Tree Men Be Here

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
tntree: The 'climber' looked a good bit more than nervous.

I'm curious to see how far they got when I go past in the morning.
With an update picture, of course...

THAT is awesome! The best jackleg picture I've ever seen... ever!

The title of this thread...

I thought it was gonna be another "TreeHouse Rocks" thread... :|:

As well it outta beeee. :rockon:

Here's a recent one by our local hack. Notice the top job he did on the branches to the left a couple years back.

Attachments

• DSC00012.jpg
    DSC00012.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 9
tntree: The 'climber' looked a good bit more than nervous.

I'm curious to see how far they got when I go past in the morning.
With an update picture, of course...

Hopefully tomorrows picture isn't taken from your local newspaper. Maybe they'll wise up and quit before something ugly happens.

All American Steve broke his hand by putting a ladder on a roof like that. The roof was slippery with moss and surprise, the ladder fell, as did Steve. Being a rational person Steve spent the next couple of years trying to sue the owners for negligence. When I met him is hand turned at an unnatural angle. He always carried a loaded gun, despite telling me that he wasn't sure he could fire one anymore in his twisted right hand. When Steve left town he tried repeatedly to sell me his 20' ladder.

I'm more worried about the homeowner. Who in their right mind would think that's the way to do it, and continue to watch them do so?

Let 'em dig their own grave. I climbed for someone on a dozen occasions, I finally came to reality I am just helping them get more work. They were scetchy, watched them almost cut each other apart on numerous occasions.

That's the main reason I hate just climbing, all you do is make someone else who is incapable look good.

Yep- and when the chit hits the fan, you're the only one with the insurance to sue... leaving you without a seat when the music stops.

I'm more worried about the homeowner. Who in their right mind would think that's the way to do it, and continue to watch them do so?

Ohhhhh let's see.....
I think I have lost count of how many HOs have offered me a ladder, back hoe, loader and some goofy idea of a saw and rope to aid me in my work :roll:
Once they see what I can do on rope and with rigging, they are better educated :)
Often times by describing the dangers of certain methods, the HO is actually at better ease of mind over the whole operation, knowing you will minimize the risk :)

Walked up the road this evening and it appears they did not get much more down since the earlier photo.
We'll see what transpires tomorrow, as I'll be working in the neighborhood.

A few yrs back a retired school principle called me for a estimate to remove a 30ft tall X wide maple , quick job right near the curb I quoted $300 and I would leave him the blocks for firewood with cleanup. Stump left in the ground.
He thought that was too much and would do it himself. [ why is it school teachers and cops are the cheapest customers?]. Next day he falls from his ladder and the ambulance takes him to the hospital with a shattered vertebrae and punctured lung.
What can I say?

Willard.

Helping other tree guys out where ever they fall on the ladder of skill, has always benefitted me.

All American Steve broke his hand by putting a ladder on a roof like that. The roof was slippery with moss and surprise, the ladder fell, as did Steve. Being a rational person Steve spent the next couple of years trying to sue the owners for negligence. When I met him is hand turned at an unnatural angle. He always carried a loaded gun, despite telling me that he wasn't sure he could fire one anymore in his twisted right hand. When Steve left town he tried repeatedly to sell me his 20' ladder.

I was thinking "what about all american steve" when you said that!

Willard, I had a customer call me a while back and tell me about one of his fellow engineers at Hewlett Packard falling while doing his own tree work. In an attempt to save money, he ended up breaking his neck and is now paralyzed.

Willard, I had a customer call me a while back and tell me about one of his fellow engineers at Hewlett Packard falling while doing his own tree work. In an attempt to save money, he ended up breaking his neck and is now paralyzed.
That's too bad.
Similar to a estimate I gave to a senior lady a few year ago. She wanted her big old maple cabled and braced due to a large split. I took the time and explained everything thats needed to be done and gave her a fair price. After she talked my ear off for an hour she then says "My son is an engineer and he can do it". So I says to her "Well if your son is an engineer then you don't need me".
A few weeks later I drive by and see half of the big maple laying on her lawn and her $200,000 a yr son is busting his ass hauling it away in his pickup. She looks at me and I give her a big smile and a wave.

Willard.

You can't really blame anyone for trying to copy what they saw being done in an old Buster Keaton movie. Everyone knows that he never quite got the credit that he deserved.

Day Two:
Headed out this fine day to find the "Discount Tree Service" on the site, with their truck proudly advertising their penchant for "Topping" trees:

DayTwo.png

The Home Improvement fellows get to live another day, though they don't get a lesson on proper use of PPE:

MountainManTreeWorker.png

Amazing that the old guy would climb that tree and leave the bucket truck parked in the driveway. I guess I'm too lazy, but I'm not climbing anything any more if there's bucket access.

Back