How'd it go today?

It was good. My two offsprings came yesterday ,fun time with two grandchildren which are indeed grand .Today my wifes youngest and girl friend spent the afternoon .

Lawdy I must have carved a pound and a half of fat off a ham .I'd well imagine my "pet " coon will enjoy it .I've been placing the bones of stuff on a log for about a year and a half feeding that thing .

The whole Everest thing is insane.

My Sherpa friend has summited Everest twice and runs a guide service here now. He tell me that there are times when you have to deal with a lot of issues on the mountain, different levels of preparedness amongst the people wanting to climb. Sometimes it entails simply walking by dead people, or possibly ones close to it. The altitude can really mess up a person's brain. It has become like a shuttle service up there, long lines sometimes waiting for their turn to summit after paying large sums of money for the chance. Some people climbing are good to deal with, some aren't, and there can be different expectations. He has his preferences when it comes to the different nationalities. I'll ask him about the incident with Uli, he seems to get word on about everything that happens of interest on that mountain. I also read where Uli said that they had not interfered with the Sherpas work in any way, or knocked down ice, were only traversing across the ropes. He also offered to assist, but the Sherpas had become in a very bad mood about it. He did say that the Nepalese had spent a long day fixing ropes, and were no doubt quite tired.

Well, Christmas is over, thankfully. I wasn't festive this year. I have a lot weighing on my mind both in my business and personal life. I put on asmile for the kids, and they enjoyed the heck out of it. Work just went to hell over a month ago. WAY too early. Never have I seen this. Im managing dollars like a nut right now. Some work is coming in, but bottoming out that early was not a good thing. The kids don't know it, but I sold my favorite shotgun to pay for their Christmas. I found a collector that paid me good money for it. I didn't want to dip into my available money, because I am way too spooked about a super long winter. Its all psychological right now. Ive got myself just stressed as frig. Work will trickle in, bills will continue to get paid, and come March, it will be nothing more then a bad dream. But sometimes I let the anxiety eat me up. Getting Xmas out of the way was a stress reliever. The wife and kids had a great day, and seeing their joy is what its all about for me.

every-time-53331.gif

Stig, thanks a lot for the bird info, I'm going to study up on that creature. Too bad about your friend's accident, really too bad to have it stifle a guy who must have been a beast. Health is wealth.

Can't hardly say that I don't know the feeling myself, Chris. Work has been sketchy, but it pretty much nosed into the ground. Some machine needs to be invented that will turn compliments into something redeemable at stores. Good on you for being paps and taking care of what was needed. Nothing at all new about young families experiencing things being tight now and again, maybe one thing leading to another, it wouldn't be natural not to. Be glad that you don't have a trust fund that turns you into a useless creature! You have fine skills in much demand and a good head on your shoulders, things will pick up as you say, just believe in it.

Ah I just needed to bitch and whine last night. My bills are paid, my kids are healthy. Winter just has a way of stressing me with no mercy. An early winter is magnifying that effect. The local loggers are slow right now (deer season/holidays). That's why I didn't head for the woods to occupy myself.

That's a good video with the cat kneading, Husabud. Our full grown white cat started doing a 4 paw ritual with her back arched on a blanket. It looked like she was going to take a dump on it. She was just doing this circling, pawing, dance ritual. Fluffing up her place to sleep like a dog will. We now call it her "Crappy Dance."

1/2 in rope is where you need to start. Easier on the hands which reduces fatigue. ( I hope you have some decent grippy gloves)

Like anything else it is all about practice, practice & maybe practice a little more.

Happy xmas :)

Rope walkers are easy on the hands. A chest harness, roller box, or something will probably help more for top heavy people, which most of us probably are, but are unnecessary, but further reduce hand fatigue. I used to have wrist issues when I was pulling myself up the tree so much, fighting friction all the way.

A pulley will reduce your drag more than a FS. It will also put more pressure on your hitch.

A single foot ascender would work on the 1/2" rope, also. I used to use mechanical on 1/2". A foot ascender is in no way life support, so using it out of spec, and not for an employee, should be fine.

Al knows a lot of stuff, but he sure ain't no birdwatcher!

The bird you saw was a Chough, either red or yelow billed race. Most likely yellow on the Eiger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chough
Well good grief it is of the crow family just like a raven now isn't it ? How in the world could I watch that bird anyway .I've never been there and my eye sight while good isn't good enough to see that far .:D

Badly needed clean of all three saws today, stripped down as far as reasonable, compressor to get dirt out from all those nooks and crannies...sharpen two chains for each.
200t got a new tank vent and plastics behind the sprocket...but I'm going to need a diagram to get that handle re-assembled (see chainsaw forum)

Lovely sunny day, set up a bench outside under the trees...radio tuned to the cricket Test...I swear the banter of the commentators is as entertaining as the game, more when got slow like it did this afternoon.

Any of you see that stunt where that dreadlocked champion climber footlocked up a skyscraper? Halfway through he had to cut the tail of his rope because all the length was too heavy to pickup with his foot? Cool video!

Nice Randy!

Roped out a nasty bent -up Walnut yesterday and dropped the spar today. Worst tree to get comfortable in I've done in a long time.

Drove South an hour and bid a storm job, then removed a small leaning Catalpa in a friends yard.

Have to take four more trees out tomorrow in the little neighborhood/town we've had several other jobs in. Another week or so of us there and they won't have a tree left standing.:lol:

That is a great video. Haven't seen in in quite a while. It is up 50 stories, 500 feet. I have seen him climb in person at TCC's. He is good and fun to watch.

Back