Throw Line

Zing it for me it's all I have ever used, besides some thin poly junk that I use when I have to leave a job for the night and pull the climb line out.

Zing...overdue to buy some. I find a tiny bit unruly when brand new then is sweet...at the end of it's life it becomes really unruly tangling on itself...Gerry's vid shows trick of making new line behave by tying between two trees, will try it next time

Just don't get the Petzl Airline. Overpriced clustertangle (restraining myself from using harsher words). I've tried a few different brands and keep coming back to the smaller diameter Zing-it.

Same here.
I use Dyna glide to pull small trees over with, but it is a bitch the get to run in anything not smooth barked.

Still haven't found anything better than zing it, proper care and storage minimise tangles.

I've given up on leaving throwline (of any brand) stored in a folded up cube. Frequent tangle disappointments, esp. when the cube isn't used for a week or so. Going to try TreeStuff's throw line spool thingy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A bucket does work just fine. That shot line winder from TreeStuff looks like a big spinning reel spool, it should work, but it looks like it would put a twist in the line as you wind it around the spool instead of just flaking into a bucket or cube. Let us know how it works. Thanks for all the input guys, I'm ordering the Zing It now. I just read the reviews on the winder and it sounds great.

I have one of those reels. I have been using it exclusively since I tried petzl airline, and it flaked like crap into my falteimer. One of the most important things that I have noticed with the reel is to make sure and wind it clean and tight, but not too tight. I have been having pretty good luck with it, and have been using it for a couple of months now. I got it a few years ago, and had a couple of hangups so I gave up on it. I have an ams bowfishing reel that I need to start messing around with in all my spare time.

That's kinda what I was thinking tarzan. Small dia zing it , big shot, and a open face salt water reel.

Just don't get the Petzl Airline. Overpriced clustertangle (restraining myself from using harsher words). I've tried a few different brands and keep coming back to the smaller diameter Zing-it.

Yep, agree on the Petzl Airline, a true exercise in frustration. Total waste of money. Here it is flaked into a cube and onto the ground after about 25 throws.

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

Glad I listened to climbmit on the zing it. That pretzel throw line is junk 25 throws and still like that? Sorry. Bstewret. I bet that is aggravating as all get out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have one of those reels. I have been using it exclusively since I tried petzl airline, and it flaked like crap into my falteimer. One of the most important things that I have noticed with the reel is to make sure and wind it clean and tight, but not too tight. I have been having pretty good luck with it, and have been using it for a couple of months now. I got it a few years ago, and had a couple of hangups so I gave up on it. I have an ams bowfishing reel that I need to start messing around with in all my spare time.
Hey Tarzan, I've got an AMS big game retriever reel too, but don't know if it would hold enough line. It is a great principle though, as it flakes the line into a plastic bottle with no twist, is pretty much drag free on the shot and reels in fairly easily. It's what we use for gators and saltwater fish and I have never had a tangle. If we could make a bigger container for the line it may be the cat's meow. I believe you and Mr. Gerald Beraneck had a couple of prototypes of the Shot Line reels didn't you? I was going to ask him to add his two cents as he was in this from the beginning. Looking at the pics, I' still not sure if you wind the line in with a handle or hand wrap it around the spool. I was thinking about it today and either way, you're going to get twist in either the shot and/or the wind. Have you experienced that?

I've given up on leaving throwline (of any brand) stored in a folded up cube. Frequent tangle disappointments, esp. when the cube isn't used for a week or so. Going to try TreeStuff's throw line spool thingy.

Use one all the time and rarely am ever able to get a tangle out of it. Jim pulled down his youtube vid of how to use it but it is basically just a big fishing reel that sits on the ground for your cast (shot.) Jim showed the line wrapped around your leg one full time and then pinched between legs if you need more friction as you wind it in. He did 200 ft. in 20 seconds or some such but I take my time and it is on perfectly and ready for another shot in a minute or so. (Only got tangles at first when I wound it too loose.)

Want other thoughts?

Don’t wind it with other variable loads on it, throw ball, climb rope going up into tree, heavy friction etc..

I use rubber gripped thin gloves (Atlas 370?) to pull throwline out of tree as I move along and deposit line onto fresh ground. Then I wind it up from there.

It comes set up to use one end with a six or eight inch loop on the end to be (girth hitched?) onto your projectile. I untied the other end from the spool and tied a similar loop on that end. Used a short piece of throwline to tie a heavy fishing swivel and clip to same place on spool. Now I can use either end of the line to shoot or to pull up a rope. Simplifies things and evens out wear on throwline.

Employed an old padded computer bag to hold two of these, RopeKnight and back-up bags, gloves used for line handling etc..

Tell us if the employment of this tool doesn't save time and make you money while making this process a lot more enjoyable.

Limbrat, you hold the center of the spool with one hand wind on a knob or a little swivel if you like the feel of that better - no twist. And to your original post question I am using whatever is on the reels (Fling It I believe) and it is durable and awesome. All my other throwlines and cubes sit idle and begging.

Im liking the 1.4mm jet set dyneema throw line from treestuff for those long shots (formerly know as fling it)

It would be nice if these arbo Companys would sell 300ft rolls, not 180ft or 1000ft :|:

I have to tie two lines together, so I dont come up short on over 100ft + shots :thumbup:

Thanks, Merle!
The winder has been shipped from TreeStuff and will hopefully arrive by weeks end.
I used the Search function on Arboristsite, and came across an old thread about that winder, incl. a bunch of posts by the inventor.
The twist in the line from winding it in is apparently not a concern - the throwbag will untwist the line as it comes down, or something like that.

Back