Hey! I need help finding something.

flushcut

TreeHouser
I need to find these tags that generally go on buildings to see if they are listing/tilting. They are two independent cards with a bubble level and cross hairs that you glue on the side of a building. I have a tree that I feel is going over but the custy thinks it’s fine and I need to show them proof. Huge money targets at stake, like seven 0’s.

I feel like I've seen them before in a catalog, but can't remember which. Something like this would probably work. Stick it to thin aluminum, then tack it to the tree. Monitor over time.

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Company-Lev-gage-High-Resolution/dp/B072LQW767/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3I49J7A2YG3QW&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ANqw47iwCFOB9jYv_z0bCq049p3gK4lbmaAgZO1Jo1VSPbgxpZ_8k71G2DEUyfsK4UQCyTb_d_V9HFNuNif-H4tMlLaG3LREpF8N5v_rAg4I7EbA5cBEKcF2EQxdOftRUobj2A8XiTvc1tgv4XcKDzWtcBq9q29wWN6siFN4xKEkudSfdItJ2VmKPyIJtt1-nMjgq6xpkKYghi4_GNFqM7rm6NTY62iYRzXpwKDUECA.AeTKAEXlXVrHTKW1-Cz9hEadf06kmWfaNi4wxT7kfkg&dib_tag=se&keywords=tilt+indicator&qid=1708482921&sprefix=tilt+indicator%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I saw those but the ones I’m thinking of are a little more precise.

This! Sounds like someone is about to learn something....
With a seven-eight figure price tag. Yeesh.

Why hire a professional, that you apparently trust, then naysay him?

I wouldn't question your welding, Kyle, I'm an amateur, you do the shit on the daily, and steam is NOT forgiving.

Why hire Rajan, then argue his opinion? Just asinine to my thinking.

Tack a plumb Bob to the trunk. Mark where the point sits, monitor over time. Simple as.
I have thought about that but time may be the enemy. The cards I saw eliminated a lot of variables with restringing a plumb Bob,

With a seven-eight figure price tag. Yeesh.

Why hire a professional, that you apparently trust, then naysay him?

I wouldn't question your welding, Kyle, I'm an amateur, you do the shit on the daily, and steam is NOT forgiving.

Why hire Rajan, then argue his opinion? Just asinine to my thinking.
It’s all good.

Oh duh! Time is always of the essence isn't it? I wonder if Google Street view could be your friend? Replicate a photo with the tree in it and recreate said photo, thus allowing you to observe increased lean?

If a plumbob on the tree itself isn't good enough, I don't know what wouldn't be expedient enough.

Sounds like they have money. It would be easy to hire a surveying company to monitor the tree. Climb the tree and set a couple targets. The surveyors can come out once a month or whatever, and locate them.

If it's going now ask to guy it up so it's under control. Then you can make a mark and pull the line to feel the tension. If you need more than that you can make a mark on the line and then measure deflection to calculate the tension, or serve a comparator over time. Even something as simple as a small lifting weight tied to a prussic will show a different distance to the floor or laser level as more and more weight comes upon it and the cantinary disappears. You can also toss a throwline in the canopy and set a plumb bob and plywood indicator up and see movement that way, even with the guys. Usually when you mention the heaving ground around the thing they wake up, but sometimes they just gotta hit their head on the wall and learn it the hard way. Good luck man, and be careful, those aren't the fun ones.

Sounds like they have money. It would be easy to hire a surveying company to monitor the tree. Climb the tree and set a couple targets. The surveyors can come out once a month or whatever, and locate them.
Yeah I will run that by them but they can be weird. They have several dead and heavily broken down trees over their own targets for bird habitat. This tree threatens the neighbors property.

Are you talking about a bullseye level? Which would go at the top of the building?

Then a post level for the corners of the building?

Last edited:
There are various inclinometers available. I don't know if they are as precise as you would want to adequately indicate tree-tippage in time to prevent total failure.

Are you talking about a bullseye level? Which would go at the top of the building?

Then a post level for the corners of the building?
Yes, A bulls eye level has been used on the starter cover on the saw to get the bar closer to level.
I think JD (Jack) Holdaway (?) Tried it with some success. He invented the rope jack as you probably already know.

If that is what we are referring to. Seems we are talking about both trees and buildings?

Oh, gotta get a fancy plastic plumb Bob, with a little rollie ball, huh? A string and a old nut ain't good enough eh? Lolz

We've spent so much time dinking about, the tree coulada changed addresses.

I would think you'd get better results with a plumb bob hung at a height, or a well-settled throw line over a redirect with a plumb bob.

A stake in the ground that's marked exactly below the plumb bob would seem to register faster. Magnification through a larger instrument.

Sap, bud, flower, leaf and seed weight will affect things seasonally, quickly, I'd think.
I don't know how wood weight would affect things.

Still no word as to what they want to do. But I might suggest a few different methods of measurement, the Levo gauge and a plumb bob.

Back