cheap bar oil

Why does my eye start twitching & a vain pop out in my forehead every time I get on a BAR OIL THREAD?

Now we all know used motor oil is a big no no in the chainsaw. But! I'm changing out my oil on my boom this next week. I think I read about someone on here using that used oil as bar oil before is this true?

Rick you're going to have to try harder to kill this thread.:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Used hydraulic fluid won't hurt anything, although it won't have the tackifier to keep it from slinging off the bar. Maybe you could mix it 50-50 with bar oil to get some tackifier? You're probably using AW-32 so it should be plenty thin enough to flow well. That helps on those Stihls since they tend to be kinda stingy on bar oil.

Yah AW-32. I'll try it out then and see how it woks, I'm going to have aprox 25gallons of the stuff so I'm hoping it works out ok. Mixing it would probably work too, if it's to thin or not sticking enough I'll definetly try that out.

8)

I have been mixing the bar oil in my saws with more bar oil at every fill up. It's been working splendidly now for about 15 years.

what evers in the tank:what ever it take to fill it again:lol:

justin, your aw32 is practically food grade anyway so your saving the world at the same time;)

I used actual veggie oil a couple yrs ago for about 6 months. after 3 burned up oilers in 2 diff saws, I went back to the regular oil. someone on AS gave me hell for not taking better care of my saws....he can go spank himself.

last time i bought oil, i think i paid right at $6/gal. its off brand stuff.

Danged price went up on all oils no matter what they are used for .

Somebody on one of the forums claimed they went through a couple hundred gallons of bar lube a year . Sounds like a bunch to me but it is the internet ya know .Any way this guy used hydraulic oil he found some place ,maybe from oil changes on back hoes or something .

I suppose it would work if you had a saw thet would really pump oil which eliminates most Stihls .

Now that deal of using old crankcase oil is another thing .I'm cheap but I'm not that cheap .Gawd having to fool with stuff to save a buck is about nonsensical in my opinion but whatever anybody actually does to their saws is their business . I'm not going that route myself ,yuck .:(

I once read where a chainsaw expert recommended using winter viscosity bar oil all year round, better penetration into the chain, he claimed. I've started to do that. Seems like it might help the saws with reduced oil output too.

Back