How'd it go today?

Ive never noticed a difference re the wood, but grinding rocks that are frozen in place definitely sooks.

I've found trees that may tend to want to be kind of gummy or stringy are less so when frozen. They just chip/chunk off. Especially if your teeth are nearing need of a rotation or replacement.

I have never noticed a difference between frozen and not. I would be willing to bet the stump is not frozen very deep, wood is an amazing insulator.

Cory had it right. Grinding stumps when the ground is frozen can be very bad for the grinders teeth. No more soft soil and any rocks will be held fast.

Living up to our name

2nd day of our forest thinning project for a custom home on a wooded lot went well -- homeowner (who owns a crane company!) was very impressed by the progress. It's at least an 8 acre lot that abuts the lake on the back side. They want all the undergrowth and saplings taken out, as well as diseased and undesirable trees. Track skid steer is forwarding out brush to the chipper at the road; next door neighbor took a load of chips! Also, my role yesterday was to raise the canopy on everything to a minimum of 16 ft. So it was a full day of power pruner work -- now my neck, shoulders & esp. my trapezius muscles are feeling it -- stiff like iron!

I notice a difference with frozen stumps -- the operator tends to freeze as well! The cold ground transfers to the feet, chilling you. Plus, standing there instead of moving around makes you colder in a hurry. I wind up having to warm up my hands on the exhaust often, even through the Thinsulate gloves. So overall, I'd say productivity is down 20% when everything's frozen. But if it's all you can do, I do it!

Well everyone else's experience be as it may. When I had my company still I ground probably a 100+ stumps every winter for the local city. They'd give me a list every winter to get done for the upcoming spring planting, sidewalk replacement, or road expansion and whatnot. And to 'help me out' through the winter. So one thing I can say with authority atleast is it can certainly be done without major issue. Atleast in my local the frozen ground doesn't tear apart teeth.

This stump is dug out already. It had a big burly base, so to get the most wood, some digging was done, which dug out a lot of glacial cobbles. I wish we had topsoil here, all over. 5-6" in places over the top are nice, after building. No native soil in typical grinding depth, but that is rare for me.

This area was bare bedrock 14,000 years ago, with lots of erosion off Mount Rainier/ Cascades and Mount Olympus/ Olympics.

I'll bring a foam camping pad or stand on the piece of foam. Plenty of insulation.

I went logging today for the first time since chemo.
Went surpricingly well, but I was dead tired by the end of the day.
The weather didn't help, icy rain and sleet all day.
The kinda day where you'd lose your fingers if not for heated handles.

I checked on the apprentice today, since I wasn't there all week.
He does pretty good work, I could only find a couple of very minor things to complain about.
He needs a lot more time with the art and science of grading hardwood logs, though.
Too much hit and miss in his bucking.
We'll get that taken care of, plenty more trees to do it on.

Most important; he is starting to produce enough to earn his wage so he doesn't cost us money any more:)

I told him that and it quite made his day.

It did feel really good to start a saw again, and the doggies were so happy to be back in the woods.
They've been bored stiff while I've been recuperating.

Glad to hear things are going well Stig :thumbup:

Power went out here at ~4am. Utility said it would be about noon tomorrow for getting it back so I headed out to hardware to get a power cord plug then filled a 5gal gas can at the local station.

Got home & installed plug onto furnace power cord and filled & started generator. Wired up a new outlet for the furnace for when power came back on.

Next thing, while making breakfast I heard the fridge kick in (power back on 24 hrs early)...ah well, got my system back the way it was, and I know the generator starts now...been a while and she cranked up in two pulls.:)

I used to have the furnace plugged into an outlet, but when I had a guy come in to repair it he decided it had t be up to code before he left, so he removed the outlet/plug and hard wired it...:X

There is a huge gas fire on Geary and Parker st...
It's been burning for over an hour.
Construction crew knicked a pipe and Boom.

PGE can't turn the gas off.

Finished up the truck today. Only real tip I can think of off hand was putting the new front main seal in the freezer and warming the timing cover by the fire to facilitate pressing(read pounding lol) it in. Clean, clean, clean is the name of the game for gaskets and sealing services. I know opinions are all over the map but is use rtv on both sides of all gaskets, the right stuff, literally the right stuff rtv, and it's not failed me yet.

A couple pics to close the loop. New timing set with cam bolt being torqued down. Timing cover on. Water pump and harmonic balancer on. And all buttoned up.

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

Nicely done, Justin. If the Jag ever blows up, I'm going to bring you down to do the reconstruction 8). Your lady and girl child included...we'll have great fun while you slave away :D.

Oh...if that happens, forget about the room for fingers...not at all available under the XKR bonnet :lol:.

Kidding aside...great job, sir...my hat is off to you.

Thanks gents. A interesting note for any Ford heads i learned in going through this all. Is besides the catastrophic timing cover gasket failure that forced this work. I have now determined that the sandwich oil cooler which goes between the oil filter and the block on many many fords had failed internally and was allowing oil to contaminate my coolant but not vice versa because oil is under greater pressure than coolant.

Part of why I replaced my oil pressure sender was because this truck was reading strangely. It would be low on oil pressure at start up and build as the truck warmed. What was happening was the oil pressure was actually high at startup and coolant pressure nonexistent so oil was forcing its way into the coolant robbing me of pressure. As coolant pressure built and oil pressure dropped slightly from warming up it would slow or stop,and oil pressure would build(on the gauge) as the oil would presumably stop leaking into the coolant. As I wasn't using a lot of oil. First time I flushed the coolant I thought it seemed oilyish but chalked it up to a severely neglected cooling system. Just something to file into the diagnosis bank.

Now I have better, consistent and normal oil pressure(slightly higher when dead cold winter temp starts). And presumably my coolant will no longer be getting contaminated. Although I will flush the system once or twice more to get all the oiliness out. Also right off the bat I have a much better and more consistent idle. Possibly from proper coolant and full coolant (it was weeping before I'm certain, but staying fullish because of the oil contamination). Or possibly from the new timing set holding a more consistent/proper time, so the computer isn't 'searching' at idle.

Anyways. Quite pleased so far!

Back