Tulip Poplar

Warmer climate in Edland.
You can grow Holm oak and stuff like that, which will die here.

Those things will get huge any where .

Not here, they won't.

Biggest one I've seen was 3 feet in diameter.
Well yeah but 3 feet is not what one would consider a pecker pole .

Supposidly tulip poplar is the largest hardwood variety in North America .I think North Carolina has the record ,7 feet in diameter and 150 feet tall .

The largest I've ever seen was around 4 feet and a hundred tall .

Are we talking Lirodendron tulipifera here? Just to avoid any cross channel confusion.

If so I have never even seen on bigger than about 40' tall, not very common in the UK.

Yeah same stuff .

Interesting trivia about this tree .Supposidely when the early settlements were made in this country depending on where the tulip or yellow polar abounded .Daniel Boone supposidley hollowed out a yellow poplar into a digout canoe about 60 feet long .On that he certainly must have a had a gaggle of paddlers to move that monstrosity .

George Washington was supposed to have planted a bunch of tulip at his estate ,Mt Vernon .These are reported to be rather large at this time .

Warmer climate in Edland.
You can grow Holm oak and stuff like that, which will die here.

Quite a lot of holm oaks died in edland recently, scummy horrible things they were too, about as nasty as your beech.

Quite a lot of holm oaks died in edland recently, scummy horrible things they were too, about as nasty as your beech.

I think you and me were responsible recently for the deaths of some enormous Holm Oak ;)

The Lirodendron I felled was over 130' high. It was a perfect specimen apart from a large cavity at 30' up the stem.

Wow, certainly never seen one that size. I did fell one a couple of years ago, about 25' tall and 10" diameter. Not very impressive I know, but the client only planted it a year previously, they flew out to Holland to choose it personally. It cost them £12k, they planted it in a big pit in a heavy clay soil, and watered it to death. Someone had told them they needed lots of water, so they put a hose on it and left it running for 8 months. Talk about killing with kindness. They couldn't watch when I felled it and stuffed it in the chipper.

Well yeah but 3 feet is not what one would consider a pecker pole .

Supposidly tulip poplar is the largest hardwood variety in North America .I think North Carolina has the record ,7 feet in diameter and 150 feet tall .

The largest I've ever seen was around 4 feet and a hundred tall .

Pulled these out of archive to share again:

FWIW: Tulip Poplars get fairly tall here. Here's some pix of the second(?) tallest poplar in Maryland. If memory serves, it was measured at 165 ft. where the tallest is 168 ft., in Maryland.
A few arborist got together last year (January 15) to rec climb the tree in Patapsco State Park - near Baltimore. The lowest branch was 80 ft. up

An impressive tree for the Eastern US -- click on the thumbnails to see full-size:

All photo's were taken by Patrick (Pigwot @ TreeHouse)

The last pic is a forty foot limb walk at 120 ft up = COOL, IMO! :)

Not just cool, frigging excellent!!

That is one rec climb I would have loved to join.

We are having our once a year gettogether of pros and rec climbing instructors next weekend.
We'll be playing in one of the largest noble firs in the country and a large multistemmed beech.
Pictures will follow:)

Its not bad to work with Jay, the little stuff is brittle though. Has a funky smell to it. The tree will stay, no equipment will be going near it when they regrade the yard. I am glad he decided to keep it.

Sell him an overall pre-construction tree protection plan and long-term health plan.

By no equipment going near it, what do you mean? Dirt workers are notorious for thinking that they aren't going near it when they don't bang the trunk with their equipment, forgetting there are roots.

Silly me only brought a 150 ft rope, thinkng we'd have a branch low enough to then re-pitch... I had to borrow a 200' to get into that tree. It was a nice hike in and a great climb. We need more fun climbs like that.

Al, they do get big in many places. However, of the many states I've covered in my travels, southeast PA grows monsters that are hard to find elsewhere.

Yes ,that's a documented fact .I've heard it explained it has something to do with the sunlight coming off the eastern side of the hills .

In the days of sailing ships huge oaks were cut for the masts of square riggers often over 100 feet of clear log which was unusual even in those days .These things were floated to Boston ,Philadelphia or New York naval ship yard .Of course this being in the days of wooden ships and iron men .

Back