What Are You Drinking Tonight?

This stuff... 20240103_222011.jpg

Redbull winter edition Pear Cinnamon. Very tasty. No alcohol tonight, it's snowing and we're expecting a decent storm, so I'm on plow duty.

If I don't get to plow tonight, I'm gonna drink enough to float a battleship tomorrow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMG_20240104_155251692.jpg

I've been impressed with the winter selection from these guys. This one's supposed to be like their Mad Elf ale, but without any additives. They get the fruit and spice from the malt and yeast. They're all strong. So far this is the weakest of the set @ 8.2% alcohol.

Are you drinking out of the shoe, drinking whole you drive, or are you literally running to the liquor store?

Pssst, Pat, this is the drinking thread...

Is this because you is knurd currently? View attachment 135098
I have a doctor friend, and he recommends once a week on Fridays to relieve stress and improve well-being to consume 300, preferably 350 grams of cognac. If we compare it with this scale (the penultimate mark from the bottom), then it is quite dangerous. ) However, this scale is not suitable for Russians. 0.5L are considered to be just the beginning of fun for us)

Last edited:
After the argument, or should I say berating from my wife yesterday, I'll be drinking anything that can hold a flame for today.

I went out for firewood and discovered a package from @stig...

IMG_20240106_210840406.jpg

Thank you stig! This is quite good. I can taste the family resemblance with Jepson's Malört, but this is way more complex. I'll have to spend some time with it to try to tease out the flavors I'm getting(and I'll translate the label later), but cherry, cedar, and camphor is what comes immediately to mind. The bitterness is also a bit more restrained than the Jepson's, which has the flavor of grapefruit skins and bitter. Pretty one note. This is the single malt to Jepson's column still grain if you get the comparison. Layers of flavor vs simple flavor.

Thanks again stig. I'm gonna drink this slowly so it lasts awhile. Aside from the Jepson's which is very new to my area, this is a unique spirit around here, and unlike anything else I've had :^)

Gosh, reading that review you'd think @stig would have distilled it. Haha.

Stig I might be heading your way in the spring... daughter is studying abroad for the spring semester in Copenhagen.

This stuff tonight... 20240113_152752.jpg
Had to pose the bottle. May be the only photo of this stuff in a cold climate lol. For my Amigos Norte, it's pronounced "War-E-Toes"

But wait, there's more! 20240113_152911.jpg
P.S. I hate tequila. This is very good tequila. I still hate it. That said, I like Tamarind. The two should work OK. I'll report back once the Mexican soda is cold... Oh, and more Tom Sawyer cat... 20240113_152921.jpg 20240113_152933.jpg
Man this phones camera sucks...

Jarritos are sweet! Good for soda though. Have you had any aged tequila? They're pretty good imo. I only get añejo tequila. Tres Generaciones and 1800 are both quite good, and of course Patrón is very fine.

To reiterate. I hate tequila. My wife drinks it like water, that is till I'm holding her hair back. I'm a spiced rum guy. Haven't had much opportunity to explore the finer points of that likker though. The Kraken is OK, but anything that high proof isn't very conducive to sipping in my opinion. Used to really like Calico Jack, which is kinda sweet, but for a long time was only a ten spot for a fifth.

To be fair, most folks in my area have no class or culture when it comes to booze. They think craft beers are sophisticated. The majority of people that drink around here follow a similar philosophy to me, which my wife and I call "Fire for Effect"

I'm drinking the stuff because my truck is out of gas and my wife won't be home til late. And I'm bored.

I was just thinking about aging spirits, and how an añejo tequila is still extremely young by scotch standards. It's the aging environment. Warmer places age faster. Also, every spirit has an optimal age, and it isn't always the oldest.

That got me thinking about Highland Park whisky. 12yr was the best it got. I have an unopened bottle of Highland Park 25yr. It's from the old distill master, and I got it way cheaper than the aging would suggest(legitimately imo). I wonder if it's worth real money these days? It's inferior to the old 12yr, but it definitely isn't made anymore, and the lengthy aging carries some cachet. A very quick search is showing >$1k/bottle. Dunno if that's exactly what I have, but maybe. I'll have to look more. I'm pretty sure I could get way more for it than it's worth to me. Might be some easy money.

realtime edit:
You should try Pussers rum. ~$22/bottle, and *very* nice. It isn't spiced, but it's a very nice complex and flavorful rum. It's a bargain in the spirits world imo. You won't get much better for that kind of money.

An update on my tamarind and tequila adventure. 10/10 would recommend. The flavors complement each other nicely. Immediately made me think margarita.
I took it a step further and added some of this download (3).jpeg

Most of the tamarind I consume is in the form of various Mexican candies, which typically include chilli.

The three Ts together are proving dangerously tasty.

Back