Tree felling vids

My last post on this particular matter will say this. And I don't enjoy saying this to my friends... If anyone wo chooses to ignore murph jumping on people, be sure to ignore people jumping on Murph. I'll call that crap right out.

Both nice, Bonner and Willie.

How in the heck do you find time to work, setup the cameras, record it all, fold up the show, do an estimate or two, go home, shower, eat, take messages and on the top of it all do the video editing?????

It took me years to do what you guys are doing today. All back when the technology to do so was a lot more expensive, and not near as high tech. Some good vids and inspiring images are coming of it all.

It's great!!!

Thanks Jer!

Most Jobs I just plop the camera down and record. Its a helmet cam so I cant check the composition, alot of the shots dont work out as I am guessing at best... Some however work out pretty good, and I really enjoy the editing. I did just get one of those large bendy tripod deals which makes the framing a bit more consistent. That video was the first time I used it.

Another downside is my camera requires my laptop to select timelapse vs video so I have to pick before I leave the house...

My last post on this particular matter will say this. And I don't enjoy saying this to my friends... If anyone wo chooses to ignore murph jumping on people, be sure to ignore people jumping on Murph. I'll call that crap right out.
That guy was extremely rude and slanderous for no good reason arbtalk... All I did was ask his boss if he got a raise for being so good at fence repair.. LOL...

Anymore I much prefer the house... I feel like I contribute and get something out of this place. It seems that most of the time I am asking Meg whats going on on the tv as I am not paying any attention.

When my Grandson's here ... there ain't no tv or net!!!

I think most people can appreciate that... I love my grandpa and all but I sure wish at least one of them had been a cool dude like you! imagine the treeman I coulda been then!

Maybe I'm reading this wrong. But it would seem you don't mind typing whatever comes across your mind, neither do I. So you can think what you will about that. I sure as hell wasn't jumping on anyone, you'd know it if I was.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong. But it would seem you don't mind typing whatever comes across your mind, neither do I. So you can think what you will about that. I sure as hell wasn't jumping on anyone, you'd know it if I was.

My comment was across the board based on a variety of statements. Wasn't aimed at one person.

I don't ever recall Squish jumping in anyone at the forum, more the consummate mild mannered. Some bar room stories though, it might have been during a discussion about dentistry.

My comment was across the board based on a variety of statements. Wasn't aimed at one person.

No worries Tuck.. it was all happy endings...
Even though I acted a bit rough on benn, he actually thanked me on treebuzz for a more detailed critique of his saw handling, with very practical suggestions for improving...

I was surprised that everyone rubber stamped that video with what I consider serious and needlessly unsafe practices..

her's the post from TB:might piss people off for sounding preachy, BUT its spot on..

Look at the negative blocking cuts from a safety perspective:

7:22, you cut one handing while pushing with the second hand, a clear violation of ansi.. HOWEVER no big deal IMO, becasue your arm and body were well away from any potential kickback, as you were positioned sideways to the cut..

at 7:48.. you back chain the cut leaving no potential for kickback.. and you stop the cut, push a little to get the piece leaning, then finish the cut with both hands on the saw.. NICE!..

Its the cut at 8:04 that's the problem.. You cut one handed with your body in the kickback zone, push with the left hand, then as you finish the cut you pull the saw back towards your left arm, as you finish the pushing motion. Arm and saw are headed for each other!.. That's the kind of cut that you can probably get away with for an entire career.. BUT its still unnecessarily dangerous. The risk may be low percentage wise, but the cost is so great, its just not worth it!.

With good cutting technique, you should be able to stop the saw and push with both hands.. Even a slight bypass in the face will cause the hinge to seize, in which case you need to cut and push at the same time.. Which gets back to fundamentals.. making the top cut of the notch first will prevent bypassing the face cuts, which is all too common when working from the hooks, even amongst really good climbers.

FUNDAMENTALS... get your falling cuts perfect on the ground.. top cut first.. NO BYPASS in the face.. then when you need to make a good cut from the hooks or bucket, you know you got it.. you can trust your life to it!

And we can get into the floating block vs hand pull and wedges.. to me the floating block is a no-brainer.. Doesn't take long to set up and you don't need to pound wedges and watch your ground man struggle.. With the added pulling power and a good shallow/narrow notch you'd have cleared the fence on that drop. Setting up a FB is sure a lot faster than fixing a fence.

When you get to using them with machine power, they become invaluable! Check this drop.. NO WAY would that have worked without a monster hinge and a floating block to dial in the direction of pull.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p04sxvuZu7E

I only thanked you so you would shut up :) whenever I need advice I will ask either Reg or Jerry or the many other guys i respect around the world thanks.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o4fWN6VvgKQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Even though I acted a bit rough on benn, he actually thanked me on treebuzz for a more detailed critique of his saw handling, with very practical suggestions for improving...

This from the guy who can turn a simple face cut into a long, drawn out, "lets recut it over and over again" thing.

You teaching chainsaw skills to someone is like me teaching a Chinese octogenarian to use chopsticks:lol:

We've been through this before, but really Daniel, learn to sharpen your chain and make a face in TWO ( Not 15) cuts before you do the internet guru thing!

This from the guy who can turn a simple face cut into a long, drawn out, "lets recut it over and over again" thing.

You teaching chainsaw skills to someone is like me teaching a Chinese octogenarian to use chopsticks:lol:

We've been through this before, but really Daniel, learn to sharpen your chain and make a face in TWO ( Not 15) cuts before you do the internet guru thing!

Believe it or not Stig, I AM doing some things with a saw that would blow your mind...

Back