How'd it go today?

Amazes me how the customers take to the kids. I mean granted, you have some that worry about liability... But most just love having them around and respect us for taking them to work and educating them on work ethic. I have had both boys running the mini while we work the harder stuff and Seth has lowered limbs before. Heck... the county road crew and Teichart adopted the boy :lol:
He had his own vest, hard hat and slow/stop sign in a couple days :lol:

Yesterday was the last day for most people to work until Monday ,4 day weekend because of Thanksgiving day .

It looked like the Marde Gras about 3:30 PM .There they were whooping it up some in Michagan blue and some in Ohio State red and white .I'm telling you at times I almost think I should pay an entertainment fee rather than get paid to show up every day .Life is good .:D

Hmm, day off for the holiday...banjo maybe:/:

Tried a knee brace on at the house yesterday and walked around a bit...not good, size felt ok but it was very uncomfortable and I could never where it a whole day.

Knee seems to have been doing better while climbing the past four days. I am favoring it a bit taking smaller steps and keeping it a bit straighter when possible. Seems to help.

Looks like I may be working through the winter and I've been searching for tires that have decent traction for my f450 dually. That poor truck is helpless on wet grass. Don't seem to be finding anything that looks like it would have the tread to go off a dry road for my size rims.

19.5? I'm putting toyos on my 550 today or tomorrow. Quite aggressive looking and Im having them drilled and studded too. M6 or M7 something a rather is the model I think.

Hey Dave, have you ever seen the cold knee wraps? You just keep it in the freezer and put it on at the end of the day when you get home. They are really helpful.

41Ovxc+4WOL._SY300_.jpg

Chris, you sound like you need to do something different. Doesn't sound like 70. Do you stretch much and drink much water? How is the new school climbing? Ascenders? Rope walker!!!! Wraptor! What hurts you most from work, and can that be accomodated. I used to have wrist and back problems, but have adapted.

You want to borrow a ropewalker to try? I just got a second set-up. I've been on a low-fancy version of the Haas for a while now.

Squish, I was just looking at the M608's on Toyo's site. They seem to be the most aggressive thing I've found so far. Dealer not far away either.

Hey Chris, I find I hurt most when I am tense or stressed while working. Easy to do when you work for yourself and have other things on your mind. When I first made the commitment back into the biz in 2011 I started suffering from tendonitis really bad and was sure I wasn't gonna make it. I researched it via Google, haha but learned quite a bit. Ice wraps on my elbows, took about a week off from work and maybe two weeks from climbing. Still wasn't getting much better. Found some exercises on Youtube to do and that started to help. For me I tried everything I could to feel better. Stretching while relaxed, warming up, stretching a little more, Ice packs, ibuprofen, etc.., Do whatever you got to do to help yourself feel better. Maybe have someone climb for you for awhile?
Mark

FJR, When I am warmed up I have less problems it seems. sitting in a low chair for extended time (bent knee) seems to aggravate it. The more it bends the more it bothers. Not sure the cold would help much as there isn't swelling, or much I can see anyway. The problem is more the loss of strength.

I'm going to try wrapping just above the knee next to see if it might help. To me, it feels more like a muscle/tendon thing than a problem with the knee itself.

My issue was I went balls out and did some damage my first 3 years in business. Used to lower limbs out of a tree, go down, untie them, go back up, etc.... I beat myself with no mercy for the first few years for a few reasons. I didn't have the credit then to buy equipment, didn't have the customer base to pay for that equipment anyhow, had a special needs daughter to pay for and a wife that needed to give our special needs daughter her full attention and couldn't work. I ran HARD. I would be loading logs in a pickup in the dark with tears in my eyes. As a result, my body is loaded with muscle tension years later. I no longer work that hard, nor will I ever again. But in a short span, I ripped myself up and haven't unwound yet. I labor less with each passing year, and use machines for the hard work more and more with each passing year. Eventually, I wont labor at all. I will manage the business and focus on that end. That will take me some more years, but its a clearly defined goal.

I have no love affair with tree work. I love the industry, and love trees, but could GAF about climbing trees and all that. I get a natural high now and again for kicking a hard removal in quick time, but in general, a tree is a tree to me. Just another stump when I kick my gaffs off. I don't get off on it very often. I do get off on playing with numbers, selling work, and scheming ways to grow.

Had a very long coni hedge got most of the top down. But I'm working for a non climber who doesn't realise how hard climbing pencil like growth is. More irritatingly the last few weeks I've been doing all the main climbing and not being paid anything close to the main climber. No point in making comment I'm a fool for putting my self in this position. Long story short working for partners God father feel at ransom to not create bad feelings

My issue was I went balls out and did some damage my first 3 years in business. Used to lower limbs out of a tree, go down, untie them, go back up, etc.... I beat myself with no mercy for the first few years for a few reasons. I didn't have the credit then to buy equipment, didn't have the customer base to pay for that equipment anyhow, had a special needs daughter to pay for and a wife that needed to give our special needs daughter her full attention and couldn't work. I ran HARD. I would be loading logs in a pickup in the dark with tears in my eyes. As a result, my body is loaded with muscle tension years later. I no longer work that hard, nor will I ever again. But in a short span, I ripped myself up and haven't unwound yet. I labor less with each passing year, and use machines for the hard work more and more with each passing year. Eventually, I wont labor at all. I will manage the business and focus on that end. That will take me some more years, but its a clearly defined goal.

I have no love affair with tree work. I love the industry, and love trees, but could GAF about climbing trees and all that. I get a natural high now and again for kicking a hard removal in quick time, but in general, a tree is a tree to me. Just another stump when I kick my gaffs off. I don't get off on it very often. I do get off on playing with numbers, selling work, and scheming ways to grow.[/QUOTE
FWIW that last paragraph...nicely put.

Had a very long coni hedge got most of the top down. But I'm working for a non climber who doesn't realise how hard climbing pencil like growth is. More irritatingly the last few weeks I've been doing all the main climbing and not being paid anything close to the main climber. No point in making comment I'm a fool for putting my self in this position. Long story short working for partners God father feel at ransom to not create bad feelings

Welcome aboard mtt!

Hello names Matt. I haven't climbed particularly long but I've watched many climbers and I find that helped pick up lots of good tips and techniques been fortunate to work with some fantastic climbers two of which are fantastic climbers. As soon as I bought my kit I was out every evening after work trying things out deciding what works best for me. Because of this I've proven my colleagues too trust me to work close to their pace and to a good standard. Hence me doing most big climbs recently. If I wasn't quick enough they wouldn't let me sadly money doesn't follow. But I do a few private jobs and on a few occasions work for different firms.

I have no love affair with tree work. I love the industry, and love trees, but could GAF about climbing trees and all that. I get a natural high now and again for kicking a hard removal in quick time, but in general, a tree is a tree to me. Just another stump when I kick my gaffs off. I don't get off on it very often. I do get off on playing with numbers, selling work, and scheming ways to grow.[/QUOTE
FWIW that last paragraph...nicely put.

Very well put Chris. I'd have to agree with you for the most part. I like climbing and what not but I enjoy scheming of ways to make work easier or grow. And mainly running equipment, tree work is my excuse to bring out my inner child and run some awesome equipment haha

If sitting with a bent knee makes it hurt after a while, could be the cartilege pad behind your kneecap being rough and riding off track. I know hpw you feel!...mine sound like rice crispies going down stairs...had arthroscopic surgery to scrape them smooth, they were all rough and grindy from years of lansdcaping and field hockey. getting your quad muscles back up to strength is key, stops the kneecap from riding off to one side and making the problem worse.
I had the first surgery over 10 years ago, still going strong...only a full day on spikes will cause me any trouble and an ice wrap at the end of the day usually takes care of it.

Took down the clump of Robinia the other day, deployed a speed line for the first time ever...went pretty well, not perfect but did the trick of keeping the roses and camellias from beong squashed! We tied the far end to the truck, and used it to tension the rope, Bob was able to walk the branches and logs right to the back of the truck, saved on a lot of dragging.

My hat is off to you Chris!
Hey Matt welcome to the Tree House. If you stick around you will surely learn lots. My name is Mark.
Hey Bermy sounds like you are pulling off something new everyday. Glad it went well for you! I have had success with vertical speedline on one job so far and will likely use it again.

High Matt --obviously I'm Al .

So after turkey I attack the leaves with the Stihl BR 400 back pack blower .Damned yard full of 100 foot oaks and each one of them must drop a half a ton of leaves .Two tanks of gas through that thing and I only did the front .Got the back still to do .I'm either going to buy a Dixie chopper mower with a mulching blade or a herd of goats that eat dead leaves .This is getting too much for an old fart .

Back