How'd it go today?

Damn. Sad news.

One option that may develop if cancer has it's way...buy a crane business that needs a new proprietor. Just sayin'. You're not getting any younger, my friend. I think you could rock that niche.

+1

I'm sure you all know of this trick, but if you wear nitrile gloves (or any other surgical style) under your normal gloves it really helps... on the ground or on equipment it's night and day.

My hands are usually pretty good but Imma try that. I noticed last week when walking dogs on beach, was real cold n windy, I hid my bare hands in a thin plastic bag, like nite n day as you say.

I taught my groundman today that fuel filters in trucks are meant to be changed. Spark plugs, anti-seize compound, and boot grease are friends. Breaking off a spark plug in a not-cold engine is a lot more time consuming and PITA and expensive than planning the work, and working the plan...this one was a cheap lesson...I went to him, so the truck was cold.

He learned that trucks should take five quarts of oil ONLY at oil changes, unlike his experience last week.

Teach a man to fish.

A friend had some issues with oil capacities last week. Brand new Bandit with the small block Chevy only had two quarts, at the most, come out when they drained for an oil change. 175 hp Perkins in the big Bandit, about the same.:O Guys claim they checked the oil every day. Dodge 5500 towed away for clutch #3. F550 running in limp mode for months now. Three winows smashed in one mini excavator in three days. Yeah. I think I'm ready to start a tree business. Not.:(

Plowing snow in a blizzard on the backhoe. 3/14/17. I was going to say the camera added 20 pounds, but I realized I was almost 50 pounds heavier then. Never knew a "beard" could make that much difference. First photo I've ever put online of myself. Hope it doesn't scare anybody. :lol:

IMG_20170314_173542672_HDR.jpg

They sure can help, when it's real cold...but I sweat them up if it's only sorta cold, which cuts back against your objective...it's a challenge, for sure.

Vapor barrier lock or something like that, right?
Like putting bread bags over your feet, then putting your boots on.

You got it, Butch.

The under gloves sure can help, when it's real cold...but I sweat them up if it's only sorta cold, which cuts back against your objective...it's a challenge, for sure.

I've had some luck with the Atlas style blue rubber, or their nitrile gloves, under fleece gloves. The Atlas gloves breathe a bit since the waterproofing is partial coverage. The fleece doesn't wear worth a toot, though.

I've never been one for a non breathable layer. I've bivy'd overnight under the open sky backcountry skiing many many times in my earlier days. Goretex is your friend.

We're talking about actual cold, where you undress to not sweat. When it's that bad, your hands become so numb you can't feel them, and start having problems doing things. That simple layer under your normal gloves really makes a difference, same thing with the 2 buckles over your boots.

2 buckles over your boots.
I still do not know what that means?

I googled it and got this:
lacrosse_premium_2_buckle_267090.jpg

Capisce?

I got some yellow ones made for linemen, servus or servius or some name like that. Kinda heavy but keep my feet dry.

If you end up wanting the m18r, I would highly highly recommend the tandem axle over the single axle option. I learned that the hard way. The axle sheared on our m18r, sending the entire wheel assembly into oncoming traffic of a major four lane highway. The tire went through a windshield of an oncoming minivan and the driver was very lucky to have lived. Our machine was only a few years old. We were without the machine for over a month because insurance companies on both side wanted an engineer to evaluate. One axle is not enough on that machine.

I just checked out the specs on the Morbark 18R. Gross weight is 11,000 lbs and the single axle is a 10,000 lb Torflex. What's wrong with this picture? :/:

Thanks guys. It will definitely be looked into. We were already talking about going with a tandem axle. Also we can get a higher HP 18r with that set up.

Yup those are 2 buckles and 5 buckles, which easily add 30 degrees to your feet. They are also very handy for going into heavy mud, then need clean boots, which happens all the time depending on the trade. On building trades jobs, they have a laborer clean the jobsite, so they don't want guys tracking mud everywhere. Well they often don't have the outside done till the job is about over, so it's a muddy mess everywhere but inside during the spring. So 2 buckles are a quick trick to be able to do what you have to and not get yelled at for it. In pipeline, you often need full on mud boots, so most guys wear slip ons so they can put them on when they need to and wear their normal boots for most of the day (mud boots are miserable in the summer). Another trick for the 5 buckles is to use a plastic grocery bag on each boot, to make it so you can get them off. If you don't do that, they will likely get stuck and you will have to cut them off!!!

:lol: I've never noticed Jim. While the mud boots are nicer for working in the mud, they still have a place imo. They are awesome in chemical plants, and like i said the 2 buckles are great in general winter and for light mud in the spring where you are going in and out. I have a pair of Dunlop mud boots (purfort summer weight), by far the best I've ever owned. I would love to get a pair of their winter mining boots, if i was still working right now, i would get some.

Back