How'd it go today?

Haven't been on in a bit. Took a much needed get away down south with some friends in Louisiana, went and hung out with Keith again, had a blast hanging out, and banging out a bunch of work with him and crew while I was in town.

Nice.

How come he hasn't posted much lately?

Keith? He's been going through a divorce and some other personal crap. He took a break from fb and everything else, only recently has he gotten back on somewhat.

60s here today......drizzle.

I'm porting a new MS661.

How did you get one?

Stihl recalled all the ones here, apparently something was wrong.

Case of bad timing.We fell in love with the 661, ordered two and promptly sold our 660s.Then they recalled the 661 and left us stranded with logging season coming up and no felling saws!

Keith? He's been going through a divorce and some other personal crap. He took a break from fb and everything else, only recently has he gotten back on somewhat.

Yes. I like his tree/crane related posts.

How did you get one?

Stihl recalled all the ones here, apparently something was wrong.

Case of bad timing.We fell in love with the 661, ordered two and promptly sold our 660s.Then they recalled the 661 and left us stranded with logging season coming up and no felling saws!

Customer sent it for me to play with. I'm having a little trouble getting big gains from it. I probably trashed this first jug, and will be getting another one. This first attempt I only netted a 12% cut speed increase.

Got the pleasure of driving a Bobcat all day Piling logs all over the little town we've been working in. :|:

Ah well, I'm not complaining about an easy day...:)

Pruned a nice live oak today.... Have to go back a trim some dead off a black oak next to it. Lady already paid and it will only take me about 1/2 hour to finish it up... Then gonna take the rest of the holiday off. Chillin with the chitlins. Was a crazy day yesterday.

I went for a ride in the horse carriage, to test the heating system, I've bought.
Works wonderful. Toasty hands and feet for the lady driving the horse:)
I really enjoy that driving stuff. Slow is good sometimes. The woods here are a fine mixture of conifers and hardwoods and I get plenty of time for looking up into the canopy while sitting in the carriage.
Today is a fine sunny day, so in a couple of hours when the night cold has been burned off by the sun, we'll go for a ride, and enjoy the view of the Berner alps, with Eiger Nordwandt as centerpiece.
I don't know if you can tell, but I'm having one hell of a fine christmas, here:D

1397.jpg

Ha. I've always been utterly fascinated by the Eiger. I have loads of books including Heinrich Herrer's The White Spider and the excellent 'Beckoning Silence' by Joe 'Touching the void' Simpson.

I don't think I have ever been in a horse carriage, though have ridden on a horse a lot. It must be a fine way to travel, and more fun with someone alongside. I like the pace of a horse, gets you to where you are going, but you can still see things like lizards or snakes along the way.

Ha. I've always been utterly fascinated by the Eiger. I have loads of books including Heinrich Herrer's The White Spider and the excellent 'Beckoning Silence' by Joe 'Touching the void' Simpson.

Did you ever read "The Wall of Death"? A really good book about many of the early attempts on the Eiger and the desperate unsuccessful rescue attempts.

In a couple of days I'm visiting an old Swiss friend who climbed the Nordwand 3 times back in the early 70es.
Twice in summer and once in winter.
On the winter climb 4 guys went up and 3 came down.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Berner alps, the peak on the very left in the picture, that I stole on the internet, is eiger ( showing the north face, or as I prefer, Nordwand) Then comes Mönch and Jungfrau. All peaks above 4000 meters. I haven't climbed any of the 3 but climbed Schwarzmönch just behind them in my youth. That one only 2600 meters, but offers a great view of Jungfrau. We got hit by a blizzard up there and had a hell of a trip down in all the snow afterwards.

I don't think I have ever been in a horse carriage, though have ridden on a horse a lot. It must be a fine way to travel, and more fun with someone alongside. I like the pace of a horse, gets you to where you are going, but you can still see things like lizards or snakes along the way.

AS part of a media trip for ski journaists, years ago, this was fun. It was a night ride, I recall, and the temp was probably hovering around 0 F. The Chateau Lake Louise is in a stupendous setting, as is the Banff Springs Hotel, where I've also stayed.
http://www.brewsteradventures.com/dev08/ll_sleigh.html

cn_image_0.size.fairmont-chateau-lake-louise-lake-louise-alberta-101421-1.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ban...l_park_canada%2Fbanff_springs_hotel_3;500;375

The Eiger Sanction was filmed on the Nordwand......

Stig, have you seen the videos of speedflying the Nordwand on skis?

"The Eiger sanction" was written about the Nordwand.The movie came later. Splitting hairs, I know. I just like books better than movies.

Yep, I've seen them. With all the new gear and tecniques, a lot of the former formidable mountains have lost their inacessibility.
Just think of how Everest has been turned into a free for all who can afford it, destination.

To have climbed the eiger 3 times is quite a huge feat afaik, is your friend a beast??

Back