How'd it go today?

I don't think I would fly that. Scary is only two outriggers for how tall it is And how tall the truck is. The bucket had a opening on the back for access.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

That thing looks like about a 1958 GMC 1 ton .Going down the road at 20 MPH it would shake rattle roll and act like a bucking bronc .

Been busy the last two weeks so haven't been on as much as usual. Took a little working vacation down south today heading towards Louisiana, working with Keith and crew again for a week or two. Dad's got a bunch of easy stuff lined up he can do while I'm gone.

Currently in Louisiana, stuck behind a wall of creeping traffic, only an hour away.

My wife and I spent Mothers Day together preparing for our long heating season ahead. Each of my firewood bins is 10 feet long, 6 feet high, and 4 feet deep. I have a total of 8 of these bins. 100_4582.jpg

The firewood is a mixture of green ash, cottonwood, and paper birch.

1 full cord in the bank. About a dozen more will be needed.

Joel

That's a lotta heating to be done!!

We burn about 2 cords at our house, more or less, and I usually have it hot. Winter is the one time of year where it is hot in our house. Some summers its hot for a week in July, but not by choice.

Sean,

I have an old three story home, sold by Sears and Roebuck back in 1915. The house is 4000 square feet, including the basement. Our heating season starts around September 15th and lasts through May. During the coldest months of December, January and February, we'll burn about 2 cords of firewood per month. Most of the time my wood burning furnace will keep up by itself, but every so often the propane furnace will kick in to help out. The propane furnace only kicks in when it's cold (30 degrees below zero) and the wind is howling.

That stack of firewood was too wet to burn last winter. It was kept over the winter in the form of 8' long logs. It was all cut, split and stacked today. It would be a whole lot more work if it wasn't for my little Kubota tractor and the forks we use on the 3-point hitch.

Joel

Al Smith,

My Daka wood burning furnace was ordered with the coal grate and coal door option. When I'm too old and broken down to harvest firewood any longer, I'll be switching over to coal. My firewood bin in the basement will be converted to hold coal.

Rangerdanger,

I missed that episode on the History Channel dealing with the old Sears and Roebuck homes. I'd really like to see it.

Most of the history I've seen on the Sears and Roebuck homes states that the interior finish woods were offered in solid oak on the main floor, with birch trim in the upper levels. This much is true. My entire main floor has solid oak trim around every door and window. Even the baseboards are solid oak, 1" x 8". Every door is solid oak, and a full 2" thick. Each door weighs about 80 pounds. All of the ceilings are 9'6" throughout the home, with the exception of the attic, which has a 14' height.

Joel

I planted 1300 Abies Grandis today. Normally we do 1000 a day and quit, but I have to take my dog to the vet tomorrow, so I needed a headstart on those 1000.
Now I'm off to teach karate...................!

Back