How'd it go today?

One other thing about flossing and keeping bacteria down in the mouth is that higher levels of bacteria are tied to increased risk of heart attack if I recall.

That second opinion or a google search could confirm.

Per my dentist, when I had a root canal, an infection in your upper jaw bone can go to your brain and lower jaw to you heart, IIRC.

Turns out that some guy on the internet thinks so, too.
https://www.healthtap.com/user_ques...ect-any-part-of-your-body-like-heart-or-brain

I actually did some work today.
Ground the roots of a former hedge up, so the owner could put in a nice picket fence.
That I could do with one and a half hand.

Sure was nice to do something useful.

I actually did some work today.
Ground the roots of a former hedge up, so the owner could put in a nice picket fence.
That I could do with one and a half hand.

Sure was nice to do something useful.
Nothing like a sense of accomplishment ....awesome!

I’m glad you got out and about Stig. Prolly going a bit stir crazy.
I had a good day. Squared off with a raccoon this morning while removing a rotted out silver maple. I just kept the 660 cutting full bore till the section came loose and hoped that bigger didn’t want to come back up the spar. In the afternoon I did a nasty reduction on some hemlocks that have been sheared for 30 years. Took 20 footers down to 10. Homeowner wanted them below all the utilities. They came out ok for what I did. They are just giant bushes when sheared anyhow and I really despised shearing that height anyhow. I’m going back in the fall to do some pruning on the oaks and a crabapple. Got done at a decent hour and dumped a load of mulch in the garden.

I'm in that boat.....I'm trying to get to where I have the money to take the time off. Also not have my crew in a bind when I take care of me.

When I had my teeth worked on, it was way cheaper and easier than I thought it was gonna be. If I'd have known that I would have done it much sooner.

I'm working on it right now, and it isn't cheap at all, not really easy and too degraded to restore all of it properly.

I waited way too long because money, job and (mostly)fear and the decay progressed very deeply in the jaws, hollowing the bones until the tips of the roots in three areas. I wasn't aware how bad it can easily become, beside the hearth disease (which was in my mind the ultimate point of progression, but obviously it couldn't happen to me). Actually, I probably wasn't far from that, maybe still I am, but the structural damage is a really big concern on itself.

The bone's jaws are well blooded but curiously they can't fight the infections properly. That gives a sort of blend between abscess and ulcer, hidden for the most part (only recurrent pain and blood flushs time to time), but deeper and deeper. In one point of my low jaw, I have only less than 1/4" of sound bone left. The dentist said that I wasn't far from a fracture and he can't put a new tooth here, not enough bone left to hold a titanium implant.

That sucks big time. Don't wait to make what's needed, it will become worser and worser, and quickly.

A skidder driver I've worked with for the last 25 years got real sick 3 years ago.
Sepsis in his blood.
The doctors tried to knock it down with antibiotics, but it kept coming back.
Then his dentist found out that he had a large abcess under the teeth im his left side jaw, that was leaking bacteria into the blood stream constantly, but was so well developed and abcessed that the antibiotics didn't really reach it.
After having that opened up and drained, he got well amazingly fast.

Poison Ivy cure

FWIW, there was a video circulating about the need to scrub with soap, not just wash with soap to get the oil off. A washcloth led to lots less PI rash over barehand washing, alone.
I'm not very sensitive to urushiol, the allergen oil found in poison ivy, oak, and sumac. But then again, I also tend to be keen to avoid contact with it, so it's not generally an issue. We keep Grime Boss wipes in the truck in case of incidental contact (also great for clean up when you throw a hydraulic line or forget to fully tighten a Stihl bar oil cap). A couple of fellows on the crew swear by those wipes, that they totally remove the oils and they wind up with no rash or symptoms.

Meanwhile, my wife is highly allergic, after napping in a bed of poison ivy during her teenage years (ouch!). We keep a full complement of calamine lotion, IvaRest, poison ivy soap, and hydrocortisone cream on hand in case she has ANY incidental exposure. But I just found out about a product called Zanfel, which claims to be the only product clinically shown to remove urushiol from the skin after breakout and relieve itching. Anyone have any experience with that product? I'll probably grab a bottle to keep on hand, since we're in prime PI season here, esp. before the identifying leaves come out.

Nothing like a sense of accomplishment ....awesome!

It is more just a sense of gradually getting back to being useful.
You missed out on it, I think.
March 9th I was falling a large Doug fir and got hit by a falling branch, which splintered my left wrist.
So after becoming the proud owner of a titanium splint and a dozen screws, I've been languishing at home since.

So taking the stumper out for a job was a fine thing indeed:)

I'm not very sensitive to urushiol, the allergen oil found in poison ivy, oak, and sumac. But then again, I also tend to be keen to avoid contact with it, so it's not generally an issue. We keep Grime Boss wipes in the truck in case of incidental contact (also great for clean up when you throw a hydraulic line or forget to fully tighten a Stihl bar oil cap). A couple of fellows on the crew swear by those wipes, that they totally remove the oils and they wind up with no rash or symptoms.

Meanwhile, my wife is highly allergic, after napping in a bed of poison ivy during her teenage years (ouch!). We keep a full complement of calamine lotion, IvaRest, poison ivy soap, and hydrocortisone cream on hand in case she has ANY incidental exposure. But I just found out about a product called Zanfel, which claims to be the only product clinically shown to remove urushiol from the skin after breakout and relieve itching. Anyone have any experience with that product? I'll probably grab a bottle to keep on hand, since we're in prime PI season here, esp. before the identifying leaves come out.

You pretty much nailed it down with the story about your wife.
Overexposure can cause extreme sensitivity to it in people, who, like you and me, have never been bothered by it.

I have a good friend in California who never reacted to Poisin oak, until he took a weedwiper to an area in his back yard that was full of it.
Since then, he can't even look at it without being affected.

Zanfel is fantastic, used properly. It absorbs the oil and stops the itch. Need to re-apply as more itch presents itself when more oil surfaces. In my area Walmart has it $10 cheaper than other drug stores.

The product Tecnu Extreem seems to be attempting the same thing by using micro absorbing capsules also, at a far cheaper price. ($35 an oz as compared to $10 or so for several oz's.) I use Tecnu to bulk wash, Tecnu Extreem to bulk absorb, Zanfel for ultimate total removal.

If I know I'm going to work through poison oak I pre coat with Tecnu and use disposable Tyvex coveralls etc. On the Zanfel websight they tell why a goat or deer does not get rash (thick skin) and if we get all the urisol carrying oil off in 2 hours from exposure, we won't either.

I used to be "allergic" to it. (hospitalization type allergic) and came to a way of dealing with things called Nambudrapods Allergy Ellimination Technique, NAET for short. It will change a persons world. In that mode of dealing with things you are just more reactive to something or less reactive to it and you can move either way on the scale by doing specific things.

I'm sure glad we don't havy any of that stuff here.
All we have is Giant hogsweed.

It is phototoxic, that means it takes away your resistance to sunlight, so you end up with 3rd degree burns unless you stay in the dark.

I've run into it twice without knowing.

First time I wasn't wearing a shirt and ended up looking like I'd stood next to an exploding french fry cooker.

Second time me and an apprentice were going through an area with brush cutters.
There must have been some small Hogweeds that we didn't notice, because we both ended up with a gazillion little blisters on our arms and necks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracleum_mantegazzianum

Back