The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice approach you have. I don't buy used clothes but the ones my wife buys are at least virtually always on sale. Plus, I decluttered my clothes and what is left is more than enough to last the rest of my life.

"In August 2016, a park ranger stumbled upon 323 dead wild tundra reindeer in Norway’s remote Hardangervidda plateau. They had been killed in a freak lightning event. But instead of removing the carcasses, the park decided to leave them where they were, allowing nature to take its course – and scientists to study this island of decomposition and how it might change the arctic tundra ecosystem."

Good article

Good read, you mean we don’t have to intervene in natural processes??

Who knew, eh?! It's a wonder how the earth made it as far as it did without humans managing everything!

A reassessment of Nero...

"But what if Nero wasn’t such a monster? What if he didn’t invent the spectator sport of throwing Christians to the lions in the Colosseum? What if he wasn’t the tyrant who murdered upstanding Roman senators and debauched their wives? Indeed, what if the whole lurid rap sheet has been an elaborate set-up, with Nero as history’s patsy? After all, we have no eyewitness testimony from Nero’s reign. Any contemporaneous writings have been lost. The ancient Roman sources we do have date from considerably after Nero’s suicide in A.D. 68. The case against Nero, then, is largely hearsay, amplified and distorted over two millennia in history’s longest game of telephone. Besides, no one really wants to straighten out the record. Who wants another version of Nero? He’s the perfect evil tyrant just the way he is."

This article isn't super interesting, but it links to some other mildly interesting articles too. What I like about it is it vindicates my design preference against modern lighting. IMO, candlelight is the wavelength to emulate, with incandescent lighting a runner up. Amber switch lights are more appealing than blue. Everywhere I can, I minimize bright white and blue (back)lighting. Easier on the eyes, and it just looks better...

"Some user experience designers have been criticizing our reliance on blue light, including Amber Case, author of the book Calm Technology. On her Medium blog she documented the way blue light has become “the color of the future,” thanks in part to films like 1982’s Blade Runner. The environmentally-motivated switch from incandescent light bulbs to high-efficiency (and high-wattage) LED bulbs further pushed us into blue light’s path. But, Case writes, “f pop culture has helped lead us into a blue-lit reality that’s hurting us so much, it can help lead us toward a new design aesthetic bathed in orange.” "

A thoughtful look at the challenges New England arborists and foresters are facing. Not cheerful, but a real look at the waves of species loss were dealing with

Fun fact: I learned to climb trees at a workshop taught by Bear and Melissa! Cool ladies

Sean! Ya beat me to it with this article. I skimmed the beginning and ran out of time so will read it later, though I'm sorta not looking forward to it after you mentioned elsewhere some of the insect threats to the Maine woods. When I was there in September, I marveled at the new growth coming up in a selectively logged area, lots of oaks coming up and saw healthy ash were widespread, more than the Ct ash population (was), so all of that was good to see.g
As for the future::/:

Cool article here on seizures in marine mammals. I liked it on general principles, plus, I have a lab with seizures and it's interesting to see what is being developed.

This is a good article on the truly amazing and human-benefitting aspects of the Amazon. The author is very good and wrote a cool book called The Shaman's Apprentice.

Very curious to see more studying on this.
Not really surprising at all, but still fascinating.

I used to think urban camping in Detroit would be fun. Get in those old wrecked buildings, and check everything out. I think that ship's sailing though, and I wouldn't do it without a rifle or shotty anyway.

Very curious to see more studying on this.
Not really surprising at all, but still fascinating.
Nah just slater them with sanitizer it's faster and "safer". (sarcasm of course)
Kids need dirt .

Everyone needs dirt. I consciously avoid washing my hands before lunch if I'm at the office, unless there's chunks stuck to my hands, or stuff like motor oil. I wash them after eating my oranges, to get rid of sticky hands. I don't own sanitizer, and explicitly avoid anything with *cide in the name. I'm healthier than most.

Lots of kindergardens here are built in or adjacent to forests.
Then they do daily trips with the kids and play in the woods.
We have a local one where they bus kids from inner Copenhagen out.
Different kindergardens come out a day at the time and play and walk in "Nature".

A longish article on knotweed...

The good...

“But nobody talks about the benefits.” Such as: Knotweed’s late-blooming flowers provide a snack for bees in the waning days of summer and produce a mild-flavored honey. Researchers in the Czech Republic have concluded that knotweed can be effectively processed into briquette biofuels because it grows so fast. Knotweed is rich in resveratrol, the family of molecules present in red wine and thought to be responsible for the health benefits associated with wine consumption. If it’s not growing in contaminated urban soil, it’s edible, with a lemony flavor and juicy crunch. Also, it’s just really interesting.

The bad...

How did knotweed become so widespread in the U.K.? Only a female specimen had made the trip from Nagasaki to Utrecht to London to the watersheds of Ireland and Wales, so there were no knotweed seeds in the British Isles, just fragments of the plant’s underground stems. But that was enough. In 2000, biologists Michelle Hollingsworth and John Bailey analyzed 150 samples from across the U.K. and concluded that British knotweed was all a clone of that original plant, now one of the world’s largest. The DNA was identical. Not just one species but a single plant had conquered the entire United Kingdom.

The ugly...

“We did one hotel, where on opening day the hotel had lumps in the carpet,” he said. “They rolled it back, and knotweed was coming through.”)

MCPA knocks them on their ass, if you spray it on a warm, sunny day.
Doesn't work on it's own, but in combination with Glyphosate and a scythe, it does.
Alternate between them, the scythe is for the same tactic that broke first Napoleon, then Hitler in Russia, scorched Earth.
Don't leave a single stalk alive.
Take a nice evening stroll around the property.
Carrying the scythe gives you a nice grim reaper feel.
Wipe out every one that has survived the chemicals.

Alternatively, find out if the US army still have a stockpile of Agent orange.

Ha, great article synopsis, much appreciated!

That is an interesting website

Mozilla bought them(Pocket), and are trying to make a little money through subscriptions. A lot of people have complained about the integration of Pocket into the Firefox browser, but it's really a nothingburger. The code is just an inoperative stub if unused, and the recommended articles on the new tab page can be turned off if desired. I like them. Gives me some light reading like the landing pages of AOL or Yahoo, but tends to be more intelligent/interesting. I don't have a use for the paid service, but I like having the new tab articles, though I've noticed an increase in sponsored content(ads) lately.

edit:
This is what the Pocket portion of the new tab pages looks like...

c5S4eOb.png

The articles go a bit lower(number is configurable), and you can see the "sponsored" articles, and at least one junk article. They aren't all gems.

Last edited:
That's a neat thing. Kinda weird seeing something that tall with only a little blob of greenery on the top.

Back