Big snow brings fun work

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's a way too long video, with me running off at the mouth. kick me.

it's 49 mb.....

<object width="400" height="302"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2664236&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=00adef&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2664236&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=00adef&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="302"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://vimeo.com/2664236">Woodland Hemlock fallen on roof</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1090539">Roger Barnett</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.

Geese Roger whay didnt yall just cut frisbees?
And toss umm off ?
Is it bigger than it looks? Guess not.

Nice work though as u did it...
Cant imagine a crane for that lil tooth pic.
What happened on the first day ?

Download This Video

That yellow one is a Vertex hardhat. The video I meant to include in that last link has just been corrected.

For those of you who edit videos, the process is a convoluted endeavor. This is the first time I have tried out Quicktime Pro, and it has a few tricky elements. Thanks for bearing with us as the process is worked out.

This is a shot of the failed Hemlock trunk being confidently removed by Roger with his Husky chainsaw. This man handles that saw like it is part of his body.

Sharp eyes may spot the Hobbs block still mounted at the base of this tree. This was the hoist used to raise the butt of the log off the roof. This gave about 3 feet of clearance over the flushmount skylights and 2' tall twin roof vent stacks.

Less than ten seconds of cyberspace. I'm hoping someone will describe the attachment process of embedding the video link in a post.

Hauling the snow encrusted rope up onto the roof to lower the broken Hemlock log.

This shot was taken with the Nikon D90 SLR camera. It is now officially broken in. Google has shrunk the size of the file down to standard definition, so it was kind of a waste to use decent equipment. I understand YouTube has the capability of displaying hi-definition video. Maybe I should switch video servers? Any comments on the diffeent file size? Thanks.

Treesville 2e video clip.

Geese Roger whay didnt yall just cut frisbees?
And toss umm off ?
Is it bigger than it looks? Guess not.

Nice work though as u did it...
Cant imagine a crane for that lil tooth pic.
What happened on the first day ?

It was funner this way. Cutting it up would have been dicey. It would have required at least one line to work off, as the tree couldn't have been used for stability while walking around. The snow wouldn't allow branches (and probably not the wood either) to be rolled or tossed off.

We had to have the rigging we had on day one to get the overhanging section clear. It was late, so we didn't think to rig the tip off the well positioned other hemlock till I was driving home that night.

It was small, yes, but there was 59 feet of it on the roof. With no snow, it wouldn't have been that hard to piece it up and get it off, but would still have needed lifelines.

You're getting forgetful in your old age, Mike. You already posted that link last night. Scroll up 6 posts. :P:D

different video, rodent.. :/: ..at least it is now.....I think Mikey got sneaky and changed it to the one he meant to link to.

Download This Video

This is a shot of the failed Hemlock trunk being confidently removed by Roger with his Husky chainsaw. .

that's my ehp Dolmar 5100S, Mike...... a bone stock 440, though 2 classes larger, has no chance against it, in small wood.

Bah, we know you're a Stihl hater and probably had a dull crooked cutting chain on the 440 when you did the comparison.:P

Nice work you guys.8)

Deffinatly way more fun the way you did it.
We never get to work in snow here but we do get snot slick roofs all the time.

Bah, we know you're a Stihl hater and probably had a dull crooked cutting chain on the 440 when you did the comparison.:P

Nice work you guys.8)

Never said I hate 'em. Heck, I have 13 of 'em.....plus, have had 3 stolen, and sold a few

Why, you selling? I've got enough for now I think, but I am seeing visions of a new 460 in my future, before they scrap them. Also maybe a 440 if my local shop stihl has any. And I stihl need a real big gun 880 or maybe score a 090 somewhere.

the one that never want's to start until the 30th pull..............:what:
If the powerless head matches the bar.
:D

Mike, that's a Dolmar 5100S, wood ported by Ed Heard....takes small mount Husky bars.....

Would you believe it, snow event round 7 is underway, 3 inches here already. It's gonna change to rain soon though, maybe even big rain in the mts by Tues nite.

but, till then, 2-3 feet of snow is s'posed to fall, reckon I'll ski the next two days before the deluge cometh.....

Back