Big snow brings fun work

rbtree

Climbing Up
Thanks to Andy (lakeside_53 from AS), we were called to remove 80 feet of a hemlock which failed onto a multi-million dollar home, from the snow load.

This is at Lake Tuck, near Duvall, where there was 2 feet of snow on the ground or more, from 6 different snow events.

The roads are barely passable, even with 4wd, even after their private gated community has been plowed twice. So, a crane was out of the question.

We arrived late today. Mike Oxman climbed the snag, set a block, and cut off a couple pieces. The line was fixed to a porta wrap. I had set a line in a well positioned cedar. Mike jugged up it, and set another block, which was set to be retrievable from the ground. Our static line was rigged, and I tied it to the 25 foot portion of the tree overhanging the deck. We tensioned it with each rope, and I cut it free. The lowered it down neatly.
3142626361_fc69c11d12_o.jpg

3142626459_696df63912_o.jpg

3143454584_465a9fa882_o.jpg

I had accessed the roof via a 32 foot ladder, tossed my lifeline over to the tree and pulled myself to it, via a 45 degree steep section of roof. Then, I'd gone up the main roof and tied a mid line to the tree, and thrown it to the ground opposite the side we'd be attempting to lift the tree. It was tied back to keep the tree from swinging sideways too fast when we lifted it.

3143454618_ff2702976e_o.jpg

Mike had been concerned that the tree on the roof might move a bit, so he had tossed my another line to tie past where we cut the overhanging section off. He'd run it around the cedar at 30 feet. Turns out the tree stayed put, so we pulled that out and retied it closer to the top, and tossed it over the roof on the side as we'd be lifting, in case we needed to help the tree swing clear of the house. I got the static line back and tied it 25 feet from the tip, and tied the butt line back to the 30 foot snag. Then I came down, and we tried to lift the entire remaining 45-50 feet off. No luck, the line angles were too extreme, and the tree is weighted down with the snow on it, plus a brance or two could be stuck in the roof.

So, we'll go back tomorrow. There's a perfectly placed hemlock which we'll set a block in and another static line, attach that line to the tip, and remove the first static line and tie it to the butt, where it will be well placed to lift the butt up. We'll get rid of the line and block at 30 feet in the snag. And add the Hobbs to the hemlock so we can lift each line in unison. The back line will still allow us to control the sideways movement. It should hang clear of the roof and be able to be neatly lowered to the ground.

It may be raining tomorrow, but I hope to be able to be up the snag, taking pics and video of the operation. I'll get Andy to replace me while I'm filming.

Nice one hand sawing!

Yup, it sure is. Sometimes you have to be smart enough to keep your body back away from the possible swing area. Two handing that cut would have put Ox in a much more dangerous position. He's been running saws long enough to teach you a thing or two about kickback. Go back to Treebuzz if you want to point out stupid crap like that. :roll:

original jumars Brendon......old school, but I think they still make em'

We took a few trees off of houses this year. We always support them with at least 2 ropes and then we get up on the roof and start cutting away. One time we used the Hiab crane to lift but that's not usually an option. We don't have a Hobbs/GRCS but there have been times that we wished we did - they're just so friggin' expensive. You would have to work on really big trees a lot to justify that expense.

I want a GRCS so friggin' bad ... I WILL buy one soon ! Nice work on the Hemlock , I'm sure the customer could tell that there were experienced pros at work !

once you use one you wont go back....worth every penny. Besides, maybe the first tree wont' pay for all of it, but you will be surprised how much you use it once you have it

my first I bought for 1800 used, second was 2000 used. Still worth it

Arborists remove broken Hemlock tree from roof in snow.

Good eye on spotting the Jumars used to traverse from the broken stub over to the Cedar. It was real comfortable having tall trees close by to rig from.

Thought this bunch would've liked the video. Here's a try at embedding the code:

[URL="<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=7403712154812395151&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

Back