How'd it go today?

Yeah I couldn't pass on this job though. Good pay, ok benefits, easy work and union protection.
Plus winters were really hard as an hourly employee climber. Unemployment and food stamps.

I make corian countertops. I'm a mix/ chemical operator.
Almost 33 per. More than I can make climbing.
Lot's of forced overtime because they retired a bunch of people without filling their jobs.

It's easy work, I spend most of it monitoring a process from a comfy chair, playing on the phone, video games, reading, etc. Alot of people nap, but I won't. Just would rather have had the kids over tonight.
If we work every day during the week, even if it's just 2 hours some days, then Sunday pays double time, so all double for this 16 hour.
I hope we're staffed right by summertime.

My work can't force OT. Sunday is my 'regular' 12hr shift. So I just get OT every week.

I start my first aid tomorrow for two weeks straight. So I'll be first aid five days a week and two 12's on the weekend. My work kicks me back my tuition if I pass and next go around they'll pay tuition and pay me wages to take it as well as once cert'd I get a buck/HR raise. Gonna be a hectic couple of weeks, lots of reading and studying.

Good luck on that Justin. First aid is good for work.....but really, really good for your family.

I never did quite understand over time. Keep me on straight time so I dont have to give all of it to the govt.

Seems like OT is good for your boss, and the gubmint....not so much for the working stiff.

Maybe they have changed the rules lately though.

Huh?

Mandatory time and a half wages.

In Washington you can dictate mandatory overtime.

I think Davey works guys around 55 hours a week, or something. Jed knows.

Same healthcare premiums for the company with more work per healthcare-premium dollar, with overtime.

Friend of mine quit his job because all he did was work over time.

Time and a half??? BFD when your boss is charging 150 an hour for your labor. The Feds took nearly every "extra" money he made working OT.

I will work straight time and decide what to do with anything over 40....thank you.

Friend of mine quit his job because all he did was work over time.

Time and a half??? BFD when your boss is charging 150 an hour for your labor. The Feds took nearly every "extra" money he made working OT.

I will work straight time and decide what to do with anything over 40....thank you.

Will or would? You’re a farmer right?

Overtime can be mandated in Ohio as well. If they’re paying it you can’t say no. A company can fire for refusal to work it. I would prefer them to ask if I could, which they do now, but they could tell me to. On the other side of the coin I could tell them to pound sand and go work somewhere else. I do a lot of overtime but have found the sweet spot. Between 49-54 hours a week is when I see the best take home per hour.

I just did the math - dividing my net by my hours. OT over ten hours just wasn't worth it'

What they withhold out of your check isn't the amount you pay. That gets determined when you file your 1040.

Exactly this. Much of that is determined by your tax bracket, and working over sometimes pushes you into a higher one momentarily, until you go to the next higher one permanently. I work a bunch of ot, and while it sucks at the moment sometimes, you are making more. I've never heard of anyone willingly asking for less money while stool working overtime, Jim that's a new one for me. I've always been a fan of getting paid out the ass, then the gov and i can figure out how much they give me at the end. When i was single, they won, now that i have a wife and kids, i have been winning as of late.

Another thing to remember, the tax bracket system is designed to get the most from workers, capital gains and other non labor income are taxed dramatically less. Having dependants also changes the income levels too.

No it's paying me more because that's supposed to be my time off. It's still up to me if i work it, or continue to work at all.

Back