Throwline - Any Reason To Get Something Other Than Dynaglide?

I am one of the few people that loves the bonner double bag tarp. I thjnk they discontinued it though. They were bassically giving them away for free at the end of the run. I love mine. I love how flat it lays in my bag. I like flaking onto the tarp as opposed to the cube. It seems to stay tangle free.

I’ve considered the tarp or the Edelrid Falter, but never pulled the trigger.

We have used the Edelrid for years.

Got tired of Falteimers collapsing ( And yes, we have had both the cheapish copies and the real Mccoy) and switched over.

It is the most foolproof solution, I've found.

2.2 Zing-it for me. Stein cubes.

A guy I worked with used butterfly cages. I think $10 at Walmart. They are about the size of a five gallon bucket but squish flat( with no butterflies inside) for storage and they lasted about a year with daily climbing.

Stig,
That pushed me over the edge, I am ordering the Edelrid.

I can see where the buckets would work well for residential tree work.

I do like the cubes for those remote, hike-in, rec climbs, as they fit in the backpack so well.
I missed the boat on the Bonner Tarp, but have enough material laying around here I could likely make one up, to try it out.

I liked the Edelrids, but i am phasing them out.
Most guys that try to help close them screw them up. Sometimes i wish people wont help, but alas. .....
Both of mine have twisted frames now. Back to cubes where the lads might have a 50/50 chance of opening or closing them. :dontknow:
When i go back to solo closer to retirement, ill replace them.

I use 2 popcorn buckets, one smaller (with the backup line) to fit in the main one. I didn't want to spend the money on that, but I'd like something more convenient. The biggest downside is if you give a little kick in it or if a limb touches it, the bucket comes alive and spits the throwline on the ground.

Yesterday I discovered an other downside of the popcorn bucket.
Tuesday I filled my van with the dustier load of chips since a long time. The sides are lined with some tarps, but the dust went everywhere, like almost no color left on my gear, even the closed cab was dusty. The throwline's bucket got a good amount of this crap and I tried to clean it with the blower like the rest of the van.
Well that wasn't a so bright idea, as it spinned the throwline into a bun !:|:

Who can just SEE that happening :lol:
Skwerl and I must be arbo twins....3 gallon bucket. I have two throwlines in it, separated by a flat round bit of soft vinyl...and that's where I store my Big Shot head and a little bag with throw weights in it. Lid on top

Dynaglide for the win here.

Several weights of different sizes are useful.

I occasionally used a 20oz, even, to manipulate, after an initial throw with a lighter bag.

Sometimes, a steel biner to connect to the bag for extra weight, open crotches.

Mostly, 12oz for most things, girth- hitched, with a tied eye.

Ymmv.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I need more weights. That was part of what I had in mind when I made this thread. I have two weights, and both are 14oz. I want to get 10oz & 12oz also.

10oz is my go to...have 12's as well.
NEVER travel with just one throw line or weight...

A spare line with its weight is so handy when you get the main one stuck around a small limb or in a tight crotch, a common occurrence. It saves the day literally.
You can always try to break the line to free it (good luck with dyneema), but that doesn't mean that the weight can fall back on the ground each time. So, an other one allows you to keep going.
If both become stuck, well...

I keep a different sized weight on the standing end of my line, for manipulating the near side of the line, if needed, as well as a back-up weight.

10 oz is my most common, though if it is open-crotch and a really high placement I'll use an 8 oz, as F=MA. the same maximumForce applied by my big shot on a smaller Mass provides a greater Acceleration, thus achieving those last few feet in elevation. Only sometimes will it not come down when I snag that patch of rough bark on the unseen portion of the tree. Now for rough-barked trees I'll go to a 14 to 16 oz, so it's more likely to make it down the far side.

I used Zing it 2.2 and have a couple of lines, always in Falteimer cubes. Did have 3. It left one in a guy truck and it was never seen again. I reckon he liked it so much better than his stick wrapped line that he was willing to never speak to me again and keep the cube.

As for the bigshot on different poles... I would be careful: a friend of mine I used to contract with disappeared off the grid for a while. Turns out he was on a job back in the UK. Big shot head came off the none standard pole when it was at full stretch. The head hit him in the skull and fractured it very badly. He was put in an induced coma for quite some time To allow the swelling to subside. He made a full recovery and is back climbing again but had headaches for a long time. He couldn’t remember the incident and had amnesia for about 6 months.

Can't figure how that could happen.?.?.

A trigger for the big shot, and an 8-12' pole are nice.
An $8 horse panic-snap is the cheapest way to go, to my knowledge.

I never did find out the brand of pole or what actually happened. He could t remember what happened. Pole may have snapped? The head definitely came off though and imagine the recoil of the head when the elastics are at full extension. Ouch, ya Mo-fo!

I haven't used my BS in years, hand-throwing or APTA.

I always wear glasses when loading... Usually a screen or visor on the helmet, too.

Never heard of a BS injury, much less a brain injury.

Back