Fighting The Heat!!!

Nope, didn't get spares. I can wait a half hour for a recharge. It's not THAT hot up here.

I picked up a couple of the helmet packs from http://www.northamericanpride.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9_14 too. They don't really fit well in my hot as balls kask but I have another helmet for em.

This stuff is surprisingly cool in all sense of the word. I had a few other people just put on the vest for 5 min and every one of them made fun of it, but no one wanted to take it off. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I highly recommend you get a spare set. It takes longer than 20 minures to get right... more like a solid hour in ice water.

Sorry for the serial bumping but I did some climbing this afternoon and the vest is f-ing awesome... big thanks for starting this thread. The head one from that other site is a thumbs up too.

I'm telling you, a person could make some money aggressively marketing these to the right people.

So this is for when it really gets hot!!

1.jpg

Doesn't last as long as the body packs but man does it feel good. MB Ill send a couple your way...

Yup they are for vests but they suck as they have a lot less coolant per pack due to the squares. However the construction allows you to cut them in half so you can put them in your helmet. Man it feels good for about 1/2 hour....

I rounded the corners of my coolant packs: doing that makes them a lot easier to slid into the pouches.

Not to be a nagging nelly but those look like they would likely negate or largely reduce the suspension/impact system of your helmet.

Its been hAwt round here lately over 30 degrees for the past forever (I mean week). I've been swimming for a 1/2 hour every day though...being sandwiched between two lakes makes life in the heat a little more bearable.

I live in a 2 story townhouse with no AC. I've got gel packs all over me when I'm home, sure does the trick. If I wasn't so tight right now I'd be ordering that vest up chicken louie. I mentioned this vest dealio to a lineman I play ball with, he kind of laughed at me and said it would probably not jive with their safety standards. Those poor bastards, wearing all that FR shite in the heat playing with the juice, they can keep it!

Its amazing to me how quickly climate can change with topography. One of my favorite things about road trips is to see that change happen at 60-70 mph...like driving into Bend, OR. You come out of the trees on Mount Hood into desert at the tree line so fast.

While hiking in Utah, we changed from one forest type at the top of the hike, into pinyon pine and juniper, into sagebrush in the matter of around 6 miles.

I've been backpacking in the heat and humidity before. The type where its too hot to sleep. I realized as I lay there, on my insulated camping mat, overheated from a day of carrying a heavy pack, that I was insulated from the ground. I laid down on the ground for a while and I cooled off to where I could sleep fine.
Worked in Death Valley in a canyon where the sun beat all day. It was april and 104 degrees in the shade. The ground in the shade should generally be a heat sink. Laying one the ground with max contact and minimum insulation can do wonders for heat buildup.

Running cold water over your head and neck for a literal minute or two will suck out a lotta heat, too. Many people will run it over their head enough to get their hair wet and stop.

I like driving indland on 299 in Northern california.
Starting out in Lush rainforest and ending up in semi desert.
Watching the vegetation change and the birdlife change with it is great.

Right now as I type it's 80 with 60 perent humidity but feels like 95 .I split about a face cord of wood and took a rest .

Back