The Official Work Pictures Thread

All four Cory. The two rears had to be and it wouldn’t add any stability to widen the fronts. Worked off the rear quadrant the whole time. Couldn’t have taken it anywhere else. To many things in the way and way to many power lines in front

Wow, Ive never had all four shortened, just two on one side.

That must be a somewhat sketchy feeling, glad it stayed routine

I got a call yesterday from a State forester, the local mill needed Doug fir pronto!.
Could we log 250 Cubic meters, preferably 3 days ago.
So I called a guy, who subs for me, and we rolled on it today.
Both apprentices were in Hog heaven.
It was first time for my logging gal, but she took to it like ducks take to water and put a fair amount of trees on the ground.
Way more that I expected, in fact.

I called the forester at day's end and told him the job was done.
He right away booked us for some more Doug fir in may.

One of those days that had everybody smiling.

Attachments

• 20230331_111507.jpg
    20230331_111507.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 38
  • 20230331_111608.jpg
    20230331_111608.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 36
  • 20230331_111805.jpg
    20230331_111805.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Backyard red maple today. Took a vacation day to do tree work. Set up rigging but then just pieced it down. Lots of handsaw work and controlled drops due to fence and patio. Fell the 7’ trunk. We have to hand load anyway so I may as well send the ground control smaller stuff. Double firewood chunked all 3 leaders. We’ll rake, blow, and load the rest of the bigger wood tomorrow.

Attachments

• 888CB515-BD77-4161-8FFA-87A32510544D.jpeg
    888CB515-BD77-4161-8FFA-87A32510544D.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • C433B34A-BA0A-4ACB-8FF3-FBF5C4822073.jpeg
    C433B34A-BA0A-4ACB-8FF3-FBF5C4822073.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 6BE7FDD6-1744-47A7-B3BA-ACD0842E39FF.jpeg
    6BE7FDD6-1744-47A7-B3BA-ACD0842E39FF.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 10
@stig At first glance, the thumbnails of your apprentice looked like she was wearing a low necked top. I was disappointed, it would've been an interesting explanation. ;)

That was a nasty one, Fiona.
Did you get your saw pinched when cutting the twisted part, or did most of the stress come out of it as you removed weight.
I hate to cut twisted wood.

I saw that too! I was thinking "That's interesting woods attire" :^D
Since we usually suffer badly from the heat when summer logging on Island Møn, she asked if it would be ok to work in a sports bra.
I told her that for all I care, she could work topless.
But since Blackberries is the caracter plant down there, I didn't think her breasts would thank her for that.
End of the sports bra idea.
We can't even wear short sleaves down there.

I like being armored. That's another good thing about winter. The extra clothes make it nicer to get through the woods.

Why does falling conifers bring more money?

The answer to that is quite complex:

Before mechanical harvesters arrived, the pay scale for cutting was based on a " The smaller the diameter, the higher the price per cubic meter" list.

That means, for every type of log, there was a scematic table where the price went down as the diameter went up.

Reason being, the fatter the tree, the faster one can make cubic meters.

Also the price was graduated so the shorter the logs, the higher the price per cubic meter.
Same reason.

So calculating the pay was quite a complex affair and could lead to a lot of bad feelings.
Enough in fact, that our neighbour country Sweden made a government measuring agency, that ensured that all measuring of wood was done by a neutral part, instead of forest owners ( who'd measure too high when selling and too low when paying the logger) or the Mills ( who ALWAYS try to measure too low)

Harvesters did away with all that for manual felling, since today we only fell the stuff that is too big for them.
So now we work on a fixed price per cubic meter.

The reason we get paid so well for large conifers is that I fooled the State forests

:D

See, when we started logging for them, we had to agree on a price.
So I took the old scale, updated that to counter inflation and asked if they were ok with that.
Of course they were, it was what had always been paid per cubic meter.

Here is the catch: conifers are non native to Denmark and have only been grown here commercially for 80-90 years.
So the old scale stops at 50 cm diameter, simply because there were nothing much bigger back then.

The stuff we log is mostly bigger, but since we use the old scale, the price has not been adjusted downwards, simply because no-one thought of it ( except me)

I don't know what prices other outfits have managed to get, but my team grin all the way to the bank.

Yes, it was a bitbtricky.
I put the ratchets on to stop the crack propagating and as it happened as I carefully cut each limb that was stuck in the trees, it stayed where it was.
So it got cut from the tops back after stripping the free hanging stuff.
Even with all the end weight removed, as I got to the cracked bit I had to use a wedge as it moved all over the show, up, down, sideways. I cut like 15cm cookies and it was still trying to pinch.
at was a nasty one, Fiona.
Did you get your saw pinched when cutting the twisted part, or did most of the stress come out of it as you removed weight.
I hate to cut twisted wood.

Back