What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 482K
For as yet unidentified reasons, our power went down from about 3pm to 8pm...I suspect too much demand for available supply.

Set up the WEN genny right away, as it was 106 or so outside, though only 80ish inside...refrigerator and a couple of fans up and operational in short order.

I do like that little generator:).

My a/c will probably come on for the first time tomorrow. It was 80° when I checked the thermostat earlier, and it's gonna be hotter tomorrow. My trees help a lot by keeping the sun off the house. Everyone else has been running their a/c awhile.

I can't really tell what weather we have, as it changes constently. Hot, cold, rain, sunny, every few hours, we get something different, like random picking.

Muthafricka...115 in Portland, OR this afternoon. That is 11 degrees above the previous recorded high.

109 on my shaded porch about 3PM. We have never seen anything like this...best we can recall, 102 is the max temp recorded since we've lived here...that being 1979...and that was a one day surge. This is 4 days now well above that. Crazy.

The plants and trees are getting hit hard. Garden is looking limp, no matter how much and often we are watering.

Newly hatched birds have to be dying in their nests, cavities, and the boxes we put up for them :(.

Last edited:
Bummer, Burnham. Hope that clears up quick.

Things were no fun here in the armpit of America. Got stuck on a roof around noon for 1.5 hrs of pruning this giant ornamental cherry. A "brisk" 97deg w/97% humidity. I think I cleaned the custy's gutters w/the sweat pouring off me....

For as yet unidentified reasons, our power went down from about 3pm to 8pm...I suspect too much demand for available supply.

Set up the WEN genny right away, as it was 106 or so outside, though only 80ish inside...refrigerator and a couple of fans up and operational in short order.

I do like that little generator:).

After-action report :). Apparently the local power grid had no issues with meeting demand. It was the recent winter cold of Texas, in reverse...system wide stability issues, based on assumptions of weather parameters that no longer are accurate.

Overheated equipment shut downs, not widespread, but scattered all over.

Today we had another blip, but it was back on line before I could even get the generator fired up.

Today I was wearing Pfanners, wool socks, thermal shirt, work shirt, light fleece, fleece vest, neck buff, head buff and gloves, was just about warm enough. Breeze had snow in it somewhere.
I was thinking of you lot today and of the days I slogged in heat and humidity, and I confess to a wee momentary smug smile.

Today I was wearing Pfanners, wool socks, thermal shirt, work shirt, light fleece, fleece vest, neck buff, head buff and gloves, was just about warm enough. Breeze had snow in it somewhere.
I was thinking of you lot today and of the days I slogged in heat and humidity, and I confess to a wee momentary smug smile.
Pics or it didn't happen. 20210104_143551.jpg
I want to see your version of winter.

That's an Ingmar Bergman looking shot^

hot and humid on the coast, maybe 90 today. Really feeling for you PNW folks, be careful out there.

Have you had any smoke from the 3 big fires, B? I suspect you will when the wind changes. Those 3 fires, all in the northern most part of California are scary big and grew extremely fast. The temps up there have been over 110 for several days and enough wind to accelerate the spread. 2 are mostly forest service land but the one near Shasta Lake (which is at alarming record lows) is in populated areas, bordering I-5 which was shut down at one point. I know that all 3 fires have had structures lost and thousands of people evacuated. And it's only July 1st.:cry:

Not much smoke, Terri. What we have had was from a fire east of us on the other side of the Cascades, on the Warm Springs rez.

I am not looking forward to fire season at all. Gun shy, after last years' experience.

Back