Throwline - Any Reason To Get Something Other Than Dynaglide?

I would also need that too:lol: if i ever get around to doing my truck bed it'll be added

I need one Apta too.
Two month ago, I wanted to rebuild my 12 years old Bigshot. I was on the cheap at the time, so I made the head, added the commercial slings and put that on my flimsy pole pruner. It was part of my learning time, worked well enough ( shot at 60' for srt access in 100' ashs and poplars), but I never used it since.
The rubber was damaged by the time, so I put a new set on the head and made a 2:1MA and a release system. But with the same setting, it reached only about 45'( different rubber?). So I modified the MA to a 3:1 (easier to operate) and extended a tad the telescopic pole. I was in my home, the pole laying on the floor while I pulled the MA's rope. I suddenly realized how much the pole bowed under the tension. Wow.
Time to chicken a bit!
I had always my helmet for shooting, but I can't see it to protect me if the pole has an "explosive" folding.
I don't want to use it with the pole saw, much stronger but less practical ( have to unscrew the head), so it probably won't have much use in the next years.

I had a pole fail on an early version of one of Jeff Newman’s “Sidewinder” slingshots, the big shot alternative that Tobe Sherrill sued him over to stop production after Sherrill secured his ‘patent’. (How someone can patent a ‘slingshot’ is beyond me with all the prior art out there. It’s ironic that such a court case is considered a “David vs. Goliath” case, as that involved a slingshot of a different nature).

It used an extendable paint pole, which hardly bent at full tension. The issue was the pot-metal fitting the head fit on which suffered from metal fatigue. Luckily as it came apart it glanced off my helmet and hit me in the thick of the left thigh. Left a nasty bruise but luckily no worse. Finished that day with the APTA.
He made me a replacement which uses aluminum poles. Collapsible, and the head folds so the whole is easily stored in a backpack for stealth Rec climbs.

I used Zing it 2.2 and have a couple of lines, always in Falteimer cubes. Did have 3. It left one in a guy truck and it was never seen again. I reckon he liked it so much better than his stick wrapped line that he was willing to never speak to me again and keep the cube.

As for the bigshot on different poles... I would be careful: a friend of mine I used to contract with disappeared off the grid for a while. Turns out he was on a job back in the UK. Big shot head came off the none standard pole when it was at full stretch. The head hit him in the skull and fractured it very badly. He was put in an induced coma for quite some time To allow the swelling to subside. He made a full recovery and is back climbing again but had headaches for a long time. He couldn’t remember the incident and had amnesia for about 6 months.
Most people turn the BigShot around backwards to fire it. Instructions are very clear to have the pouch on the bottom side of the pole but everybody seems to know better.

I haven't used my BS in years, hand-throwing or APTA.

I always wear glasses when loading... Usually a screen or visor on the helmet, too.

Never heard of a BS injury, much less a brain injury.
I've had a throw bag come back at me using a BS. It got stuck in the pouch somehow and didn't go skyward luckily it didn't have much force on the backswing. It missed me but I'll bet a 12oz bag would leave a mark.

Same, I got a shot back. How is that possible is behond me. The brim of my helmet took it but I can say that wasn't a gentle kiss.

I put always the pouch on the under side for clearance with my holding hand, so I'd probably not get hit by the head if that brokes, but by the pole itself jumping backward, sure. I don't want to try.

Im on the Zing It 2.2mm band wagon. I have used everything from coffee cans, folding laundry hampers, and spackle buckets. I stick with the cheap Weaver throw line bags. I have like three of them. I still haven't gotten around to buying a BigShot so I just flake out the appropriate length of line on the ground and let er rip. Im pretty accurate up to about 65 ft and we don't get many trees much taller than that around here. 14 oz is my go to weight seems like anything lighter than that has issues falling down through the rough elm and cottonwood bark Im usually dealing with.

I think I saw a Reg Coats video once where he uses an umbrella to store his throw line. I was telling my guys about it the other day. I may have to pick one of those up and give it a shot.

Bump

I bought some of this to try and like it. I was interested in that it came in a 425 foot spool at 1.9mm. The two I purchased have performed well. I ran them across a bollard to remove the spool memory as I flaked into the cube. Hardly a snarl after that. Has a nice hand. Bleeds a little dye. No biggie.
I need longer hanks for isolating shots at times. Or throwing out from a tree top to retrive a pull line instead of throwing a bag of pull line from over 100 feet.
Capillary throw line by ECW from WesSpur. Nice value. :thumbup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Certainly a good price. Maybe I'll throw some in my next order, and check it out. I still have to try the ZingIt I bought.

Side note... I wonder how dynaglide virtually doubles the tensile strength of every other line? When I first started looking at this stuff, I was wondering if it was a catalog mistake, but I've never seen any number other than 1000#

Like I mentioned previously in another thread or this one, Dynaglide did not really impress me all that much. Tensile strength, I would have to really think or ask Rob if I ever broke it. But I have about broke about every throw line Ive used. The tangle thing made me not use it as much.
Dave Stice, niceguydave, swears by it though. Species maybe?

With Reg's tongue in cheek reference to patents in mind, the throw-line page lead me to the Bucklaunch slingshot head. How did that get by the Sherril slingshot patent? Does that mean the foldable backpack version might be able to go back into production?

I’ve always enjoyed notch’s throw line. I have bought both sizes and tend to match the smaller line with a 10oz bag and the 2.2 line with a 14oz bag. Seemed to birds nest occasionally while coming out of the cube. We have some zing it and I seemed to instantly prefer the notch line over it. The combo price of a throw weight and line for only ~$36 has always been a great deal to me

Taught self to flake line into short ammo box, or even tall one then Big Shot head on top of it.
i put an expanded metal box in under bed on passenger side of 1ton, had total 4 across ammo boxes, handles front, wide face up of short and tall ammo boxes.
Another 1 was for pulleys etc., 2 short boxes = 1 tall. Neat and compact storage, that could easy to see if any box missing, had fold up lock door etc.

Ammo can makes a small target for flaking line, but that would be efficient storage. I'll have to give that some thought.

Completely unrelated, but i use mortar ones for welding rod. They'll hold 2 50lbs cans, and seal them from changing humidity too much

Attachments

• 20220817_185059.jpg
    20220817_185059.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
I have a few .50 cans. The two I use most are for my brushcutter supplies, and one in the office to keep my food away from the mice :^D

Back