How'd it go today?

It?s official I?m not fond of removing pecans! Lol
This one isn?t all that big but it?s kind of in a tight area. Some branches through cable and phone lines. And no great tie ins to be able to get out on the tops very well.

This one. Also has 2 leads that are broken that I didn?t see when giving an estimate. One is resting in a maple that is also coming down.

The big pine is also coming down. As well as a vined up maple next door in the front yard.

Looks like ima bring in a lift to finish up part of it and get some of the pine and maple while I have it. There are also lines running through them.

73e9a9e18c89d673511e266b72f1e4b5.jpg

84150705df0b6f9a955c8dcdd2d508bc.jpg

After day one. 6 hrs anyway . Spent most of the day whittling on the broken lead tied up in the maple tree. Sorry not so great pic

66513157a5fe2a0ed272e68771610d33.jpg

25mph sustained winds today. Made climbing and removing another sizable silver maple a bit tricky, especially with all the rigging work in close proximity to power lines, shed, clothesline, and the house itself. Got her down, brush chipped, and loaded on the log truck in ~4 hours. Meanwhile, I was faced with Stumpzilla next door -- the HUGE silver maple we had taken down last week, 6-7' diameter at ground level, now the planter bed it had been in has been removed & dug out, so now it is 18-24" above grade, with root flare going out 16'. In 4 hours, I succeeded in grinding out a U-shape around the main stump body, so now we're essentially down to the main stump. I should be able to finish that in 2-3 hours tomorrow with our Vermeer SC252 grinder. Pics will have to wait till tomorrow, as I left the camera on the job site. The owner of the property has a Bobcat on site, so at least they're moving out grindings and dirt as I go, although it does slow down progress having to back out & wait for the Bobkitty to clear things out at intervals.

Nice!

All I had today was grind some recently exposed. surface roots from a previous stump grind and a 20" spruce stump to grind from a tree I cut down last year. Priced out some cleanup work for Friday and got the goahead for two removals.

25mph sustained winds today. Made climbing and removing another sizable silver maple a bit tricky, especially with all the rigging work in close proximity to power lines, shed, clothesline, and the house itself. Got her down, brush chipped, and loaded on the log truck in ~4 hours. Meanwhile, I was faced with Stumpzilla next door -- the HUGE silver maple we had taken down last week, 6-7' diameter at ground level, now the planter bed it had been in has been removed & dug out, so now it is 18-24" above grade, with root flare going out 16'. In 4 hours, I succeeded in grinding out a U-shape around the main stump body, so now we're essentially down to the main stump. I should be able to finish that in 2-3 hours tomorrow with our Vermeer SC252 grinder. Pics will have to wait till tomorrow, as I left the camera on the job site. The owner of the property has a Bobcat on site, so at least they're moving out grindings and dirt as I go, although it does slow down progress having to back out & wait for the Bobkitty to clear things out at intervals.

You really need to up size your stumper. I had a 252 (652 now) and don't miss it at all. The only good thing it had going for it was its size.

We usually sub these out -- a twice a year type of size. The only reason we're doing it ourselves is because we have 3 jobs in the same neighborhood (two side by side) all with stumps to be ground. The other 2 are definitely within out capabilities, we only are doing the big boy because it works out in our schedule to have me trail behind the main crew, grinding the stumps as they complete the removals. Plus, it's nice to keep $$$ in our own pocket -- even it it only breaks out to $100/hr, that's still a fine wage. But hopefully I only have 6 hours on the stump total, which would push our wage up to $150/hr.

I hear ya about the $.
Yesterday was interesting stump grinding. I was wrapping up a cemetery gig 3 big sugar maple removals, main road very visible. One guy who also grinds part time, trucker full time, chatted me up about the Yellow Jacket teeth. Another guy who I have done work for his folks before and we text back and forth, he is deaf, about some stumps he had. Then his neighbor text me about some stumps, also deaf. Then the first deaf guy wanted me to grind one for his mom, also deaf, and as I was driving the machine back to the trailer another neighbor wanted four ground out. Timing is everything I guess. It made for a nice little bonus at the end of the day.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wvAnQqVJ3XQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Parachute guy is back. He buzzed me at the sawmill.. Looks like fun.

20180501_193855.jpg

Uploader won't resize anymore. Had to crop to get a smaller file.

Had a fun one today.
Had been called in to act as counsel between a county and a home owner who was unsatified with the county trees shadowing his house and putting up shoots in his lawn.
Judge Stig:lol:

Home owner had of course pulled the old trusty one:" the trees are dangerous".
That was why the county called me, I've done consulting work for them before.
They have a policy of not giving in to homeowners, because once you do so, everybody want the trees gone and the whole county blacktopped.
People are weird about trees.

These were not dangerous for the next 50-80 years.
However, they were in a bad spot next to a water course and a huge bother to the homeowner, so my recommendation to the county was to offer the home owner that they could be removed at his cost.
Since the trees were next to a county owned structure, I stipulated that the work should be done by a county approved arborist service to insure against damage.

That is us:lol:

Funny thing is some years ago I won a case against that county for a private school.
Since then they have been calling me to consult.

Funny how that works sometime.

Pretty bad day today. I'm glad it is almost over. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

1. Employee never showed up, didn't call. I waited until after 8am and went to the job by myself with the bucket truck and dump trailer since I didn't have a driver for the chip truck and chipper.

2. Brand spanking new Stihl MS150 I bought last Friday broke on the first pull of the starter rope. Flywheel was loose and the key sheared when I tried to start it.

3. Curbed the front tire on the bucket truck at 10:15am, cut the sidewall. No spare, no jack, no transportation. Called tire place. They kept promising they would get to me, finally arrived at 5:15pm. Tire replaced by 6pm, $631.

4. Walked a block down the street for lunch to the only place nearby. Ordered a burger with NO ONIONS and NO PEPPERS. I repeated myself FOUR TIMES since the waiter seemed unsure. Got my plate and there was a saute cup of peppers on it. I asked him WTF the peppers were doing on my plate, he said they were on the side because they were not sure if I wanted them.

5. Ended up in a disagreement with the client about the job. Didn't finish, dumped what brush I had loaded back in the parking lot and went home empty. Zero income today.

Back