Thoughts? tree launcher shoots line up to 250 feets

morgan c.

Treehouser
I wanted to know what everyone thought of this product. apparently it shoots up to 250 feet and is very accurate. the product is stainless steel and air pressured so I don't have to deal with breaking rubber bands or illegal gun powder. The price seems to not be to bad if it can reduce my labor cost. heres a video of the product on youtube, or their website DTXTooling.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_h-8gpEJHw&t=7s

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think this one is $199.00 its solid stainless steel, so im not dealing with cheap china made plastic parts. its also cool this thing has a safety so "bob the new guy" doesn't shoot someones face off. They have a few models on their website.

Man, he almost shot that bag into the next county.
Not too smart IMO.

Not really... The pressure was downed just enough to get over the target and he was standing directly under the branch so it went right up and over. Yes if the pressure was more than need that bag would have been blasted in the woods.

The APTA has been around for a few years now. It is made from heavy gauge aluminum and a brass valve, not much to break or wear out. As far as I know is made in the USA. It will lanch a standard soft throw bag as accurately as you can shoot it. I use a lazer sight on mine and it will hit whatever I can hold the dot on.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=11138

yes we are very aware of this product. Not to impressed with quality, accuracy, or distance. there is also no safety.

What makes you think that yours (it is yours? ) is more accurate? Do you think that the plastic barrel on yours will last longer than the aluminum one on the APTA?

What makes you think that yours (it is yours? ) is more accurate? Do you think that the plastic barrel on yours will last longer than the aluminum one on the APTA?

They are built completely different. we have tested both products and there really is no comparison to accuracy and distance. We were hitting a 8 inch target almost every shot about 60 feet up. This company has been making high powered, high quality, air pressured products for many years. This unit does not look like it was made in a garage with cheap material.

What? The BS is awesome!!! Who is "we?"
Well your the first arborist I have heard say that! All the guys ive talked to who use the BS say it takes at least 5-10 shots to hit the target. Plus only goes 100 feet max. The reel system also keeps the line from tangling up while shooting.

I've shot 170' with a BS (and due to luck as much as skill, hit the big hanger in a BIG doug-fir, first shot). Similarly, shooting fishing line off a mounted fishing reel). We had to extend the 150' line, so 170 is pretty accurate. 5 years ago.

I bang out my APTA shots pretty solidly, for eye-balling, not using a laser, at 100'. I'm not claiming 8" window, but again, not using a laser.

It sounds like you need to identify the "we" and "them" in your statements if you want those statements to be taken as credible. Nothing wrong with believing in something but you are displaying a strong bias.

Personally, I'm a function over fashion person in most regards. So long as it shoots well, is durable, and affordable, it could look like a 4th grade science project.

It sounds like you need to identify the "we" and "them" in your statements if you want those statements to be taken as credible. Nothing wrong with believing in something but you are displaying a strong bias.

Noted. But I have not heard much good info about them.

Well your the first arborist I have heard say that! All the guys ive talked to who use the BS say it takes at least 5-10 shots to hit the target. Plus only goes 100 feet max. The reel system also keeps the line from tangling up while shooting.

I've set lines in Redwoods and Sequoias up to 180" with the Big Shot.

It doesn't take 5-10 shots to hit the target.
The rule is, either you hit it in your first shot or it takes 20-30.

I shot and used this product and really liked it. I was just curious what other arborist thought of it and would it be worth buying since the price point is similar to others.

I've never needed to set a line at 100' or more. Usually 50' or so is typical around here. The bigshot has served me well over the years. I can often get where I need to go on the first shot although I only use it 2 or 3 times per year.

I am quite satisfied with the APTA, though I use it sparingly to keep my throwing honed. I couldn't care less about a safety on a device I aired up to fire a bag with. I don't pump it up until I'm ready to shoot it. As to accuracy, I have found the weight of the bag used, as well as how well it fits the bore makes a big difference. Another point to argue, is that the device mentioned uses monofilament, which is much lighter than dyneema/spectra, as well as feeding off a spinning reel, rather than from a cube. Not bashing the thing, but I'll stick with my APTA when I need to shoot a line.

Dave, could you post a pic of how you attached a laser to yours?

After looking at the DTX website, it appears all they did was redesign the APTA with a larger air chamber, a "safety" and the addition of a spinning reel. I have put 130# of air in my APTA many times. I don't understand their "100 PSI" limit.

I am quite satisfied with the APTA, though I use it sparingly to keep my throwing honed. I couldn't care less about a safety on a device I aired up to fire a bag with. I don't pump it up until I'm ready to shoot it. As to accuracy, I have found the weight of the bag used, as well as how well it fits the bore makes a big difference. Another point to argue, is that the device mentioned uses monofilament, which is much lighter than dyneema/spectra, as well as feeding off a spinning reel, rather than from a cube. Not bashing the thing, but I'll stick with my APTA when I need to shoot a line.

Dave, could you post a pic of how you attached a laser to yours?

After looking at the DTX website, it appears all they did was redesign the APTA with a larger air chamber, a "safety" and the addition of a spinning reel. I have put 130# of air in my APTA many times. I don't understand their "100 PSI" limit.

My question to answers like this is, do you only prefer the APTA because you have already purchased the product? If you had both units with you on site already paid for you wouldn't go with a more well built accurate product?
My experience the mono on that line is wayyyy more strong than spectra. ive broken many lines trying to pull my climbing rope through heavy brush. People catch 1,000 pound marlin on 50 pound mono, and this was 100 pound mono.
And to the reel effect. I hands down love it. Before having to shoot from a box or bucket half the time my line went up in a clump and effected my rang and accuracy.

Hard to say which I'd prefer if I had them in hand to compare. I still disagree with you that the DTX is "more accurate" by design, as it is nearly identical to the APTA from the valve forward. As to catching 1000# marlin on 50# mono, that's entirely different. Reel drag plays a large part in that, and you're only pulling the fish through the water, as opposed to pulling a rope through or over obstruction, which often has NO give to it. So they're using 500# test mono? My spectra is 450#, and I have one set up with 1000# Dynaglide.

I used two-sided tape and zip ties to mount the laser and picatinny rail, temporarily, just to see if the setup would work. Ha! That was over 4 years ago and I still have not bothered to drill, tap and mount it as it should be. Oh well, it still works great.

Attachments

• 20150425_103321-2.jpg
    20150425_103321-2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 63
Back