Tulip Poplar

mccauleytree

TreeHouser
Hey guys this tree is in one of our customers back yards. We have been working there for the past 2 weeks and have taken out about 40 trees, this tree was originally suppose to stay but I noticed this pretty big cavity in it. The crown is in great shape not one bit of dead wood. After we finish up the work he is going to get his entire yard regraded and seeded wanted to make a decision on this tree before then. So what do you guys think? Remove it or let it stand? I want to see it stay it really is a nice tree but the homeowner is scared to death of it. The picture with the stick shows how far it can be pushed in.
192FE094-9A25-42BA-B320-66E3B4DF2CF0.jpeg 2E4A8F99-743D-43B6-9E28-F7D27917BF19-1.jpeg 8CA8036D-9CF1-447B-8F5A-A5C44E7EFB4B.jpeg FA0ECAF3-AC55-49BA-B995-5452C0B527C8.jpeg 915D61AB-6B9C-406D-B476-E9E9EE4684E4.jpeg

I'd be talking him into keeping it. Sure looks fine enough. Pretty sturdy tree from what I have read about it. Looks like it is walling that wound in just peachy. The dude that owns the place will probably fall over before that tree does by my reckoning. Targets?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
LET IT STAND.

Just what I wanted to hear!

I'd be talking him into keeping it. Sure looks fine enough. Pretty sturdy tree from what I have read about it. Looks like it is walling that wound in just peachy. The dude that owns the place will probably fall over before that tree does by my reckoning. Targets?

Glad you are on the same page as me, I did not see any reason to take the tree down. No targets really, just a couple other trees. Not near the house or anything else.

its got to be every bit of 110 feet. You are right they get pretty big, most of the them are tall, straight, and have a ton of trunk wood.

An opportunity for a quick question, do poplars have some dangerous element to them when climbing, I have heard that the limbs are subject to easy breakage, compared to most trees of equivalent size? I'll be up in one tomorrow, and no previous experience with them. Thanks.

Yes jay, the small wood is weak. Stay on bigger wood and you are more then fine. You can get wild on the lowering too. The stuff is light as heck.

I'll elaborate a little. I wouldn't dare tie in on 3-4" wood. Especially not loading it sideways. Some guys will. I've seen tulip poplar act up, especially during dry months. As a result, I'm a little conservative on my TIPs. Rigging however, I take some half inch line and put big limbs on it.

I'd say let it stand, but if he's grading his yard and bringing in soil and what not, he's probably gonna end up killing the tree anyway with compaction. I was just working on a property yesterday where a guy did that and every tree boarding his new yard is starting to die off.

Its not bad to work with Jay, the little stuff is brittle though. Has a funky smell to it. The tree will stay, no equipment will be going near it when they regrade the yard. I am glad he decided to keep it.

2 weeks, 40 trees? Sounds like quite the job!

2 weeks, 40 trees? Sounds like quite the job!

Some were 12-15'' trees so we could just grapple them up with the mini and send them through the chipper! The rest were actually pretty decent size, luckily we could drop a lot of them whole, only about 10 had to be climbed and rigged.

You guys sound like you are doing well this year. I'm getting word from different sources on the main line and Chester county that work has been spotty so far.

You guys sound like you are doing well this year. I'm getting word from different sources on the main line and Chester county that work has been spotty so far.

We are actually doing very well this year (knock on wood) we are actually booked almost a month out right now. I hope it continues like this. :D

Back