What Are You Drinking Tonight?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMG_20231006_133738909.jpg

The boss' daughter's boyfriend is Greek, and when I was trimming the pin oak, we got to talking about Greek stuff; espeically related to trees. Tears of Chios, which I have, and retsina, which I've heard about, but never got to try. He said he'd get me a couple bottles, and when I got back from a job today, they were sitting on my desk. It's a wine resinated with pine pitch. It's pretty good, and milder than I thought it would be. Tastes like a dry white wine with a bit of a bitter herbal backbone. Pretty nice :^)

the-famous-grouse-bottle.png

I swear this stuff tastes "grainier" every year. Used to be a nice generic whisky when I didn't want something complicated, or wasn't sure what I wanted. I might have to bail on the brand. Just cracked a 1.75L bottle, so I have a ways to go before I get to it's replacement :^D

Warm night. It's in the 50s. Good night for a Swedish candle and some Powers Irish...

IMG_20231215_163255266.jpg

I wish the skies were more crystalline, but then it would be cold, right?

An ersatz glögg. I've had this sitting around forever. It "expired" in 2018, but still tastes good. I nuked it in the microwave to heat it.

IMG_20231219_213711785.jpg

Non alcoholic? Das Phuk? Are you OK friend?

I want you to know that we are here for you, we care, we love you, and only want you to be happy. And drunk.

WTF are you doing?

Fire for Effect!

I wanted to try it straight. It's pretty sweet. Not sure I'd want to even mix alcohol in it. It would be a good starter with a brandy followup.

I'm not a big fan of sweet alcohol. Mixed drinks are limited to G&T in the summer, and Irish cream in coffee in the winter. I'll occasionally do a sweet port or sherry in the winter. Otherwise, the sweetest I usually go is cognac/brandy, or a port cask finished whisky.

Yea, it's a favorite for sure. It's pretty widely available, but I'm not sure what it costs anymore. I got this bottle awhile ago. All malts skyrocketed in price when they became the new hotness. I don't drink as much as I used to. Save it more as a treat. I had switched to rye, then everyone else decided that was the cool new whiskey, and those prices shot up. Can't win... :^/

At least Salmiakki snaps is still reasonably priced.
Has that bottle landed yet?

At least Salmiakki snaps is still reasonably priced.
Has that bottle landed yet?
It has not. I don't know the quality of Danish post. Sweden was pretty quick. The UK leaves a bit to be desired. Not sure how good ours is for transatlantic. It's been awhile since I shipped overseas.

Drinking my new whiskey. They did a fine job with it...

IMG_20231223_125620271.jpg

I almost rejected the bottle due to football branding. I don't watch, support, or endorse football. The money wasted on grown men chasing a ball around like dogs would be better spent elsewhere. The whiskey is what counts though, and it's very good.

Here's the label on the other bottle I bought. Haven't tried it yet, but it's 100% MD made...

IMG_20231223_103955135.jpg

Post is always behind around x-mas.
But I sent a package to California a week after your snaps went out, and it is already there.

16486789939230.png

It's pretty good for ~$20/bottle. My goto, Asbach hasn't been seen in awhile, so I picked this up. I'm not a huge brandy/cognac fan. I like it, but I find it uninteresting. They're all basically same, and I don't find more expensive brands/ages worth the premium. I was on a brief kick trying to see how cheap I could go, and still have something drinkable. You can go surprisingly cheap. A $10 bottle isn't what I'd necessarily call enjoyable, but it's drinkable, and better than a $10 bottle of whiskey for sure. I still need to explore the bargain basement a bit more, but $20-$25 seems to be the sweet spot for quality vs value.

Hot buttered rum. No pics cause it doesn't look like anything, but it tastes pretty good. It's a mix I got from aldi a couple years ago. I always forget I have it is why I still have it. It's spices and brown sugar. Mix that with hot water, butter, and rum. I used Diplomatico, which I don't care for, but it's good for something like this. Too sweet on it's own.

Hot buttered rum. No pics cause it doesn't look like anything, but it tastes pretty good. It's a mix I got from aldi a couple years ago. I always forget I have it is why I still have it. It's spices and brown sugar. Mix that with hot water, butter, and rum. I used Diplomatico, which I don't care for, but it's good for something like this. Too sweet on it's own.
It does sound too sweet, but that's okay.

Back