cheap bar oil

I don't know .If the stuff doesn't have enough tacking agent in it you can fling a lot of it off .

Some of those little saws with pressurized oil tanks just won't shove thick oil out to the bar when it gets cold . Tranny fluid works you just use a lot of it .

Maybe ,just maybe salad oil would work better it that case .Can't say for sure though,never used it .

I will say this though,Crisco or salad oil is a good lubricant for spinning on tubeless tires .The veggie oil doesn't work on the rubber the same as petroleum based lubricants . Then again how many people besides myself mount tubeless tires ,trivia .

I've seen my tire guy put soap on the tires for mounting them. Sounds like some sort of prison thing.

Rambling on ,"poly water" which is a wire pulling lubricant is nothing but that bio tech stuff sold by Oregon .It basically is KY jelly and also makes a good tire mounting thing .

Another trivia item .Jelled water has less friction that straight water and is used in hydrafracturing sub strata rock fomations in oil wells .

So when all is said and done really KY jelly has as many uses as WD-40 and duct tape .How 'bout them apples .:lol:

Another trivia item .Jelled water has less friction that straight water and is used in hydrafracturing sub strata rock fomations in oil wells ..:lol:

I was wondering how they did that.:D I've only seen water wells being drilled and they don't go so deep as to need K-Y, only mud.

I was wondering how they did that.:D I've only seen water wells being drilled and they don't go so deep as to need K-Y, only mud.
Apples and oranges .Drilling mud just keeps the bit from sticking and washes away the rock dust else it could get stuck tight as a bulls azz in fly time .

Hyrdafracturing is where they crack the rock formation around the base of a well by intense hydraulic pressure and blow in coarse sand or bauxite to create like a big wick type condition to capture more oil .

They use several methods depending on the type of sub strata rock . I'm certainly no expert on the subject by any means .What info I know comes from my brother who once worked the oil fields around Gillette Wy and Sydney Mont .

Yepum duct tape has a lot of uses

Attachments

• duct tape guys.jpg
    duct tape guys.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 80
Squishey-san, The hydraulic fluid works petty well as barlube but it slingeth profusely forsooth. I used it straight in the power pruner and in othe4 saws when things were below freezing but otherwise found that mixed 50/50 with tackified baroil was a happier solution.

I went to the hardware store to pick up a few gal to tide me over till I could get to the tree supply store for some cases. Stihl oil was $19.25 per gal......:O I bought one gal of no name brand for $13.96. I called the tree store, they sell for $8+ per gal. So maybe I should check Walmart, huh?

Yeah, I was at Lowes the other day and running low, the cheapest they had was $8.69 a gallon, the Husky stuff was around $17 a gallon!!

My Lowes was $8 and change for Husky.
Walmart Poulan $7 ,
Sure Tech $7 makes good winter oil, thinner.

You guys are buying by the gallon? You should be purchasing minimum 4 gallon cans. Isn't it sold that way over there?

Never saw a 4 gallon can around here. :/: Besides, my guys would end up spilling half of it on the ground. :? But that's not a bad thing, right? It just gets "absorbed" by the environment. :roll:

You guys are buying by the gallon? You should be purchasing minimum 4 gallon cans. Isn't it sold that way over there?

I'm not sure about the others but I know you can get Stihl oil from 1 quart up to a 55gal drum.

I was way into the 5 gallon thing.
My guys were not, so i told umm to buy their own ber earl.

I can get it in a 2.5 gallon can at my local Exxon dealer. The only trouble with it is that it is a tranismission oil base and everytime I take my saw in to be worked on the mechanic will sniff the oil and look at me like I just molested some little girls and ask me am I using transmission oil, don't I know what proper bar oil is? I think the Poulan oil at Wally World is just as cheap anyway.

i can get it in 5 gallon and 55 gallon. i used to buy walmart for 4.88 a gallon, chevron pails were 35 bucks then. more expensive and more of a pain, ill stick to gallons if thats the case

We ran sunflower seed bar oil until the local shop stopped carrying it. The only problem was that you would get so hungry running the saw from the smell of "roasted" sunflower seed.

Back