cheap bar oil

You mean the water soluble oil like "SolZol"? Never tried it in a chainsaw.

oh, we used soluble oil in alaska in the fish processing machines. mostly cause it was a food grade, but what we used was way to thin for bar oil

I think it has more to do with the amount of oil ,not the brand .

It seems that the more modern saws and their wimpy oilers just wear out bars faster . If they put out about twice the flow it certainly would make things more simple .Then the "greenies " would whine about too much oil as if it were the wreck of the Exon V. all over again .

It is sold here by Oregon, I think it was and is called Arborol..
Mix is 1/10 and it is a oil for saws and harvesters etc.

I don't think it is anything other than a slimmed dryed regular oil to just add water, but I have yet to test this.

Remember to bring your saw indoors in the wintertime, that stuff will freeze solid in the oiltank and make it impossible to run the saw until it's all thawed out again.
Should work okay in Florida and southen California though.

It will get real thick in the cold, but the heat from the muffler will warm it up and keep it moving. Maybe not so much on a saw where the oil res isn't near the muffler, like the 200.

The type of oiler is indeed a factor as to how well they work in cold weather .

The little slotted shaft pumps used on the small Huskies are not to good in this condition . Gear pumps are a little better.Pulse diaphragm pumps work so-so .Most likely the best is pulse driven piston pumps .

All that is nice to know but whatever is on the saw is what you have to deal with . In the past I've resorted to auto tranny fluid under extreme cold conditions .That stuff doesn't have the tacking agent that regular bar oil contains but at least it makes it to the bar which is better than not getting any oil there at all .

Has anyone heard or have used veg-based oils?

I know that the viscosity of something like flax is comparable to that of bar oil..

Is this being used anywhere now or something like it???

I found bar oil in my Wal Mart, for me it wasn't in Lawn and Garden, but on the same shelf as engine oil. It was labeled "SAE 30wt Bar Oil."

$5.50ish.

That's been my source for several years now. Was under $4 as recently as last year.

I use the Wal-mart bar oil. 1 gal. Green bottle labeled Poulan. Under 5 bucks

You know Skwerl, about 6 months ago or so we had a 5,923,512 page thread on bar oil. What the hell are you trying to prove now? Did you forget to bring a point up or just a poor memory? Now I had to take some of my precious time to kill this thread. I hope you break a clutch spring...Rick

You guys trying to get me stirred up again? Im still on medication from last time...Rick

I used cheap ass old engine oil till 1986 then i noticed all my saws almost immediatly blew the oilers:?:?:?

Wal-Mart

Super-Tech SAE 30 bar oil

under $6.00 a gallon

Automotive Dept.

I watched a dude run gas in his oil tank back in the line clearance days. He didnt feel like walking all the way to the trucks for oil. Saw never caught fire. I lost that bet.

Well just about anything would work untill they came up with these fancy oilers.
Shoot i enjoyed pressing the button everytime i wanted a squirt haha.

I've thrown gas in the oil tank to clear a blocked oiler before. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Never any problems from it though.

I learned that you can do it (run gas through). I think it is a ballsy move. Lots of heat and friction under that clutch cover. i guess not enough to ignite.

Kerosine or diesel fuel through an oiler is an age old fix that sometimes works .

Timely that this thread is still going on because Tom the tree guy just left .He dropped off a half a pickup full of old saws plus 20 gallons of bar oil just because he didn't like the stuff .Hey ,cheap is good free is better .;)

Man, I'm still using the green Wally World bar oil since I found out they sell some. I have not had a problem. Can't notice any difference. I even saw guys in Jerry's videos using the Wally World stuff. I figure; if the loggers use it, then there isn't a problem.

I'm glad you guys brought it up. I wouldn't have even checked if they had it.:thumbup:

Check out stils biobaroil ,its works great and if you spill it on soil it feeds the soil.works great wth old big saws.high dollar stuff.

Man, I'm still using the green Wally World bar oil

I bought a gallon of bar oil from Ace hardware last week. The stuff was completely black. It even smelled like recycled motor oil. At least wally world oil is nice and clean, and inexpensive.
Its hard to buy here. Several tree guys are hip to it, and come in with shopping carts and clean them out (me included )

I wanted to bring to every one's attention that Echo put their bar oil on sale recently. Still is here so far.. About 2 bucks or more cheaper per gallon individually than the other stuff I can get up here. Might be worth checking into.

Back