Work vs life

Short days here now it's winter, so jobs tend to be local so we can get stuff done. No one's in a hurry right now so I have some leeway. I try for three good days a week, my groundy just got her heavy combination driver's licence so is driving a truck other days in the week.
Chippers been down for a month (manufacturer had to make a part, yeah, that's gonna be a bill I just close my eyes and press 'pay') that put the keebosh on some jobs for sure because I'm not going back to the days of triple handling material and multiple trips to the tip. Did that for one job just up the street last week...what a pain, really has highlighted how much I use the chipper.
Segue to the 'Sailing' thread, we decided to do stuff when we could, when were younger and had a bit of money, don't have much now but we have been places, done stuff, made memories, and are happy to jog along. House is paid for, all gear is paid for, live in a country with social medicine.
Not bad overall.

Being a bit on the lazy side, I work as little as possible. I try to give it 110% while I'm working, and try to get to the house as fast as I can when I'm done.

Haven't worked a 40 hour week in I can't remember when. This week came in at shy of 24 hours. I probably average 20-25 hours a week.

No sir.

Just looked back in my notes...7 hours last week (rain, rain, rain)...13 hours the week before.

Last edited:
I agree. keep it simple. the hard part though is telling other people no. Its not me that wants to work, or needs to work, its the people calling all the time expecting me to work. I have never had any love for "work", just a hard time telling people no.
I quit working for other because they wanted me to work too much. i didnt realize that customers were harder to escape than a bossman. Before I had employees and a family, as soon as I had the bare minimum to survive I could just disapear and not answer the phone until I got hungry again. those were the days. had a garden for food and rode my bike everywhere, had next to no expenses, worked for climbing gear, rent, and beer. . did a job or two a week for cash. Now i have other people to answer to, which has its perks too. I think most of my business decisions have been guided by a desire to get out of doing more work, although with varied success.

Last edited:
That's what it comes down to for me. I've been on a spending spree the last couple years with tree stuff, but I'm about out of stuff to buy. Other than that, eating out is my biggest discretional expense, and most of that is the boss' fault. He doesn't bring food to work, so I eat out with him. I don't buy much in the way of "things".

Well, there's plenty more I could piss money away on, but being realistic on what I actually need, it's just about all done. When I was looking at mini prices, I thought "Hmm... I could handle $25k. But you need a trailer too! Yea, yea, I got enough for a trailer..." But then reality set in, and I forgot about it. I can justify saws, ropes, saddles, and routine stuff as the cost of having a hobby, and having a little money trickle back in, but major stuff like a mini would have to make me some real money to justify the cost, and I don't have the skill or inclination to make this stuff a full time job at this point.

fwiw, your view on the mini having to make some real money to justify, reminds me of what Mayer says about his cranes when tree guys ask how he can afford their $1m cost- 'these cranes make so much money so fast and so easy I couldnt possible afford not to own them'

Might be true for some folks, but while my Boxer is useful from time to time, it has not paid for itself. I don’t use it near enough.

Back