How'd it go today?

Today was a productive day for me. I began rearranging my small yard so I can have my firewood organized, stored, to maximize space and most importantly profit. I no longer have a large dilapidated swing set/clubhouse in my backyard. On Facebook my wife found a not for profit local company that refurbishes swing sets and gives them to families that aren't so lucky in the community. It would have taken me half the day to take it down and move it. These two guys with a little help from me had it done in less than an hour. I was able to get quite a few things semi-organized. Hard to see it go. Lots of good memories swinging my children on it but really glad it will make others smile.

I took the dog and went for a bit of a hike today in search of tall hemlock. I wanted to try out this HAAS assembly in something I could just dangle from. Turned out to be a pretty creepy afternoon altogether. The hike in was awesome, but once we stopped it got pretty cold. The wind picked up once I set my throw line, like the instant I set the throw line and hooked up the climb line, the wind started cutting into the tops of the trees.

Anyways, I worked up the tree with the HAAS (Which was pretty damn cool, I was just using it on the tail of my DdlRope, but I think I need to try full SRT soon!) and started hooking into and moving up the larger limbs. I was watching the tree move in relation to the other ones around it and I started to get the creeps. There was a couple hangers in the nearby forest which were grinding, and some other faint intermittent sounds coming from higher up the mountain I couldn't really place. It started to snow. By now I was out of rope to the ground (75ft or so) and the dog was at the base of the tree barking at me, not whining or yipping, full bark. I left the tree, and left the woods. I think the Wendigo was out there. :/:

:D

DSC03519.JPG

DSC03521.JPG

DSC03522.JPG

DSC03523.JPG

DSC03525.JPG

We have a reformed guest of the state who has worked for the forestry department for about 8 years now. Very good worker. I had a student that took that route and has worked in the field for about 6 years now. Straight A student, but raised in a family that believed in living better through chemistry.

With the more severe penal approaches, you still get the same types as where discipline is probably a bit more lacking. That is people that do get a change of heart and mind about their lives, and the ones that will be going back in. I have met a few guys that served some time in prisons here. Looking pale if they recently got out, and there is a lot of very polite yes sir, no sir, and thank you sir. I know a young priest that goes around to neighborhoods where someone getting out of prison will be settling, possibly moving into an apartment. Some kind of license to do that. He will ask for the neighbor's understanding, try to alleviate any fears, and ask for their support where possible. Seems like a good idea, people can get a sense about it anyway, where someone is coming from. I guess that understandably, folks will be somewhat apprehensive. A lot of guys are suddenly on their own after having been in yakuza gangs, without support it can be a tough road. Back into crime may seem the easier way. Some of the prisons are for younger people, the local one is up to the age of 26. I guess they feel that keeping younger guys separated from the more hardened types is probably a good approach. Learning new skills, younger seems better as well.

Actually MB.. no it wasn't.. I paused as I was cleaning out some dead wood.
The guy I did this tree for had me do like 20 trees. NO DEAD period.. Even small stuff you can snap by hand. Rob just happened to catch it. :P

On Saturday nite my wife and I went to the local annual lobster dinner. Everyone gets 2 normal size lobsters, baked potatoe and sidedishes. Before the dance started I held the door prize ticket and won "Larry" the king lobster of the batch.

Attachments

• 20131123_205337.jpg
    20131123_205337.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20131123_205035.jpg
    20131123_205035.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 53
Back