Tree Men Be Here

You're right Butch, I didn't see it at first. They are working in the back yard.

Just noticed the lovely stubs on the cuts in the tree as well. Why do people do that? A guy I no longer work for that has been in the business over 15 years still leaves 4" stubs on every single cut. There's always a pile of 'discards' beside the chipper of pieces that won't go through due to the stubs. I saw him on a job a week ago, he's gotten a lot worse since I quit working for him over a year ago.

I'm so with you Brian. I cannot stand when my co workers wont cut flush against the trunk on a take down. Nothing worse than tripping over 4-5" long stubs after they cut. If anything, make it worth bending over and picking up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most of the stubs below him were left from the home improvement crews early attempts at taking the tree down yesterday.

Day Two:

MountainManTreeWorker.png
Amazing this guy has lived this long without a helmet:O:O

Willard.

brendonv;I'm more worried about the homeowner. Who in their right mind would think that's the way to do it, and continue to watch them do so?........A CHEAP BASTARTD OF COURSE

Let 'em dig their own grave. I climbed for someone on a dozen occasions, I finally came to reality I am just helping them get more work.

They were scetchy, watched them almost cut each other apart on numerous occasions.
BEEN HERE, WATCHED THE 2 IDIOTS IN THE RENTAL LIFT, THEY COULDNT EVEN CONTROL THE SAW, HIT THE RAIL SEVERAL TIMES, WHILE I WAS IN THE TREE.....LAST 1 OF THOSE I DID

That's the main reason I hate just climbing, all you do is make someone else who is incapable look good.[/QUOTE]

I guarantee you there are more helmet-less treeguys out there than the other way around.

True. I've always worn a helmet, but it's never saved my life. At most, it saved me from a bump on the head or three, but nothing serious. If I had to make a guess, I'd say about 10% of the tree guys I see wear helmets.

I don't think I've ever seen actual treework done up here without everyone wearing helmets. I think customers up here would be very disturbed to not see proper ppe being used.

I don't think I've ever seen actual treework done up here without everyone wearing helmets. I think customers up here would be very disturbed to not see proper ppe being used.

You're fortunate to have such customers.

I try to market my self/ company as very safe and dependable.

Some people just want cheap and/ or don't know any better. "They're professionals".

A few houses down from me, someone was cutting a ~5" limb from an oak tree. Probably about 20' up. Apparently, the limb pinched the blade of the pole saw. It's been there for 2 days now.

I wonder how long it will stay up there???

True. I've always worn a helmet, but it's never saved my life. At most, it saved me from a bump on the head or three, but nothing serious. If I had to make a guess, I'd say about 10% of the tree guys I see wear helmets.
I have always worn a helmet. I remember years ago I was hit on the helmet 2 times. One was a widow maker that hit me while I was bent over in the back cut, hit my helmet so hard that it drove my head into the ground. I was stunned for a minute and was picking moss out of my mouth and bleeding from a bit tongue.
The 2nd time I was up removing a top from an old poplar ,about a 100 lb piece of deadwood broke away from about 10 ft up and glanced off my helmet. Hit so hard it knocked a filling out of my teeth.
I can guarentee you I wouldn't be sitting here today writing this if I didn't have a helmet on in those 2 occassions. Let alone have any marbles left to think with.

Willard.

Good post Willard.
Mine has never saved my life but I have had enough stuff come down around me to realize how foolish it is to not wear one

Good post Willard.
Mine has never saved my life but I have had enough stuff come down around me to realize how foolish it is to not wear one
Thanks Willy. I'll admit I have run saws without legprotecton , a cut wouldn't be nice. Have worked at times with no eye protection, not nice to lose an eye. But when I think about my skull being as hard as an egg shell compared to the hardness and weight of a tree part I get a real uneasy feeling.

Willard.

And I occasionally skip a hard hat with little stuff, often make chainsaw cuts without chaps and skip glasses sometimes but my crew is not allowed to. Hardhat rarely gets left. Never have cut a pair of chaps or boots or anything, i'm am always concsious of getting bit when running a saw

Remember this pic I posted not so long ago? I don't know if a hardhat would save you if this chunk had hit you on the head, but I KNOW it would kill you without.

I always wear a helmet climbing, or a hardhat anytime I'm in the woods, felling or not. I've seen, heard of, or experienced myself too many close calls to do otherwise. I feel nekkid without one.

Attachments

• ZZ hazard tree 020.jpg
    ZZ hazard tree 020.jpg
    733.6 KB · Views: 5
One of my former fellow loggers in the state forest broke his arm just before x-mas.
He was hit by a 4" thich 15 foot long dry ash branch while falling a tree.The tree was being pulled over, next to a road, so there was two other guys present.
The branch hit him on the helmet, tagged his shoulder and snapped clear through his arm

Imagine what it would have done to his head if he hadn't been using a hardhat.

During my time in the woods, I have cracked one helmet and broken the suspension on two.
Really nasty feeling waking up next to a fallen tree and wondering where you are.
Or for that matter, who you are:D

There are lots of climbers who don't wear helmets, but only because they haven't been doing it long enough to learn better. I didn't start wearing a helmet until I went blind in 1 eye for 2 days and had amnesia for a week. Stupid way to learn.

Back