Tree work thoughts

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 1 speed people can be just fine. As an owner, if you supply the tools (aka iron), 1 speed people get a ton done. Of course you can work on their efficiency of movement, which imo is where speed comes from at work in the first place. Working smarter not harder. Minimizing wasted movements that don't add to production. Expecting non owners who are paid a flat hourly rate to completely bust their ass continuously for your profit is honestly an insane expectation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good post, 09. As I mentioned in my post, there are pros and cons to 1 speed. And by all means, efficiency of movement is key.

..."to completely bust their ass continuously" is rash overstatement, I never suggested that. A little more hustle and drive is what I mentioned. But it aint gonna happen. People are what they are. Back in the day when I worked for others doing treework, I definitetly worked hard and hustled. My main previous employer joked that after I left, he 'had to learn how to do treework again'. I can easily name the top 3 employees I've had, one is the ninja who started his own treeco after he moved to SC, and another started his own construction company, and I don't know what the third guy is doing, he was a 'Maineiac' and is probably somewhere in the deep woods now, But my point is, some folks evidently have drive to achieve and produce, and others don't.

Honestly it was more to @Patrick A post, where his guy and him hit a rare stride and did the job in half the time bid, soaked in sweat and out of breath. Let's get real, that can't be your normal if you are huffing after 2 hours of work, that's not even remotely sustainable. Also i think there's a drive to work/odds they simply go work for themselves relationship, as in the more driven they are the quicker they move on.

Pacing!

Famous mountaineer Paul Petzoldt said again and again, let your breathe determine your pace, not your pace determine your breathe.

Patrick, one of your guys coulda been pissed at his gf, or son, or LEO, for all we know, setting the pace by working like gangbusters from anger, and the other 2 of you kept up.

Maybe he had a fantastic morning!

I did not push or set a crazy expectation for either of us. The overall feeling was a great sense of accomplishment. I was trying to describe the shift in pace that still seems to have happened without any prior agreement. However, we both agreed it was exceptional and now we have a good memory of a hustle.
@SeanKroll It was just the 2 of us and the client watching us and happy we were out of his sight earlier than he thought.

When you finish more quickly that you bid...do you reduce the original price, and/or do you get clients expecting a reduction in the price?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope Patrick responds HELL NO!! ;)

Especially on a 4hr sized job

Not unless you quoted an hourly rate.
The client has no idea how many people and gear I will bring so it is most often quoted by the job. If they ask, I will give details but most of the time they stop asking after I say chipper, winch, plywood for the lawn.

Reminds me of a job recently where I needed my 200ft throwline, I take it out of the bag and it looks like a ball of yarn. I actually told the client that it is good for him that I do not charge him by the hour. He laughed and simply said you have to do what you have to do. Once he saw the big shot in action, he said that it was worth it. The other memorable time was when I forgot the keys to the chipper and I did not know how to hot wire it. "How did you loose time today?" could be a thread if it does not already exist.

Locked the keys in the truck once. Guess the crew didn’t lose time but the boss or sales guy had to bring us the other key.
For future reference, if you ever lock your keys in the car, most taxi companies have a few drivers that’ll jimmy it open.

Locked the keys in the truck once. Guess the crew didn’t lose time but the boss or sales guy had to bring us the other key.
For future reference, if you ever lock your keys in the car, most taxi companies have a few drivers that’ll jimmy it open.
cars that have a „nipple“ can be opened with throwline. just slide it inside the car-door-rubber-gasket, tie a slipknot and pull that into the car, than you can catch the „nipple“ and pull it up…

Back in the eighties when I worked for an Opel (GM dealership) I could get into any of them in a minute or so.
Down the window with a very thin strip of plastic.

Wedge the door frame open as much as you dare. Take a thin strip of 3/4 inch wood (about 1/8") 4 feet long. Light string in a notch or hole at the end. Put in through top of door and flex strip with string to hit the unlock button. Takes some pracitce and patience but it does work. Don't ask me how I know. I put a key under the license plate screw on all my vehicles.

I've gained access with a plastic felling wedge and heavy duty coat hanger. The wire is 3/16'' thick. It can pull or push. Buttons are no problemo.
I've even rolled down a manual crank window. One of my trucks has a loose 4 wheel drive, manual shifter boot. With the keys in the ignition, off position of course, i crawled under and fed that coat hanger up through. Just a little 90* bend on the end and I pulled the keys out. They then fell down the hanger into my hand.

Back