of being cold or paying a huge natural gas bill keeps me motivated.

Winter! When will it end!!!

Stig. That's pretty cool it sounds like logging that old village. Being from a young country and moreso living in a young part of it. I dream of seeing some ancient architecture someday. Even a ancient fence would be cool.

Good news!

Wow. That's a lonnnng stretch. Stressful I bet. Glad it finally broke.

Thank you! Very tiring, kids what do ya do.

Winter is far from over it's suppose to drop into the negative numbers tonight all this rain is gonna freeze solid. It's going to suck. I look out my window at a nice sheet of ice that was my gravel pad now glistening with water awaiting the cold to come. I can deal with the pad but not how to deal with the slight hill that is equally glazed over? It's gravel so salt will probably be a loosing battle. Torch?

Yup. If you have 4x4, and only invest in a single set, and have a light load on, put them on the front end. But be careful cornering...the back end can get away easy.

Best is 4x4, chains on all corners. Like driving a tank.

If 2x4, mount chains on the rear, and get some weight over that axle.

I like the really heavy duty style with V bars welded to the cross links best.

You would be amazed how well they work. I have a set but haven't needed them in years now. I do run studded winters too though. Soooo, I'm not getting stuck anywhere!

Back