Fighting The Heat!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1/3 full of water, the rest full of ice - 45 minutes, tops.

Go ahead and get it if that's all you need it to work. I need it to last longer, myself.

Maybe 10 years ago one of the guys at work had some contraption he hung around his neck to dissipate the heat.Claimed it worked .I think he just put it in the refridgerater for an hour and he had several which he changed .I'll go Google in a bit to see if I can find it .

In those days when it was cast iron engines instead of aluminum and that freakin building got hot .I mean a hundred plus degrees between the machines and them spewing fumes from a type of smoke lubrication system .One nasty situation .I looked like a coal miner at the end of my shift .

You can't build an aluminum engine without climate control which is the only reason now it has AC .They could care less if the people dropped over which they used to .

There's a bunch of them .Some are just "do rags " evidently made of some material that cools by evaporation .I have no idea if they'd work or not but they're a hell of a site cheaper than what you have that doesn't work .

I'd like to see that contraption.

I'm using it correctly. It ain't rocket science.

The vest needs to be insulated, too. I believe that's the failing.

Here's just one site of many .Some you can freeze ,some you just immerse in water .http://www.mscooling.com/evaporativecooling

They work on the vaporization principle of water .When the water changes from from a liquid to a gas it absorbs heat .It's the same way a swamp cooler works in areas such as Arizona .

I don't really know how something like this would work in the La humidity .If nothing else get youreslf a couple of those big old bandanas the farmers used to have and soak then in water ,wring them out and wrap it around your neck .If it works to some extent then the better made absorbative stuff should do better .

Way back when I was just a little chit and we lived on the farm my dad would tie a water soaked red bandana around his head and one on his neck then hang one of those pith helmets on his head like Bwana of the jungle .I thought he was nuts but he might have been on to something

I've been using the neck coolers for years. The vests are too heavy and dripping wet.

The neck coolers DO work, for about an hour, maybe a bit more. I keep four in a dedicated cooler that I pack to work every day.

Ice your testicles. It will cool the body. That's a fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evaporative cooling won't work in high humidity situations. Butch you need to check these out....

http://store.coolvest.com/p-1-original-rpcm-cooling-vest-high-visibility.aspx

I have one and it works pretty well, cools for about 2-3 hours so you need a spare set of packs which are about $100 that you keep in a cooler so when one set gets warm you just switch them out. They don't feel like they do much as you are wearing them but you sure notice a difference at the end of the day when you are not wore out. If you want I could send you one with one set of packs so you can try it for a couple of weeks.

They don't feel like they do much as you are wearing them

That part has me worried.

I'll take you up on that offer. How is it you have a spare set?

Click the link. The vest is $179, extra cooling packs are just over $100 if bought at the same time. I like the nail proof pads to protect the cooling packs as well. My clothes are always getting stabbed and torn by tree limbs.

I bought 2 one for me and one for the Mrs. and one spare set of cool packs. She doesn't do tree work much anymore. PM me your address.

my wires on top ( oh er sounds rude)

MB I still think you should try your vest out with a good insulator over top of it to reduce heat loss to the air......

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 61
I agree it would make the ice last longer, maybe another 30. Still, that won't be enough.

Back