How'd it go today?

Work, walk or fight... that was my mantra back in the day.

Dunno how well that would go over nowadays!

34j989j.gif

Jim, I'm working 5 hours from the house, on a union pipeline job, where composite crew means everybody helps everybody. It's distribution, and distribution work is a step away from being non union in this particular area. We're installing services, and that unfortunately requires a bunch of hand digging, which of course is no fun. So when an early 20s year old kid, who was a laborer just a few short weeks ago, comes and gives me attitude about using a shovel when I've had one in my hand for half the day, and it's 12 plus hours into the day, and our crew came over to bail them out because they are forever slow, I'm gonna have to set him straight. We all make good money and benefits, and I'm not gonna let some punk kid frig that up because he's too good to work. As I'm sure you remember from the oilfields, welders are the top of the food chain, and on mainline work all they will do is weld, running a shovel would be ludicrous. But when we are fighting for survival on distribution work, the least we can do is put in a good day. I'm about the easiest going dude around, but i have no tolerance for people who refuse to pull their own weight, especially some kid that can't even do his own job. He has no skills to sell, but he's acting like he does.

...All I did today was flare over a lip on my wheelbarrow extension, now up to 1/2 a yard.

View attachment 88509

You do beautiful work, Peter. I have no idea why wheelbarrow manufacturers make the buckets so small. I guess they are afraid you will overload it if it was made bigger. Nah, that can't be it.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.jpg
    IMG_0813.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 22
Had a nice 1000 dollar day today.

First portion of that was to replace the new starter on our water hauling truck.

Hired man installed new starter but forgot to hook up one positive and a couple negatives.

Burned the new started plum the fugg out.

Had a good used starter I installed. In the process I must have set my phone on something and we managed to run it over. It is fugged.

So......to recap. Replace new starter that hired man screwed up....350 dollars.

Ruin Galaxy S7 phone that we had just paid off.......650 dollars.

Not a bad days work if I do say so.

Aaaagghhhh!!! One of those days.
Go sit off somewhere and drink your beverage of choice...

I come from a different background than youse guys, but I have found that it literally "takes all kinds" of people.

Good on you if you can make that work.

In your hose line story, sounds like just dumb luck, rather than some motivation or such, won the day.

Sounds like Kyle's boy isn't just lazy, he's aggressive about it. :happy1:

Tough day, Jimbo. You definitely sound easy going today. Maybe that Staycation been doing good bidness!

. I have absolutely zero tolerance for pussys that won't work,

So what are your options there? Strictly clinical, like going thru the proper channels, filing paper work about inadequate productivity? Or do you get more direct action oriented?

Its different for me maybe.

I run volunteer crews, or crews that are pulled together at the last minute. No time for crew cohesion or anything else.

There is a place for everyone...from the rock star to the guy who can barely hold down a shovel. You cant just yell at volunteers because you dont like them, same with a paid fire crew.

You have to figure out how to use people and place them in jobs or positions that they fit in.

Dad was telling me a story this morning.

Years ago one of the Guard outfits had a Major or a LT. Colonel that no one liked. He was a pain in the ass and was lazy to boot.

They hatched a plan to promote him to Regimental HQ. It worked, and they were rid of him.

Just two years later someone noticed that the fugging Governor had made him Adjutant General for the State!

Be careful who's ass you break a foot off in.

It depends. The kid in question was attempting to use trade classifications to avoid bitch work, and on certain jobs that's how it is. This particular job had what's called composite crew, which means different things depending on where in the country you are, but here it means that strict trade classifications are laxed in order to make union work competitive (in other words, the crew sizes are going to be small enough where everybody just works to get the job done for the most part). I'm not a foreman, so i can sometimes just have a short talk with them, to explain how we need to do this or we all are out of a job. Sensible ones shape up after that. Next I resort to taking the tool out of his hand that he's leaning on and banging it out. Most men were taught at one point out another that taking tools out of someone's hand is a super faux pas, on the order of calling him a bitch. That alone usually gets then riled up enough to do their job or start getting lippy, so then i can call him out in front of everyone and remove all doubt of my opinion of them.

If that doesn't work, i will usually nickname him, and everyone will call him that lol. So he is reminded how he's useless 100 times a day, and that will hopefully piss him off enough to start pulling his weight. Boat anchor, statue, sloth, weekend at Bernies, etc lol. Peer pressure can be a good thing. If that also fails then you refuse to help him do anything, so it's apparent to the foreman that this one guy is the weak link. When i came up, you had journeymen around all the time, and if you got out of line, they didn't hold back at all. If you sucked, you got assigned complete bitch work, or just laid off. In fact, it's a common practice to hire more guys than you need, then cull the ones that aren't cutting it. A one man layoff sends a very clear message usually.

Jim, these aren't volunteers by any means, they are union construction hands. These guys will do this type of work until they retire. When people are new to it, you sometimes have to show them their boundaries and expectations. It's in my best interest to push my co workers to their potential, and vice versa. I do agree on the place for everyone, as long as they will put forth effort. No effort equals a waste of air.

Haha!

Small milling job, ash, just up the road from my Dad. I did a ninja weed wack at his place, then helped him switch names on some of his bills. Been almost 2 years since my Mom passed.

Went back to shop and did 2 mods to the 25hp befco chipper. Found a secure place for traffic cones and made the feed wheel pressure adjustable. It only had one setting before. Worked great on a silver maple pile I made last week.

20180813_110756.jpg
20180813_160517.jpg
20180813_160529.jpg

A Comedy of Errors

We were slated to pick up the chip truck from the shop this morning and then do a job in Kansas City. Somehow during the drive back, either to open the toolboxes (you have to lift the bed to unlock them) or perhaps a tech at the shop had left the PTO on. Driver drove home at least halfway at 70MPH before realizing it. So when he got back into town, the PTO was stuck engaged. Rest of the crew spent the afternoon (and now into evening) trying to manually disengage it and open up the clutch plates to assess the damage (see if they welded together). Meanwhile, I applied my penchant for tidiness and order and cleaned up the shop. Hopefully we can maintain the newfound cleanliness, but we'll see how it goes. Maybe we'll be able to work tomorrow! At least we can revert back to last week's grapple method and do postponed chipping at our lot.

So now we're seriously looking at our options for a bucket truck -- considering a forestry package with a 75' boom w/elevator. As it is, if our chip truck is down, we are nearly dead in the water. Having a forestry package bucket would give us a backup chip truck for emergency equipment situations like we're facing now. If our chipper ever goes down, I can't imagine renting the 6" ones you can get at the rental places locally!

Back