Fighting The Heat!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One size fits all, it seems...

I got the vest today, Paul! This thing looks quite doable, my only concern is how long those ice pack things last.

Can't wait to try it! Thanks, Paul!!!

Luck. I long fought the heat when working away from the coastal environment. Which could vary as much as 50 degrees over just a few miles.

This is an interesting thread to follow and the input can lead to recommendations for my friends still working.

Pace, fluids, and knowing when enough is enough.
I've been known to quit for the day when every item of clothing I'm wearing is actually dripping...

Get your crane operator's license and run cranes for tree guys in the summer, and climb the rest of the year. Those big cranes come with AC!

jp:D

Pace, fluids, and knowing when enough is enough.
I've been known to quit for the day when every item of clothing I'm wearing is actually dripping...
Now, stop that ...
attachment.php

Get your crane operator's license and run cranes for tree guys in the summer, and climb the rest of the year. Those big cranes come with AC!

jp:D
There ya go, Boss ... who knows better how to run a crane for a climber ... than another climber? :D

Have to admit, it is a little humorous to see a very heavyset crane operator get out of his cab with one of those donuts around their neck, the kind to ease long inflight travel.

I have a air connect on the back of the bucket for blowing out saws and it works pretty good for a quick cool down especially blowing through the front of your pants.

Thank You, Paul!

I'm giving the Cool Vest two thumbs up! MasterBlaster Approved! I don't like the Classic style because of the open pockets - they collect debris. I ordered this style because it looks like the cool packs are loaded from the inside, which would be best. Plus, it has a zipper.

Ya'll need this, if you need something to fight the heat. It frigging works! The other $550 vest lasted about 45 minutes and this puppy lasts two hours PLUS.

You need to get a spare pack of the cooling packs, so you can rotate, which requires a dedicated cooler, and ICE. It's a royal PITA, but when you're battling the sun... THIS is what it takes.

I just bought some of the underarmor heat gear today... The long sleeved stuff, one of the guys I work with swears by it, long sleeves/underwear every day I have known him, even into the 90's. he says it does the trick, I will let you guys know what I think of it.

Apples and oranges, brother.

But long sleeves DO help. The secret is to buy the knock offs... it's all the same. Just a brand name you pay for.

I buy mine in the off season, when it's cheap. But! You gotta buy at just the right time, before they get rid of their inventory.

MB Ive been wondering if we should buy a cheap insulated winter vest and mount the cool packs inside that, sounds crazy but makes sense if you think about it.

Do you see what I mean about the vest not feeling cool after you have had it on for 10 mins or so but still it does the job.... FWIW I have the vest with the packs inside.

I dunno - it kinda felt cool the whole time. And it's true, the vest could be fabricated, for sure. It's those danged cool packs that cost so much!

Anyone ordering one?

Me I am a hot weather machine my genetics predispose me to be a warm weather guy. My skin is a chocolate brown to bronze ( constant tan ) and I sweat profusely so I cool easily, I just drink lots of water and don't eat at work which makes me sluggish. I am hyper by nature and am like the energizer bunny I just don't quit till the job is done. I wear black shirts and some times a black Kask and dark blue arborwear originals, because all my shite gets stained up from the three main trees I cut Mahogany, Pride of India and Casaurina which all stain dark reddish brown. So I am a heat magnet and I thrive in it. After I set my throw line and put the climbing rope in place i am drenched but constantly drinking water only. On all day removal I can go through three work shirts easily. Love me the sun and sea too for that fact. The cold is where I am not so good, even though I am born in Canada and have done 13 winters in my late teens and early twenties. I get used to it but I don't thrive in it. Everyone got their weaknesses I guess.

Consider yourself blessed. I sweat profusely too, but it doesn't help a bit.

No way I'd wear black, not even during our "winter."

Back