How'd it go today?

I learned tonight I get to start work in my first woods tomorrow. "bout 100 trees in this one (2 hours away), then an hour closer to home for another 4-500.

Guess I'll find out if I'll make a logger or not pretty soon...

What did we ever do before the internet period ?

In other news the last week or so I've only been working 8 hour days ,Seems like only working half a day.I get home while the sun is still shining .All those months and months of 12 hours I couldn't even get the leaves out of the yard .The last several days the good ole Stihl back pack blower got -er done .Boring stuff ,neccessary but I still dispise yard work with a passion.By golly though I did cut up another downed tree .2 done dozens to go .

It's not really a break of sorts except in hours worked. It's all over Christmas hollidays maintainance shut down for about 11 days ending on Jan. 2. It pays well but on the 2nd I go back to my usual 12 hour stuff .

You know though actually doing something for 8 hours versus waiting for a breakdown on a 12 hour shift the time just flies .

Ha. A buddy of mine just started working for the town. He says they do a maximum of 2 hrs work per 8 hr day and he comes home wrecked from boredom- induced exhaustion.

Pruned out about 20 ornamentals and some fruit trees with Katy. She also raised a cedar. I also dead wooded a 50' tall blue oak, a smallish fruitless mulberry and Chinese pistache. In and out in 4 hours. Just a couple of trees to touch up (that the HO fugged up) tomorrow and then on to the next job. Day started late due to schedule changes but still pulled off a good day.
I did not even bother scheduling but a couple of days through the holidays. Between no burning and people in and out of town, just was not worth the effort. I have had to hit plan C a few times since Thanksgiving :lol:
Next week should be back on track.

Been sorting the garage as I change the shelving on a back wall.:rolleyes: Saw repairs for myself and some homeowners. Put the new bearings and seals in 2 ms290's fuel lines and carb rebuild on a 034av :D I like this saw. Realize I have far to many saws and part saws. Make a list for tomorrow to try and make myself more room to change isolastics in my commando before I won't have time. Feels good to get some much needed shop time and a ton of lil things.

Big ole' split branch in an elm...managed to throw the chain on the 461 (bar nut came loose), the chain managed to knock off the little stud on the chain tensioner...saw out of action for the rest of the day...at least the local mower shop had the spare $8, maintenance day tomorrow.
Did a walk about this estate with the Mrs....I have a list that will last for weeks! Seriously happy about that :D

Wrapped a tad over a 2K job today and got the final installment of pay. That felt good. All their little trees look super, clients are happy..
If I ad felt better, we would have gone a little removal with the rest of the day. Still am not getting enough air. Been climbing anyway.
We had to chip a damn bunch of cuttings off a cypress. That seriously sucked and what shortened my day. Oh well.. Holidays eh?

I did manage to pick up about a trailer full of brush and sticks that got blown out of the trees about a month ago in a wind storm .

Had a tough time getting the old Ferguson tractor started .The points are shot ,ordered a new set from flea bay on the cheap .

Finally lit the wood stove ,nice and toasty .It's about right ,the outside temp is in the 20's .

Well two days in the woods and I've learned a bit. 2nd day was twice the production and 1/2 as tired. Skidder driver was happy with today too.

Been a few years since I carried a ground saw around for the whole day. I'm thinking I'm a wee bit out of shape.

Took down a 50' water oak this morn. The tree took an almost 90% turn near the top and the stem got pretty thin so we guyed it off to get rid of the fishing pole effect and make me feel a little more comfy. We had to speed line everything over a deck but it went smooth as silk. I had some great ground help, my son. He's a master of the speed line. Happy New Year to all!

Jay, 395xp for most of the felling. Have 460 & 441 on sight also.

I really don't care for the Husky and will probably pick up a 660 after I get a smaller 4x4 truck that fits this type of work better than my F450 chip truck.

Back