How'd it go today?

Yes, we're all used to it -- 3 usual drivers for the chip truck. Today's driver was not one of the usual suspects, he's the usual driver for the grapple truck (with a CDL A), so he's not as familiar with this truck. With all the odd noises lately in the truck, he might've missed it. Unfortunately, no LED on the switch or dash lamp to indicate it's on, just the usual groaning/complaining sound it makes. It could even be that the techs at the shop knocked the switch and wrecked it doing their test drive(s). Hard to point a finger. We'll press on, though!

We have the PTO rebuild kit on hand before stores closed today, and a crew of 3 working on it at the shop. Should be usable in the morning!

My two bucket trucks have the lit switches for the PTO but they aren't really in your line of sight. One truck it's in the middle of the dash next to the glove box and the other truck it's in an overhead panel above the windshield. Thinking of adding an additional LED light mounted right on the dash in front of the steering wheel.

I've seen a shoestring tied to the PTO that had a ring on the other end. When you engaged the PTO you were supposed to hook the ring on the hi/lo axle button. It worked like a charm - no way were you driving off with that simple lock-out/tag-out kinda thing!

Simply systems save the day.

Did a good job on the big grand fir.

My employee drove my pick up into the chip truck in my wide open driveway with nobody around, had a drive back on his own. I'd left the jobsite an hour before to pick up the kid. He called and said he parked to close to the chip truck and scratched the truck. I'm pretty sure that when you drive one truck into the other, its too close. I'm glad he realized driving the truck into the other truck is too close.

He's getting a disciplinary write-up to cover my butt. He needed a rectal crainumectomy today, many times. If I have to let him go, I will have the paperwork to not have my rates jacked up more. In the past, I haven't been so formal, and I pay for it in $$$$ when I have to pay for Unemployment.

His girlfriend is nuts, evidently (at least an unmanaged anger problem). He's not sleeping well because two people don't fit in a twin bed with a kitten in the room. F'ing shocking. She couldn't afford her apartment.

I told him to drop her like a hot potato before he's in jail for domestic violence. The neighbors said they'd call the cops next time there is screaming at 7am (her). She's nuts. They'd like him in jail. Nice soft skin, 5'8", blonde. His parents have told him to get away from her.

I didn't have time to ask about his personal struggles today. I had to work way up a tree. Go figure.
I will gladly take advice on how to handle this tomorrow.

Give him The Spiel

Homelife baggage can't spill into the worklife or jobsite. He needs to know that it must be as if you all had lockers and you come to work and keep your personal life in the locker for the day; take it back out at the end of the day. Tree work is physically taxing and the potential for injury and property damage is a huge daily risk. There is no room for distractions from that singular focus while working. People's lives and the customer's property, as well as the tools & equipment are all at stake -- no exaggeration.

I dunno, Sean. This subject has come up more than once before. What exactly is it with you and loser employees??? You seem to be a magnet.

Everyone around here has been whipped to go, go, go. Getting a guy to stop and think is hard. Being safe as a basic underlying condition of work is rocking their worlds. Logging mentality. Boss is sitting in the fancy truck and is definitely not going to be the guy going to the hospital due to unsafe working conditions.

Shelton, 15 miles out Highway 101, more onto the edge of the Olympic Peninsula, a small mill and logging town has become the meth capital of the NW or more.

Olympia is full of Evergreeners (The Evergreen State College) with a very hippy-dippy, integrative studies system without letter grades. I think its great for people with Learning Disabilities, including ADD and dyslexia.

ADD is rampant, I think, in the laborer/ groundie pool and amongst some climbers, too.

Every climber thinks they're great because they've only cut themselves one, or maybe not, and never fallen out of a tree.
Single flip-line, can't climb past a schoolmarm top because of it. Stupid shit, really.

Most treework is not that complicated. People can be really good at over-complicating something.

Look at SRT base-ties...all you need the the one climbing rope for a very simple, reliable, inspectable base-tie. People want to get $300, 5 part systems in place. WTF do you need that for, when if you're paying attention to what your doing, by and large, you should never need.

I plan to tell him tomorrow morning that no more problems can happen. If they do, he will be suspended, demoted with pay-cut, or terminated. Yesterday was yesterday. Today is today. Are you prepared to work, well-rested, fed, caffeinated, focused.

I will have to put it in writing, soon, for Unemployment Insurance purposes.

Am I overcomplicating it?

Plan the work, work the plan. Evaluate the results of working the plan.
Call and Respond.
Communicate.
If you're not sure, stop and ask. Easier to do it the first time right than undo it and do it right.

Eat before you get hungry, drink before you get thirsty, break before you feel broke.
Tell me if you need something like coffee or food or #2 down at the gas station or whatever, so you can have what you need.
Avoid critical situations (there was no reason to drive the pick up into the chip truck obviously, but there was no need to park it close to the chip truck either, as there is parking for 15 trucks at my house parking lot and field that we use all the time for trucks and trailers.
If you can't do it safely, don't. Stop. Say something. (Can you show me how to do this safely? I need to be trained to do this. I think this might become a problem if we continue, so can we double-check. etc)
If you see a safety issue, Stop. Say something. Do something (fill the hole, put a cone and tell everyone so nobody ruins their ankle/ knee/ etc, cover it with plywood.)
Don't go where you can be crushed.

Another factor is that the State is, IIRC, the largest employer in the county, as we are the Capital City. The State will gladly hire people with good brains, and will take mediocre, if you can just keep putting your widget in the right place.

I preach it. I print it and give it out.
I don't think ground work is very complicated...well, groundie work. Boy can they make it complicated. Thinks like don't cut the ground means, don't cut the ground. A critical situation would be trying to cut something right on the ground, as though they they won't be risking drop through and dull the chain somewhat, even if they can't tell. Just avoid the critical situation, rather than try to 'take a shortcut'.

Got a great new term. I always try to get guys to let the ground do the work as possible. Rolling material. Drag the plywood rather than lift it and carry it, hoping the wind doesn't throw you down, and so half the weight is on the ground. Etc. Etc.
The ground never gets tired. Its always right nearby.

"Get the 'other Groundman' to help you".
Rather than have two guys carry two sheets of plywood, don't get another person involved who you have to plan and coordinate with (and who might cause you to get hurt or who you can hurt) get the 'other groundman' to help you (meaning the ground).

And leave the loggers out of it. I worked for five years with the last company with zero accidents. And we went hard.

Hope it all works out Sean.

And leave the loggers out of it. I worked for five years with the last company with zero accidents. And we went hard.

Hope it all works out Sean.

Loggers and logging is a different world. I respect the work of logging and the people who do that.
Sounds like you were working with pro's. I've done small scale logging. It's a moonscape after, mostly, right?

Seems harder to get them to work around tons of plantings, irrigation, cedar fences that can't be scratched.

Does this difference between bush logging and manicured, waterfront yards seem like it needs different skill sets?

I do a LOT of tree care in lots of tight, manicured yards. If I just killed trees all day, I'd bet a logger would fit much better. As it is, we fell sometimes zero trees a day or week.

Mick, don't act like a 6 year old, and I won't treat you like a 6 year old. Be a man, get treated like a man. Be a woman, be treated like a woman. Be a dumbshit, go down the road.

Do half the work of someone twice your age, and you will get told to work smarter and get more done, or don't and go down the road. McDonald's doesn't let people cook food willy-nilly, I'm sure.

Seems like many successful businesses with lots of short directions/ exchanges-of-information use Call and Respond, Starbucks, McDonald's, lots of restaurants, and evidently it's used in the tree industry (not just my tree show) and statistically reduces accidents.

The more someone learns their job, the less it's necessary. The more a person can independently work, the less this is necessary. I wish I could leave people with less supervision, and they would do as instructed.

I can get 10 guys a day to show up with a job ad that reads, "excellent pay for non-listeners who break stuff". DO NOT WANT.

I demonstrate this stuff all day. I don't sit in the truck and watch. Once in a while, I f*&k off talking to the customer, or doing nothing important. Generally, I'm making sure the job is done well and safely, plus that all my gear is making it back where it belongs, as it should. The truck is organized every day, basically. If not, we organized it in the morning, as appropriate. I have this crazy idea, Start Organized, Stay Organized. AKA don't lose or break my expensive stuff that we need on this job and all future jobs, going around like a monkey without a plan.

When my guy had got stung really hard the other day, I had an ice pack on him, and elevated in 20 seconds, withbenedryl cream, ace/ elastic bandage, benedryl pills coming right after. His hand still swelled a good bit, but not too bad. I knew where all my first aid supplies were (in the unlocked tool box). If I let people just put stuff in the truck, rather than paying them to start organized and stay organized (believe it or not, a lot of tree service groundies are not that successful in life or organized) I'd have a broken, shit show.

Lots of the stuff I tell them goes against how they've been whipped to work FASTER FASTER FASTER, regardless of safety. They always seem to like hearing that them not getting hurt is way more important that a chainsaw the gets throw away from them if they are going to fall on it, and that there is time to clear the ground for safer footing, etc, etc.

If I had lot of tolerance for low-quality work and damages, paid them dirt wages and cheated them out of overtime, endangered them and let them endanger me, and could make the trees a LOT smaller, it would be way easier. If I could get customers who didn't want work done well, as specified, who still wanted to pay full price, I'd be in like Flynn.

Somehow, the new guy like Plan the Work, Work the plan and can do Call and Respond, stating that it makes them feel a LOT safer than at previous jobs, likes that he and the crew know what is going on, and what to expect. Seems like everyone says that they like not being endangered at work all the time by near-misses. So many guys have told me that they considered not applying to any tree jobs because of the danger they expected.
Somehow not screaming at them, "Get the friggin' thing, not the other friggin' thing, no the other friggin' thing" seems better, too. I guess they like, "Please get the ms461, the white rigging rope, and the pale blue rigging rope" and that it is where I tell them it will be in the truck, or its in the one staging area for the jobsite. Go figure.

My work at other tree services, and around them has been very limited. Lot of danger, lot of yelling, lot of bs. Lot of hungover dumb guys. I quit my first job because it was so dangerous, barely missing the rollover accident in the owner's driveway, resulting in facial paralysis of one guy. I didn't want to get pushed into the BC1000 when three guys were charging in with a top expecting I'd be done chipping and out of the way in time. Ya, the felon-foreman got his brother a job, who was hungover AF the first day, so they were going to make up for it with Git-er-dun regardless of safety. That boss almost fell to his death or disability at the Tree Climbing competition where I was the in-tree-tech. I watched him start to fall away from me at 60', but he caught the rope in his hands. He was able to lanyard in at my perch, and actually set up his new shiny-gizmos properly.
When I worked for him for 2 months, 12 years ago, I was almost hit by falling branches at least once.

Well, now I'm going to talk to someone like a 6 year old, my 6 year old who just woke up, and who I plan to come home to intact, tonight.

Just writing stuff out is somewhat of a relieve. I have to try my best to be polite at work. I never get to say "quit being a dum-shit, you dum-shit! I could get that kind of help out of my 6 year old."

Hope things get better soon, sounds like you have a lot of issues pressing on you Sean. Tough job, that's for sure.

Davey in my area have "safety meetings" many many many times during a job, I guess they have a roaming supervisor.....

A truck will pull up, watch for a bit, then the job shuts down and a meeting breaks out.

Its really not a hard job. I'm making it way, way, way easier on them physically at least. It can't be that hard to run a speedline right next to the chipper, standing in the shade, next to the hose, while I'm in the sun (unless I can be in the shade on the back of the trunk) at 100'.

Its really not that hard. Really. It's not like trying to put a human in space and have them come back alive and healthy.

I could do the job myself, if I wanted to do a lot of groundwork and work a lot less efficiently. We're not working over a glass greenhouse (climbed a couple in the past over glass and plastic greenhouses). None of their work was over the neighbors' infrastructure, and that was easy enough.

When we finish this, I have a 10 biggish tree removal job, easy enough, especially the technical and physical level of the ground work. Lots of machine work. IF I could get a grapple truck service, I would in a heartbeat. Too booked out with land clearing jobs to want to pick up from a tree site. I'd love a small non-cdl grapple truck with a small boom and grapple. In the future. My friend with the F800 kboom/ grapple is pretty retired, with plenty of money, so not hungry, plus he travels a lot. An f650 or something, dually on a single rear axle, coupled with a mini/ bmg would be so nice.

Most people in my market want chips, or have forest to blow excess chips, so chipping is sorta economical/ desirable here.

Never have to tell a tree or machine to bring a lunch, sleep well, drink more water, eat more food.

Over time, I'm moving more toward machine work, technical felling, no clean-up, milling, specialty wood.

Its soooo easy to start a business in WA, no workers comp shopping or prepayments or astronomical rates. Lots of the guys worth anything have their name on their own trucks. If you click one link on the Dept of Labor and Industries website, it spoon feeds you everything you need.

Hope things get better soon, sounds like you have a lot of issues pressing on you Sean. Tough job, that's for sure.

Davey in my area have "safety meetings" many many many times during a job, I guess they have a roaming supervisor.....

A truck will pull up, watch for a bit, then the job shuts down and a meeting breaks out.

Is this because of a violation of workplace safety and procedure, or do they just shut down a well working job for a safety meeting?

Toolbox meetings. At my new job we shut down when everything is running smoothly to have a little meeting with a supervisor go over the safety flavour of the day and any other info mgmt wants to send our way. A welcome break. I like it. Our supervisor does a little quiz at the end verbally. I always get a chuckle out of that. In one ear and out the other for most and especially the young guys. You guessed it, I always ace the 'paying attention' quiz.

Loggers are great treeworkers ime. Just need to know the level of acceptable impact. But they are well versed in working on sites that always change and bring new obstacles/dangers. Good with saws and machinery. Usually have a high regard for safety from working constantly in areas where the hospital could be hours away. And capable of hard work in less than desirable conditions day in and day out with no whining. Loggers for the win!

In logging, might can make right, like hard-pull trees with major power. Putting an extra couple cuts in at the stump can spin trees. Dead-on accuracy can make or break a fell. Jacking a big tree, beating over big trees. 150' up and still 7' diameter, right? Its own trade. It's different.

Clearly, people can train/ learn/ become experienced on both, and be a very capable force.

Like everyone else, most loggers are average loggers. Most doctors are average dentists. Most bartenders and residential tree workers are average.

Anyhoo...took the day 'off' and going to change a starter, and water some more around my house. The wildfire smoke is building. Gonna be 92*, prime time for a muffler to start a dry grass fire, or smoldering dry, moss on a chunk of firewood, breathed on by saw exhaust. Ice my shoulder a bit. Do my PT exercises (the real fix).

I am really happy not to be in the top of that tree in the sun and lil' smoke.

Its just eating one big elephant, rather than a lot of little elephants. The only bad part is the pitch--grand fir with giant pitch blisters. Still swinging a 193t around (for now), 20 speedline slings, standing on the side of the tree. Rinse, repeat. I'll Wraptor up to finish limbing, topping and start chunking. When its time to change saws, I'll need to do mini-work (move some wood into a barrier, push the chipper back up the hill, bring down the trailer of mulch from the first day), then Wraptor back up with a bigger saw.

The steps are simply embedded cinder blocks and retaining walls are dry-stone not mortared, but the well-head building is down next to the beach, and docks are never cheap.

I really feel like sitting around drinking coffee, and surfing, rather than working. But for real, after the next cup, I'm going to change a starter and pull a leaking Lucas-Gerling parking brake system's hydraulic tank for inspection.

Didn't find a replacement on Ebay or Napa online. Is there a good used, medium/ heavy duty truck part website?

I'm not sure on the parts for online. I always sourced med duty truck parts locally.

I'm off to work soon, just got a roll up rear seat bag for my bike as I'm going to try to rig up to ride my bike to and from work instead of drive my truck. About five times the mileage and ten times the fun so makes sense. Just gotta organize, lunch, ppe and water jug to make it happen. I'm back to feeding the drier this week, which is a solo job, enjoyable. Ran good numbers last night with no plug ups. Steady flow, good workout and paid for it to boot. It's considered the hardest job in the plant. Lol. Cakewalk I'm finding it and crushing it production wise. Outfeed guys get a little whiny that I feed so steady(never miss a cycle) but alas that whining falls on deaf ears. :D

Back